11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 5:13 AM by Ancient Dog

Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8

Ancient Dog Level 1

Lost many thumbnail prints in the transfer.  Designation is there, but picture replaced with a "daisy" and ?.  How do I recover??

• 1. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Until Windows 8 gets its first service pack (or is replaced by version 8.1), it's going to have these kinds of little set-backs. The daisy placeholder means that the program does not include the necessary components yet to create your thumbnails.

But, meantime:

WHICH VERSION OF PREMIERE ELEMENTS ARE YOU USING? This alone makes a world of difference.

Where are you seeing these "daisy" thumbnails? On you Premiere Elements timeline? In the Organizer's media browser? This too is very important to know.

Also:

* Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program's requirements?

* What model of camcorder is your video from and what format and resolution is it?

* Have you started a project yet set up for this format of video so that Premiere Elements can download and activate the necessary components?

* What happens when you put one of these clips at the beginning of your timeline? (It must be the FIRST clip on your timeline in order for the program to set up your project specs to match it -- and then it will only work in version 11.)

• 2. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
            Ancient Dog Level 1

Thanks for response.  Let me elaborate a little.  Using Premiere Elements 10.    Have over 4,000 pictures,  and all but about 161 came across fine under a specific Keyword tag.    Have a multitude of Keyword Tags,  as you can imagine, and appears there was only one that DIDN’T get listed  in the transfer, and apparently that had something to do with it.   Strange thing is that 9 thumbnail’s in that tag DID come thru  --  161 didn’t.    I put the specific Tag back into the system thinking that perhaps I could then highlite and drop these missing items in place  --  but no luck.   All contained in the Organizer’s media browser.

Actually have subscribed to Carbonite for some time,  and that’s where the download came from.    Each “Daisy” thumbnail appears to have proper Date/Time/and Keyword designation under it,  so assumed my system did get the download from them OK.     Frankly am well along in years, and NOT a guru, so really do appreciate the assist.

Ken

• 3. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So, is this a new computer or did you just update the operating system? It appears you uploaded your complete files to Carbonite and then downloaded them to your new computer.

If you're moving your files from one computer to another, you need to use the Move tool in the Elements Organizer to move them and your catalog or the metadata won't move with the files.

So I'm not sure how working through an online data storage site would affect a move or why some but not all of your keyword tags are being recognized.

• 4. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                nealeh Level 5

Is it just the thumbnails? Can you still open the files?

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 5. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                  Ancient Dog Level 1

New computer.   That’s why I opted to use Carbonite rather than file by file.   Interesting!!

• 6. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                    Ancient Dog Level 1

Only deficit I’ve found is in the thumbnails.     I sent my son a much more descriptive email.  If OK,  will pull it up and forward as well.  Take all the help I can get at this point!!

• 7. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                      Ancient Dog Level 1

Looks like you and Steve both trying to help!!  Am I correct?

Ken

• 8. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                        nealeh Level 5

Now Windows (possibly at Vista) lost the ability to display thumbnails for Adobe PSD files. To restore that on my own system I installed the free 'sagethumbs' shell extension that adds thumbnail previews for PSD and many other file types. You might want to give that a try and see if it restores your thumbnails.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 9. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Yes, both Steve and Neale are working on your questions.

Unlike with Adobe Technical Support, where you would work with one tech at a time, on the Forum you might receive assistance from several folk. Often, one might see something that another has missed, or perhaps answer another part of a question.

You have two of the best "regulars" here, that you could find.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                            Ancient Dog Level 1

Works for me!!!  We thank you for assistance.

Ken

• 11. Re: Converting from Windows 7 to Windows 8
                              Ancient Dog Level 1

Son Stuart due in in a day or so,  and will give this to him!!  He’s my guru, so to speak.