1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 10:51 AM by flex_starter

Cairngorm and sockets just a question

tpawliuk
      I have recently started to learn Flex and have started to use the Cairngorm architecture and was wondering how do sockets come into play?

I understand the whole service request model where you send the command along to the service and request the data from the remote object, httpservice, etc. However I wanted to use a socket to connect to a Java server for a simple learning exercise and I was somewhat puzzled as how to do this using the Cairngorm architecture .

The way I had originally thought and implemented and it works is to inside the "SocketConnection.as" class when I respond to a DataEvent ( ie something coming in on the socket ) I create an "Event" which I had registered with the "Front Controller" which inturn calls a "Command" which calls a "Delegate" which then updates the "Model Locator". So ultimately I seem to be ignoring the result and possibly fault aspects of the "Commands" to send and receive.

My overall question is are sockets a viable option in the Cairngorm architecture and if so what is the best way to use them?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Tomas Pawliuk