7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 4:51 AM by Peter Spier

indesign quits when saving to pdf

Angieaaa Level 1

I really need help here - Every time I save my file to any pdf format indesign quits. The pdf is made but has an error so wont open. There are no errors listed and all files are cmyk or pdf. Ive embedded all the links but still no good, all the colours are cmyk.

Im at a loss to know what it can be. The files embedded are pdf psd ai and tiff.

Can someone please help as Im running out of time for my deadline!!

Angie

using indesign CC on a mac osx 10 .8 .4

• 1. Re: indesign quits when saving to pdf
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Embedding the files won't help or fix your issue.

Do any pages export? Indesign does not save to PDF you need to choose File>Export and pick the pdf settings.

Do any of these PDF settings work?

Try exporting half the book then export the other half.

Whatever half does not export you can keep halving it until you find the problematic page.

• 2. Re: indesign quits when saving to pdf
            Angieaaa Level 1

HI, Logically embedding should not make any difference and it hasnt but I m trying anything!

Indesign does have Adobe presets, I have tried both ways and several profiles! I have now converted the ai into pdf and that still wont work.

Thanks for the comments anyway....

• 3. Re: indesign quits when saving to pdf
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you get any error messages?

Have you tried Eugene's suggestion to export half of the document at a time? If both halvew work, combine them in Acrobat. If one half fails, dived that in half and repeat, continuing until you isolate a bad page or pages. The culprit is usually an image, but not always, and you can isolate that by moving half the objects to the pasteboard at a time.

• 4. Re: indesign quits when saving to pdf
                Angieaaa Level 1

HI Peter

i have just gone thru each image and yes I found it, started at the bottom and yes it was the top one! no idea why was fine and all correct formats, may be too big!!

Ive had this problem exporting from quark recently so decided on this one to use indesign. It would be nice if Adobe could put a function in that identifies the error for normal people to read rather than the pages of gobbledegook in the error log!

Thanks for your advice, this job should have taken 2 hours and has taken 5!!...on to the next!!

• 5. Re: indesign quits when saving to pdf
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sometimes images get corrupted and need to be resaved so that the structure of the file can be intrepetted correctly.

Yes it would be nice if there was a function like that - plus a dozen other functions that Adobe have neglected to add, tweak, improve on etc. over the years

I see in Indesign CC they put a preview of the page that you're creating in Real Time - yet in nearly 10 years it's never dawned on any of them to allow the user to change the Units of measurements they wish to work in...

• 6. Re: indesign quits when saving to pdf

Eugene Tyson wrote:

yet in nearly 10 years it's never dawned on any of them to allow the user to change the Units of measurements they wish to work in...

??????

• 7. Re: indesign quits when saving to pdf

And if you need to resave an image or graphic, I would choose native Photoshop, Illustrator or PDF formats over EPS, if that's waht the file is currently.