19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 5:14 AM by Steve Grisetti

Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11

Igor_hain Level 1

Hello,

I would like to import an video from Canon HV 30 Camcorder to Premiere Elements 11. I can open the video import window in Premiere Elements (Import from HDV) and use the camera controlls from the PC, but if I start recording the sequence, the cam starts to play but PE don't record anything. So I can't import any videos from the cam. But thats not all. If I try to import a video from a folder on PC, than the import seems to succeed, but there is no motion in the preview window, when I click on "play". So the preview window is freezed. Conclusion: There is no way for me to use Premiere Elements with this camcorder . Please help me!

- I use Adobe Premiere Elements 11 - 30 days trial (German)

- I have Windows 7 64 Bit installed

- I connect the cam from HDV to FireWire on the PC, just like in the manual of the cam

- The sequence was filmed in HDV-Format

- I already install an Codec-Pack, but it doesn't helped.

- I CAN import and edit this video to Pinaccle Studio

- I CAN import the video to PC via Windows Life Photogallery

- I CAN open this AVI File with Windows Media Player

Have you an Idea? I already wrote to Canon support, but the told me to ask Adobe about this

Thank You!

Igor

• 1. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>install an Codec-Pack, but it doesn't helped

VERY bad idea... some codec packs have caused major problems with Adobe software

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/cant-capture-dv-hdv-video.html

-and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4708997

I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 2. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with John.

Your life will be so much easier if you capture tape-based HDV footage over a FireWire connection. It's one of the formats that is ideally suited to the program!

Any other way of getting it onto your computer is likely to make it problematic.

But, with a FireWire connection, you CAN capture your video win HDV Split and it will be perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements.

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 3. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Igor,

There are some aspects of FireWire Capture from a miniDV tape camera, whether SD (Standard Def), or HDV (High Def Video), and from what you wrote, I will assume that all are working fine, but I will step through those aspects, just to make sure:

• When the camera is attached to the computer via FireWire, and turned on to the proper mode, does the OS see the camera correctly, and do you get the "bing-bong" sound from the computer?
              • With Win7, what is the FireWire driver that you are using? Most often, that needs to set to the "Legacy" driver. See this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869277?tstart=0
              • You should have full camera control, i.e. Play, Pause, FFW and Rew. It seems that you do, but I just want to check.
              • While one cannot preview, except via the camera's monitor, the Video during Capture, you seem to be hearing the Audio. Is that correct?

Many users have found that there is a trick to doing Capture over FireWire, and this is usually camera-specific. There are several possible orders of turning things ON. Let's explore those for a moment, please:

1. One can plug-in the camera via FireWire, then launch PrE, then the Capture module, THEN turn the camera ON, in the proper Mode.
              2. One can plug-in the camera, via FireWire, then launch PrE, then turn the camera ON, in the proper Mode, THEN launch the Capture module.
              3. One can plug-in the camera, via FireWire, then turn the camera ON, in the proper Mode, then launch PrE, THEN launch the Capture module.

I would NEVER turn the camera ON, BEFORE plugging in via FireWire. In a very few cases, that has led to damage to the camera's FireWire port. It should be safe to do, BUT some users have encountered damage, so I would not adivse doing that.

Please let us know the answers to the questions posed, and also whether the order of connection, launching, turning ON makes any difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                JMJarrige Level 2

Igor, I had a similar problem when using Premiere Pro trial version : HDV capture was not possible although DV clips were

imported without problem.

It is not only a capture issue, but a codec one (related I think to MPEG2 coding used in HDV) which is released when you

officialy buy the software. It's apparently why you can't use HDV clips recorded via another tool.

I think the trial version for Premiere Elements has this limitation too.

Of course the full version of PREL 11 I use is fully able to capture and edit my clips from my Sony HC9 HDV.

Bonne chance.

JM

• 5. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

JM,

Before about PrPro CS 5, that was a major limitation with the trial version. As of CS 5, those MainConcept MPEG CODEC's were added to the trial.

I am not aware of any such limitations with PrE, even its trial. Now, one might have a corrupt installation of the MainConcept CODEC's (the supplier that Adobe uses for most CODEC's, that are not included with the OS), and the results would be the same.

With many CODEC's, one can use a utility, like Sherlock, to test the CODEC's installed in the system. Even G-Spot will survey CODEC's. However, since Adobe "hides" its MainConcept CODEC's (to keep other programs from overwriting them), those utilities will very often report that the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's are broken, or missing, so they are of little use in this case. They too often report "false positives" for corruption, or problems on the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's, when there are none. Wish that I knew a fail safe way around this potential problem.

In older versions of PrE, there was an option to do a Repair Install, that would correct bad, or missing MainConcept CODEC's, but do not know if that option is still available with newer versions of PrE. I know that it was discontinued (sad move, IMHO) from some other recent Adobe programs. If available, I would definitely use it first, as that operation will fix bad, or missing, .DLLS, MainConcept CODEC's, and all sorts of problems.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                    Igor_hain Level 1

Before I had installed this codec pack, I wasn't able to import a video from a local folder and the was a message "required codecs are not installed". After I installed this codec-pack, it seems that I can import videos to PrE, but now I have this problem with freezed preview (as mentioned above). Now there is no message "required codecs are not installed" there. Although, it doesn't solve my problem...

• 7. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                      Igor_hain Level 1

Steve,

I'm not shure, if I know what you mean. I try to import my HDV video via FireWire, I do everything like in the Canons manual...

• 8. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                        Igor_hain Level 1

By the way, thank you for your help!

• 9. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11

I noticed, by the way, that you are using the 30-day trial version of the program. Is that still true?

The trial version is very limited and does not include the components necessary to work with a number of video formats, include high-definition video.

In other words, if you are using the trial version of the program, that would explain why you are not seeing smooth playback of this video on your timeline. (The video also very likely has an Adobe logo overlayed on it when you add your video to your timeline.)

• 10. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                            Igor_hain Level 1

So, I found out something really interesting today:

I was able to import my video, by clicking at DV camcorder, instead of HDV camcorder in the "add media" window, like in the screenshot below:

Unbenannt.PNG

It doesnt make any sence for me, because Canon HV30 IS an HDV camcorder, not an DV camcorder! But even in another video-editing software, import was only successfull, when I used the DV-Import window.

@Bill: Yes, the OS always see the camera, when I plug it in via FireWire

I don't know, whats the name of my FireWire driver. Maybe this screenshot will help you?

Unbenannt_1.PNG

Yes, I have full camera controll, although I can't import anything in the HDV-Camcorder import dialog, I can press play, ffw, rewind and so on. But at the top of the window is an text saying "camera is offline". If I choose DV-Camcorder import dialog, then I see a text saying "camera is connected"...

No, there is no video AND no audio in the HDV-Cam import dialog.

The order of connection made no difference, in each of the three variants the camera was "offline".

• 11. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                              Igor_hain Level 1

Yes thats true, and this trial version runs out of time tomorrow...

When i was downloading this trial I was notifyed about the watermark in the preview window and in the exported videos. But I didn't red anything about any other limitations. IMHO it is necessery to give the trial version all of the functions like in an full version, in my case it depends on whether I buy this software or not

• 12. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                                Igor_hain Level 1

my next question isn't about PrE, but I hope you can help me, because I am not so fit when its about videoformats and resolution.

Canon HV30 is able to capture videos with resolution 1080i. At my opinion it means, that my video has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 Pixels (aspect ratio ist definetly 16:9). But when I import this video to PC (don't matter which way), than I have a resolution of 720 x 576 Pixels. In the camcorder, I set the capture setup to HDV (I can choose between HDV, HDV25p, DV Widescreen and DV normal) and component out is also set to 1080i/576i. Do I get something wrong about 1080i? I expected FullHD

• 13. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                                  nealeh Level 5

720 x 576 is a PAL Standard Definition format (and would be created by either of the DV formats you list).

Once you have imported the video where are you then seeing this 720 x 576 pixel descriptor - in the raw file as imported, or in an output that your are subsequently creating?

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 14. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                                    Igor_hain Level 1

I can see it, when I see the properties for the AVI File, the was created by the import. I tried importibg with Windows Live Photogallery, PsE, Pinnaccle and Magix, the resolution is always the same :/

• 15. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11

It's beginning to sound more and more like your camcorder's playback settings are set to DV Lock -- a feature that outputs your HDV video as standard resolution DV -- which would explain a lot of things.

Could that be the case?

• 16. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                                        nealeh Level 5

From the specifications on Canon's web site:

TERMINAL

USB     USB 2.0 Full Speed

DV     YES (In/Out)

AV     YES

S-video     NO

Component     YES

HDMI     YES

PC CONNECTION KIT

Digital Video Solution Disk     YES (v28)

USB Cable     YES

I suspect that using the DV connector outputs standard definition and that you use the USB connector to transfer HDV directly from the memory card. In PRE you can then import the HDV clip from the folder.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 17. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11

If it's a tape-based camcorder, it should still use a FireWire connection to capture HDV.

• 18. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11
                                            Igor_hain Level 1

Thank you once again, for your help. I solved the problem today.   I inserted a new cassette and scrolled through the playback menu. Now there was a setting there, which standard I prefer to TRANSFER my video. I had to choose between A (Automatik), HDV and DV. It was set to A, so I changed it to HVD- and see there! Now, PsE see the camera in the HDV import dialog and I can import the clips without any problems .  I think, that ist it, what you mean, Steve. I don't know, why I hadn't had thiese settings with the old cassette, maybe I just hadn't spottet them, on the other side, I scrolled hundreds of times in the menu and didn't found them... However, now it is working and I have a litte more knowledge about video formats

And sorry for my english

• 19. Re: Capturing Video from Canon HV30 to Premiere Elements 11

Grea to hear you have solved the problem, Igor!