3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 3:19 PM by Mark_Rausch

Edge Inspect waiting for a connection

johnteh1980

Sorry to add another one of these connection issue questions, but i have gone through this forum and tried everything i can fnd that is related to my issue.

I am on an iMac using Mountain Lion - firewall disabled

Installed Chrome Inspect extension (no other extensions installed). Icon present in broswer, not greyed out.

Installed App on iPhone 5.

Launch App and can see my computers name 'johniMac'. Tap to connect but get 'Error connecting'

Extension just keeps 'Waiting for connection'.

Using a 3 Wifi dongle. Have gone into the settings and added the following:

NameStatusTrigger PortTrigger ProtocolOpen ProtocolOpen PortOptions
      EdgeOn3074BothBoth7682Edit  Delete

The firewall is switched off on the dongle.

Not sure what the Trigger Port for Edge is though. It is defined as: The outbound port of applications. It is a single port.

If i use Terminal to Netstat my Mac is get the following:

tcp4       0      0  *.7682                 *.*                    LISTEN    

tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.26164        *.*                    LISTEN    

tcp4       0      0  *.17500                *.*                    LISTEN    

tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.4380         *.*                    LISTEN    

tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.4370         *.*                    LISTEN    

tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.631          *.*                    LISTEN    

tcp6       0      0  ::1.631                *.*                    LISTEN   

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Edge Inspect waiting for a connection
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

I had to look up port triggering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_triggering myself. I'm not convinced I understand it given my quick read, but I don't it's relevant here. I'm also not clear on how the 3 Wifi dongle works, but if it's attached to the same computer your device is trying to connect to, that might be the crux of the issue somehow. Can you try making a manual connection by clicking the button in the upper right corner of your iPhone. Enter the IP address shown at the top of the Edge Inspect Chrome extension dialog. If there are multiple IP addresses shown, try each in turn.

Here are some other things to look at:

1. Can you shut down the Edge Inspect app and run netstat again to make sure nothing else is using port 7682?
          2. Do you have a VPN client running? If so, turn that off.
          3. Do you have access to another network (e.g. coffee shop, etc) that you could connect both the computer and the device to that you could try to see if it works there? Just a test to see if elminating the dongle allows you to connect...

Let me know how it goes,

Mark

• 2. Re: Edge Inspect waiting for a connection
            johnteh1980 Level 1

Until i start up the Edge Inpect app, port 7682 is NOT listed in the netstat results.

The Dongle is wireless - but it's basically connected to the internet using 3g (not great i know).

I'm using a 27" iMac so don't have access to any other wifi connections.

If i try to manually connect to my iMacs IP address it fails.

I cna test the dongle connection tomorrow as a work colleague has a mac book and uses Edge Inspect no problem.

• 3. Re: Edge Inspect waiting for a connection
              Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Cool, try to test two scenarios...  his device connecting to your iMac and your device connecting to his macbook. Just make sure everything is on the same wireless network and let me know what results you see.

Thanks,

Mark