9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2013 3:26 AM by Jay Chevako

Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate

kkirton Level 1

I'm running Pagemaker 6.5 on a PC with Win7-Ultimate. I dont use Pagemaker much, but recently it stopped allowing me to Place images.  I cannot drag and drop or Place.  When I try, I get "Cannot place this file. File contains invalid data. 8601:29766."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling PM, and still have the same problem.  I'd like to know if there's a fix for this before going out and buying/subscribing to InDesign since I rarely need to do layout.

Can an Adobe Support Engineer let me know if this is fixable?  Thank you,

Kurt

• 1. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I apologize for  responding even though I'm not an Adobe Support Engineer, but there are not many of them around here - in fact, I would say I haven't met one in years, or perhaps decades.

Adobe stopped supporting PM many years ago. And the program is written using programming tools  over 15 years old. You seem to be one of the few lucky ones who can manage even to install it in Win7.

• 2. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
            BigJohnD Level 3

PM was killed off almost ten years ago, and was never intended for Windows 7. Use your version of PM with a contemporary OS.(Win2K is probably the best for PM6.5 or PM7.)

You're probably using a progressive JPG image.  PageMaker does not support progressive JPGs nor 16bits/channels TIFFs. Use Photoshop and re-save as 8bits/channel TIFFs.

Re: images in PM:

●       ONLY use File>Place to bring graphics into PageMaker

When placing images in a PageMaker file, the following message appears:

“The graphic in the linked file would occupy xxxxxxx bytes in the publication. Include the complete copy in the publication anyway?”

The correct answer to this question is always "NO".

(You can permanently avoid this popup in future docs by unchecking "store copy in publication" under Element -> Link Options with no publication open. You can do the

same to avoid further prompts in pre- existing documents.)

●       Do NOT use Insert Object or Paste Special

Object Linking and Embedding is highly problematic in the Postscript environment (e.g. creating PDFs), severely restricts portability (other applications have to be present) and is really only present in PageMaker to gain Microsoft approval as a Windows application. It has been dispensed with in newer applications, e.g. InDesign.

●       Do not Place graphics from a floppy, Zip disk, CD, or network drive. Copy the graphic file to your local hard drive, then Place.

●       Use only TIF or EPS graphics (plus PSD and AI with PM7)

●       Do NOT use JPEG, GIF, WMF, CGM, DXF, or any graphics format other than TIF or EPS.

●       You can place PDFs as graphics - they are essentially handled as EPS by PageMaker.

●       Do NOT copy/paste graphics from other applications. The Windows clipboard will lose information required by PageMaker for high quality output.

●       Do not embed your graphics in PageMaker documents. Link only. (See the first bullet point)

●       Save Illustrator or CorelDraw graphics as EPS for placing in PageMaker

●       For best results with Illustrator EPS, convert all type to outlines, and save back to version 7.

●       Save Photoshop graphics as TIF (the exception is duotones - save as EPS)

●       Size your Photoshop graphics in Photoshop - do not scale in PageMaker, or if you must, do NOT scale UP (e.g. stretch a TIF to make it larger) in PageMaker.

●       Photoshop's preferences should be set to NOT embed profiles in grayscale images - they can cause problems in PageMaker

●       PageMaker supports transparency in vector EPS or TIFs with clipping paths ONLY. GIFs will not retain transparency and shouldn't be used in PageMaker anyway.

• 3. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
              kkirton Level 1

Hi Claudio, thanks for your kind reply. I'm happy to see there are other recent questions in this forum!

• 4. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
                kkirton Level 1

Hi Bigjohn,

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately after saving my jpg as an 8bit tiff, I get a new error when Placing... "Cannot place this file. Unsupported photometric Interpretation. 8601:20745."  Ah well, maybe it's time to buy InDesign.

• 6. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
                  Jay Chevako Level 3

Make sure you save the tiff with either lzw or no compression as pagemaker will not support tiffs with jpg or zip compression. While I doubt this is your problem, don't place tiffs with layers in pagemaker. Jpgs should have the baseline set to standard. Pagemaker is old and it does not support some of the newer flavors of the image formats.
                  Jay

• 7. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
                    kkirton Level 1

Hey Jay,

I tried making both tif's and jpg's as you advised, and both Placed into a new PM document! I also unchecked "ICC profile" as I made the files, just in case.

Problem solved. I won't have to buy InDesign yet. Thanks to everyone who took the time to advise and help, especially BigJohn. I guess I should be thankful I can get PM to work so well on my Dell desktop with Win7.

• 8. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
                      Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Yes, tou should, and enjoy your luck. But don't forget you are playing with fire, and save frequently and in different versons: 1, 2, 3, ... until you finally finish your job.

• 9. Re: Placing images denied issue - Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 on Win7-Ultimate
                        Jay Chevako Level 3

Glad it worked. I ended up using Photoshop .eps files to place into pagemaker, because they would pass through Pagemaker's horrible excuse for color manangement untouched.

Be warned that pagemaker always had a certain amount of instability, add that to win 7 and I wouldn't trust that setup for any kind of paying job.
                        Jay