2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 9:32 AM by cscooper2013

Adobe CC and shared video memory

Douglas Starnes Level 1

This may have been posted already so I apologize in advance.

How well, if at all, will Adobe Premiere and After Effects CC perform on a Mac with shared video memory?  The machine in question is the current 13" MB Air with a dual core i5 and 8GB with an SSD.  The problem is no dedicated video memory and to get it you have to move up to the 15" MBP Retina which are $2K+.  Has anyone tried this?

• 1. Re: Adobe CC and shared video memory
          cscooper2013 Level 2

It should perform fine... er... as well as CC can perform (which is hit or miss at the moment).  You won't have access to GPU acceleration, but it's a fairly modern laptop so Mercury playback (software) engine should be fine.  Premiere is pretty flexible when it comes to hardware, though better hardware always performs better.  If you edit AVCHD or MPEG2, you'll probably run into problems.

• 2. Re: Adobe CC and shared video memory
            cscooper2013 Level 2

Sorry, I wasn't too familiar with the MacBook Air.  So I went and checked the specs.  Not incredibly powerful, when comparing to a MacBook Pro or most "Gaming" (how I despise that moniker) Laptop PCs in the same price range as the Air.  Are you looking to buy this, or do you already own it?  If you're going to buy it, I would at least upgrade it from the i5 to the i7 option.