14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 7:04 AM by Steve Grisetti

How to do a animation on a map?

moonpie001 Level 1

Hay folks, I use Premiere Elements 11.  I am working on a genealogy project and wanted to show a map of Europe and the migration path that my relatives took.  I wanted to start at London and then show a animated path to other important towns and countries on their way to America.  Is this possable to do with Premiere Elements 11?  What I want to go for is a look similar to that in the beguining of the movie Gettysburg, where both Lee (shown using a red line)  and Grants troops (using a blue line) are moving on a map at the same time while naration explains the strategy, both parties arive in Gettysburg.  I only want to use one line but want it to move from location to location with my nariation.  I have thought about green screen and a line (but dont know how to animate that line) and then use it as a mask.  Any suggestion would be most helpful!

Moonpie

• 1. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, one can do this in PrE. However, it would probably be easiest if one also has Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements.

Basically, in PrE, you would Import your "map" Image (TIFF, PNG, or PSD would be great), and set its Duration, as desired on the Timeline, say 30 sec.. Then you can use Titler to draw your "line." Place that Title on a higher Video Track. Then add the Crop Effect to that Title, and use Keyframes to animate that Effect, to first cover the entire line, then slowly reveal the line over time.

To me, the only drawback to that method is that the Crop Effect has a hard line, when revealing the line. However, that might not be an issue. Look at the edge of the line, being revealed, and determine if that is going to be an issue for you.

There are other, similar methods, but they get a bit more involved, and rely on Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements.

Also, though probably not really an option, PrPro and After Effects, have additional controls. Still, they are totally separate, and very expensive programs. I have done "writing on a chalkboard" with Photoshp and PrPro, and it looks like someone IS writing with a piece of chalk on a board.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I believe that Steve Grisetti has a tutorial on what you want to do, and will post a link, as soon as I find it.

• 3. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can also see my demo tutorial for doing this kind of effect on the left side of this page (as well as a link to my special effects book, which describes step by step how to do it and 49 other video tricks).

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

• 4. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I also highly recommend that book! Besides the Line on a Map, Steve has many great tutorials for other effects. Worth every penny, IMHO.

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                moonpie001 Level 1

Hay Bill thanks for the information, Steve sent me the tutorial and I purchased his book today!  Look forward to it! 

Thank you my friend

Moonpie

• 6. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Moonpie,

I think that you will find all sorts of very useful instructions in that book.

Enjoy, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                    moonpie001 Level 1

Bill

I do also have Adobe Elements Photoshop 11, I like how they both use the same editor.  I do not know Photoshop as well as Premiere Elements (my third installment) however my mind was going a mile a minute when you mentioned possibilities using this program also.  I think it was the lasso tool and masking that could do the trick.  In any event I will probably use Steve's recommendations in his book, this will work fine!  Thank you for your responses, I appreciate you!

Moonpie

• 8. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Moonpie,

You will need to help me a bit here, as I do not have Photoshop Elements, but only the big-brother, Photoshop.

Here is how I would do the line on a map, in Photoshop:

1. Either Import the map, from my scanner, or if I have it in digital form, Open that Image.
                      2. It will then be the Background in the Image.
                      3. Create a New Layer. [I would do this from the New Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette. I cannot direct you where it will be in PsE.] Rename that Layer to "Line Layer."
                      4. Using probably the Path/Pen Tool, I would create a Working Path, that follows the path that my travels took me over that map, or the path that ancestors used. The reason for using the Path/Pen Tool is that it will allow me to create smooth, Bezier Curves, and also to easily edit the Path that it creates. If one has not used the Path/Pen Tool, then I would read that section in the Help File, and practice with it a bit. It is unlike actually painting with the Pencil, or Brush Tool, but is so very powerful. When done, you will have a Working Path in the Paths Palette. At that point, I would Save that Working Path, and name it to suit.
                      5. Now, set your Pencil, or Brush Tool (your choice) to the Size that you want, and the Color desired, then with your Line Layer Active, and that Path Active, on the Paths Palete, choose Stroke Path. This will "paint" that Path, with the Pencil, or Brush Tool, onto your New Layer.
                      6. With that Line Layer active, click on the Layer Mask icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette. [This is another area, where my lack of knowledge of PsE will show, as I am not 100% positive that PsE 11 has added Layer Masks, but I think that it has.]
                      7. Now, with that Layer Mask Active (you can check that in the Channels Palette), paint over the line. When the Layer Mask is made Active, your Colors will change to black and white. Black will paint IN the Mask, and that is what you want to do.
                      8. When you have painted in the Mask completely with black, you will no longer see your line.
                      9. Hit the X key, to swap the Colors, so that you have white. Paint out a small portion of that Mask with the white, using a soft-edged Brush.
                      10. Do a Save_As PSD, and number this Image ___ .001.
                      11. Paint out another small portion of the Mask and do another Save_As PSD, and number this Image ___ .002.
                      12. Repeat, until the entire Mask has been removed, and you have all of the PSD's, with the line increasing to its full length.
                      13. [One could also just paint IN the Mask, basically going backward, and doing the first Save_As PSD to the highest increment that you know you will need. I like my stated method, as I do not have to calculate the number of increments - I just end up with what I need.]

Now, you have a series of PSD's with the line "growing" from the starting point. You have a decision to make. If you want the line to grow very quickly (one Frame per PSD), you can Import those PSD's as an Image Sequence. However, if you want the line to grow more slowly, you will probably want to experiment just a bit. I would anticipate that Importing those PSD's with a Duration of about 15 Frames (basically 1/2 sec.) would be fine, but you can decide for yourself. Go to Edit>Preferences>General and set your Still Image Duration to 15 sec.. I would also set the Video Transition Duration to 15 sec., as well.

Import your PSD's, and drag them, in their numerical order, to the Timeline.

Add a Cross-Dissolve between each PSD.

Done.

Some neat advantages of using the Photoshop method is that one can have multiple lines, and they can even "extend" at different rates, plus by painting OUT that Mask with a soft-edged Brush, you have a softer edge to the line, more like it is being drawn by a marker.

Let us know what you find in PsE 11, and someone can probably step you though any difficulties in that program. I wish that I knew more about it, but others here, like Steve Grisetti, Neale and ATR do know it, and can help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                        moonpie001 Level 1

Bill

Looks easy enough, will run it through and see how it works.  I am still working on a learning curve with Photoshop Elements, just got version 11 last week and installed.  Will let you know how it works.

Thanks again for your assistance, I appreciate it greatly!

Moonpie001

• 10. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Moonpie,

The process is far easier to do, than to type out.

The only concern that I have is the Layer Masks. Those were not in PsE, but when I posted to the PsE Forum, asking if they had been added to PsE 11, I was told that they had, along with Layer Sets (both features in Ps), but as I do not have PsE 11, I cannot verify.

If everything now exists in PsE 11, then this would be a good exercise to work through. Personally, I learn most quickly and better, by first reading, and then by doing. This could be a good excuse for "doing."

I edited some things down, as I use a slightly different workflow (very similar, but with differences), and I feel certain that PsE does NOT have Layer Comps, like Ps has. Also, since I use PrPro more than PrE, I Import my Layered PSD files as a Sequence, so it's easier to "animate." As PrE does not allow for that, or have Sequences, I sort of "trimmed" my article down a bit, to accommodate Ps (and hopefully PsE 11), and PrE.

When I did that chalk writing on a chalk board Intro, I used about the same technique. As I was using a "handwriting font," I had all sorts of twists and turns, and it had to look like an invisible hand was writing the text. Were it not for Layer Masks, I could never have done it. For a simple line, the Keyframed Effect>Crop works fine, except for the hard line, which I am not keen on. Still, that is quick and simple, and if the hard line is not an issue, it's a lot less work - though I never shy from work, so long as my end result benefits.

Good luck, and if you run into any hangups, let us know. There might be other ways to "skin this cat."

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                            moonpie001 Level 1

Bill

Thanks again for your added information and you are spot on with your comments about the layer mask in PsE 11, that is probably the most exciting thing about the whole program!  I am like you, I may spend hours or days trying different things to make them work correctly and give the proper finished look.  I had at one time did this animation using Power Point but that is a whole other discussion.  I like the idea of having something besides strait lines because in my genealogy project people did not have the use of airline miles (straight line paths)to go from location to location.  This bit adds needed realism to the stories, if it means taking a path through the mountains or around dangerous or unmarked territory.  (it would be hard to tell the story of Lewis and Clark with straight lines).  Somewhere there is a happy medium and with the tips Steve and yourself have offered, I can probably figure it out, at least most of the way!

Again thanks for your comments!

Moonpie001

• 12. Re: How to do a animation on a map?

Thanks for supporting the book, Moonpie!

• 13. Re: How to do a animation on a map?
                                moonpie001 Level 1

I joined Muvipix yesterday and took the whole tour, look forward to our moving forward in my learning of Premiere Elements 11 and Photoshop Elements 11.  I appreciate your support of these two fine programs.

Moonpie001

• 14. Re: How to do a animation on a map?

And thanks for supporting our site too!!!