21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2013 10:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen

Cjt7

I am using Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 7. I have created show that is 1 hr 18 minutes long. When I burn to folder it says space required is 4.48 GB. I am using disc with 4.7 GB space. I have wasted 5 discs trying to redo this. I have all antivirus turned off, have nothing else on computer open and have screen saver turned off. It doesn't always stop in the same place and sometimes it ends with a green screen. So, I split the show up to put on 2 separate discs hoping that maybe it was an issue with disc space. The second part is only 21 minutes long and when I burn to folder it says I only need 698MB but when I burn to disc I still don't get entire show and it still ends with green screen. What am I doing wrong? I also restart the computer before I try to burn again.

Is there a way to preview the show from the folder before I actually burn it on a disc? I don't want to keep wasting these discs. I have used Memorex and Staples brand discs.

• 1. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What happens if you select the option to Burn to Folder rather than directly to disc?

• 2. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

"I have used Memorex and Staples brand discs."

But let's see if you can create your files to a folder first. Then we'll deal with discs of more trusted quality.

• 3. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
              Cjt7 Level 1

I have been burning to a folder and then use image burn and nero to get on a disc.

I have Verbatim dvd-r also, what do you recommend?

• 4. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve on doing the Burn to Folder. I do this as my first "test" for a Project. I then play that VIDEO_TS folder in one of my DVD software players.

If everything is perfect, then I will use a burning utility, like the great, free ImgBurn, to burn a physical DVD-Video. At this step, I use a DVD-RW (Rewritable), and then test that in my hardware DVD players, from the computer, to set-top units. I have a pack of 5 Verbatim DVD-RW's, that have lasted me for several years now - no more "coasters."

If everything is still perfect, I will burn to a Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden or Falcon Pro blank disc, for delivery. I only use the DVD-RW's for testing, as some DVD set-top players do not handle them well.

Even for testing purposes, I do not recommend either Memorex, or any "store brand" blank disc, as they can actually made by anyone. They buy the cheapest available blank media from others, then rebrand those discs with their logo. A spindle of 50 might have blank discs from 4-5 different companies, and with very different quality levels.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                  Cjt7 Level 1

Every show I have burned has been burned to a folder first. What DVD software player opens the VIDEO_TS folder so I can view the show before putting on a disc?

• 6. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

If you are burning to disc or burning to folder (4.7GB), your disc type is intended for DVD 4.7 GB/120 min. But, please note that in reality that 4.7 GB spec is 4.38 GB. If you were using a DVD Double Layer One Sided labelled 8.5 GB/240 min, in reality that 8.5 GB is 7.9 GB.

When you are in the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 burn dialog, do you have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". If you are, what does the burn dialog Quality Area show for Bitrate? 8.00 Mbps is the maximum value that the program provides. A value less than that indicating that the program is trying to make the fit by lowering the Bitrate. The lower the Bitrate, the lower the quality. What is the Bitrate reading when you are seeing Space Required 4.38 GB?

You are dealing with a 32 bit application in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 even Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. Such does not afford you resource advantages in these large projects that you would get with the 64 bit application in a 64 bit system.

Here is what I would like clarification on:

1. Are you using ImgBurn for the burn to DVD for the VIDEO_TS Folder ONLY? Have you used ImgBurn successfully before, or is this the first time you are using it?

2. What is on that Timeline...photos, videos, other....photos, how many and what pixel dimensions; videos, what format; what are you setting as the project preset?

a. What do your previews look like in the Edit Mode?

b. When you playback your rendered Timeline, does the Timeline Indicator stop at the end of the content or does it continue on for a while?

3. How many main menu pages, how many scene menu pages?

Let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR has addressed several potential issues.

As for which software players to use, I use CyberLink's PowerDirector (there are several CyberLink programs, that can play the VIDEO_TS foler), and MediaPlayer Classic HC (free). These are on my PC's, but would imagine that similar exist for a Mac.

There are also other programs, and suites of programs, that can do so too, like Nero and Roxio. The only reason that I do not mention those two, is that most versions also contain "packet-writing" software, to allow for drag-and-drop operations, and those modules (DLA, or InCD) can cause issues. Newer versions of Nero and Roxio allow the user to NOT install those modules, but one needs to do a Custom Install, to keep those off their computer. Still, I have Nero on most of my computers, but WITHOUT the packet-writing module, or any of the Nero "helper," or "cataloging" modules - just the base program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

cjt7

Go to the folder that was generated by the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 burn to folder, open that folder. You will find two folders there.

OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS.

a. Double click the VIDEO-TS Folder to open it.

b. Look for and right click the VTS_01_01.VOB (your video file), select Open and playback your VOB.

You can do that all before your VIDEO_TS Folder burn to DVD with ImgBurn.

That information plus what your Timeline content looks like before burn to folder should enhance the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If Open does not open to one of your computer players...I would ask, do you have the free VLC Media Player or PowerDVD installed on your computer?

• 9. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                          Cjt7 Level 1

Thanks everyone for the information. I will try to give you more info to troubleshoot.

When I view the show from the folder, it doesn't have the complete show but it doesn't end with a green screen.

do you have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Yes it is checked

what does the burn dialog Quality Area show for Bitrate

Bitrate 8.00 Mbps (for the 2nd part/smaller part of show)

What is the Bitrate reading when you are seeing Space Required 4.38 GB

Bitrate is 7.46 Mbps

. Are you using ImgBurn for the burn to DVD for the VIDEO_TS Folder ONLY? Have you used ImgBurn successfully before, or is this the first time you are using it?

I have used ImgBurn before and it worked fine. Yes I am only burning the VIDEO_TS folder.

2. What is on that Timeline...photos, videos, other....photos, how many and what pixel dimensions; videos, what format; what are you setting as the project preset?

There are just video clips. Around 65 separate clips. Format: .mov

Project Preset: I'm not sure. I don't change anything (I have probably only done about 4 videos ever) When I create new project it shows: NTSC-AVCHD-AVCHD LITE 720p60 So I am assuming this is what my current project is. I don't know how to check what this show is.

a. What do your previews look like in the Edit Mode?

They are ok. The quality to start with wasn't great. My uncle video taped a wedding and then gave me the SD card to put to dvd so I am just getting frustrated.

b. When you playback your rendered Timeline, does the Timeline Indicator stop at the end of the content or does it continue on for a while?

Does the timeline automatically render? When I view in edit it goes continuously to the end.

Let me explain again what I did: The first show with the wedding and the reception that was 1 hr 18 minutes was saved to folder and then burned to disc. It stopped at maybe an hour into the show so I deleted the first part of the show (the part that actually burned) and saved as a new show with the 2nd half of the show at 20 minutes. So the clips that didn't burn in the first show did burn in the 2nd show but it still didn't burn the end of the show. It stopped at around 7 minutes into the show.

3. How many main menu pages, how many scene menu pages

1 main menu and no scene menus

I downloeaded VLC Media Player and viewed the VTS_01_01.VOB in my folder and that worked, however, now when I look at that file in my folder it shows under "type" as VLC media file (.vob) Will this still burn to dvd then with img burn?

Again, hope this clarifies some things. I just don't hardly ever work with video clips so I am probably messing something up. Thanks so much!

• 10. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

This is the plan:

Ruling In or Out Factors

1. Open your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project and view the Timeline content for this 1 hour 18 minutes project.

a. Check the placement of the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar. The one at the far left is placed at the start of the Timeline where your Timeline contents begins. The second gray tab is placed at the end of the last item on the Timeline. Those two tabs should span the contents of the 1 hour 18 minutes project. Do they?

WorkAreaBarTabs.JPG

If not set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar so that they span just the whole Timeline content. To do that for the right gray tab, move the Timeline Indicator to the End of the Timeline content, hold down the Alt Key of the computer main keyboard and click on the right bracket key ] ; to do that for the left gray tab, move the Timeline Indicator to the beginning of the Timeline content and click on the left bracket key [

b. Next press the End Key of the computer main keyboard. Does the Timeline Indicator (blue head red stem) move to the end of the last Timeline content?

If not, expand the Timeline using the -+ slider above the Timeline and look for slivers or clips left behind beyond the area of the project's wanted content. The slivers typically present as very thin vertical black lines. Check the placement of menu markers, making sure that you have at least a 15 frame/0.5 second space between them. Two menu markers cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

2. When you get to Share/Disc/DVD

a. for Burn to Disc: use a DVD Double Layer Single Sided (spec'd at 8.5 GB/240 min) for best results.

b. for Burn to Folder: use Folder (8.5 GB) for best results.

You can try the above with the DVD-R (spec'd at 4.7 GB/120 min) but your bitrate of about 7 Mbps suggests a decrease in quality because the program has to lower the bitrate from 8 to 7 to make the fit.

In the above start from the project.prel that you have edited for destination DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Do not use any intermedary products that you have generated in your troubleshooting prior to this post.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                              Cjt7 Level 1

a. Check the placement of the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar. The one at the far left is placed at the start of the Timeline where your Timeline contents begins. The second gray tab is placed at the end of the last item on the Timeline. Those two tabs should span the contents of the 1 hour 18 minutes project. Do they?

Yes

b. Next press the End Key of the computer main keyboard. Does the Timeline Indicator (blue head red stem) move to the end of the last Timeline content?

Yes

a. for Burn to Disc: use a DVD Double Layer Single Sided (spec'd at 8.5 GB/240 min) for best results.

b. for Burn to Folder: use Folder (8.5 GB) for best results.

I would need to burn on double layer dvd then right? I don't have any right now. In all honesty, the video quality to start with isn't that great because of the camera my uncle used so I am not concerned about that....I just want it to burn right.

In the above start from the project.prel that you have edited for destination DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Do not use any intermedary products that you have generated in your troubleshooting prior to this post.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this. Just use the original show I created before asking for help?

I have a iMac that Premiere Elements is on too. Would it work to move all the videos and assets over there along with the Premiere show and try to burn it there?

• 12. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

Thanks again for the follow up.

The main goal of my prior post was to determine

a. That the gray tabs of the Work Bar Area spanned just the content of your Timeline

and

b.  That there was no content located beyond the end of the Timeline content (as evidenced by pressing the End Key taking you to the end of your Timeline content and not to some far off place to the far right),

The Premiere Elements Windows project.prel file (or some other variations that I will not go into) is not going to work on Premiere Elements Mac. Can you export your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Timeline content to Share/Computer/QuickTime with a preset = NTSC DV or NTSC DV 16:9 to get a DV.mov file that you can bring into the Mac computer? Please remind me what you have been using in the burn dialog for the preset...the one for standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9.

I will explore other alternatives and report back later, but please let me know if any of the above helps.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                  Cjt7 Level 1

I haven't forgotten your help. I am working on too many things at once and haven't gotten back to this yet, but I will. Thanks!

• 14. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                    Cjt7 Level 1

Here are some project settings. Maybe problem is here?

premiere general.PNG

premiere video render.PNG

• 15. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

As you mentioned earlier and have just confirmed with your latest post's screenshot, you have set your project preset (new project dialog) as

NTSC-AVCHD-AVCHD LITE 720p60

Have we established if that setting matched all the video that you placed on the Timeline? And, if not, did you scale those that did not to fit the space in the Edit Mode monitor?

In all that has been done and said so far, let us try the following if it has not been done yet and I missed it

1. File Menu/Save A Copy of the original project.

2. Using the copy delete 1/2 the content. It does not matter what, just delete everything beyond the 1/2 mark, retaining the first half.

3. Using the copy delete 1/2 the content. This time delete the first half, retaining the second half.

4. Try to burn each of them separately. What happens in each case...green at end?

5. Brief recap on "..it ends with a green screen..". Is this the end of the movie, playback stopped, and you are looking at a green screen rather than black or the last frame of the video? Or, does the movie continues to run after the last frame of the video, displaying green until the playback finally stops. If the latter is the case, how long does it play with the green displays until the playback stops displaying a black screen?

My thoughts on this for now.

ATR

• 16. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                        Cjt7 Level 1

Here are properties for clips in show. I am showing 1st clip and last clip to compare.

video property 1.PNGvideo property 1b.PNG

video property 68.PNGvideo property 68b.PNG

Brief recap on "..it ends with a green screen..". Is this the end of the movie, playback stopped, and you are looking at a green screen rather than black or the last frame of the video? Or, does the movie continues to run after the last frame of the video, displaying green until the playback finally stops. If the latter is the case, how long does it play with the green displays until the playback stops displaying a black screen?

It is at of movie and green screen shows for approx 15 seconds and then show stops, however, there should still be at least 10 minutes left of the actual show that didn't burn to the folder. It never shows a black screen just stops after green screen.

Before I got your message today, I tried to burn to folder the 2nd part of the show that I separated out and saved as its own show and it stalled with message "transcoding error" I restarted computer but haven't tried burning again. I am wondering if I should just start over as totally new show? If I do that what settings should I use to start the show? Or maybe I will give my uncle what I have and have him find someone else to fight this and burn him a dvd?

• 17. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

Thanks for the follow up.

Let us not give the project to your Uncle just yet.

A few posts back you wrote that your project preset is

NTSC-AVCHD-AVCHD LITE 720p60

That was evidenced by the Project Settings that you are in effect in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

But, in your latest post you show the video properties as

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

So there is something that is not right.

Please consider starting a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project

a. Verify that you footage is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

b. If that is your video properties, the open a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 new project with the project preset of

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

c. Import your media with Get Media/Files and Folders

d. Do a mini test run to Burn to Disc DVD with the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen preset and see if the green matter is gone.

Please let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                            Cjt7 Level 1

Sorry so long to respond....busy with 4th of July.

Here is what MediaInfo gives:

MEDIA INFO (1).PNG

Not sure if this is what you meant as where to find video properties? I don't see 1440 x 1080 HD?

• 19. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

Thanks for the reply and the screenshot of your video's MediaInfo properties readout.

Under Video, we see Width = 1440 and Height = 1080, Display Aspect Ratio = 16:9, Scan Type = Progressive, and Frame Rate 29.97 frames per second included in the video's properties. The video compression is AVCHD (avi1). File extension = .mov. Not sure about audio. But that is enough for now.

There is no Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project present for 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second which is what you appear to have. But, there is one for 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. So, let us use the latter for setting the project preset in the new project dialog. Our focus is the space created in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes based on the video, not audio properties. If we were going to be doing frame by frame by frame editing that would be a different matter.

So the plan...to see what the end product looks like...

Before all else....delete the BadDrivers.txt file...Windows 7 64 bit route

Loca Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives on so that you can see the complete path.

Then....

a. Open a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 new project with the project preset of

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

b. Import your media with Get Media/Files and Folders

c. Do a mini test run to Burn to Disc DVD with the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen preset and see if the green matter is gone.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                                Cjt7 Level 1

Ok. So I redid this changing the settings and it got 82% done and then said transcoding error and stopped. I am done. Like I said earlier, I do these so seldom I will see if another one will work later but I don't know how long it will be before that happens. My uncle just picked everything up today so I am just going to leave things as they are. THANKS so much for all the help and information. I may not have been able to get this one to work, but I have learned so much! I appreciate the time you took to help me work through it.

• 21. Re: Show on disc not complete and ends with green screen
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

Thanks for the update.

Sorry the news was not better for you with this project.

You are to be congratulations for your hard work and stick-to-it-tiveness throughout the troubleshooting. Lots learned.

So, do not give up on your future video editing projects.

Looking forward to future video editing good news.

ATR