6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2013 3:49 PM by Mark Mapes

Do I need to re-name sidecar files?

vengenceisminesaiththeld

I have a bunch of footage i have rendered into MPEG in APPCS6. i want to re-name the files. do i need to re-name the sidecar files, too? what metadata is in these sidecar files? i made no changes to the footage except to make subclips and render.

• 1. Re: Do I need to re-name sidecar files?
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

If we're talking about XMP sidecar files, then you do not have to rename them. When PPRO or another Adobe program cannot find an XMP sidecar file for a clip, it simply write a new one.

So the key question is whether you care about any of the information in the original sidecar. Be aware that in the case of a clip you created by exporting, the metadata includes information from the source project like sequence markers (which effectively become clip markers in the encoded output.) That is, the metadata is not limited to information that you add after exporting.

The bottom line is that if you don't rename the sidecars, you should able to open and play the clips in Adobe apps as well as third party players and editors. But don't take my word for it: test this for yourself with a few clips before renaming all of them.

• 2. Re: Do I need to re-name sidecar files?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The questions I'd ask are what exactly did you export and what do you plan to do with the files?

• 3. Re: Do I need to re-name sidecar files?
              vengenceisminesaiththeld Level 1

I created an MPEG in premiere pro. Eventually I will burn this file to DVD, but it will be on a hard drive for a while. I plan to re-name the MPEG to fit naming convention.

• 4. Re: Do I need to re-name sidecar files?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd say go ahead and rename as desired and delete the sidecar files, but when you're ready for the DVD, export out a second time using the MPEG2-DVD preset, which creates multiple files for authoring, an .m2v with video, a .wav file for audio, and an .xmp and .xmpses files with data that Encore uses.  Keep those files unaltered.

• 5. Re: Do I need to re-name sidecar files?
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If we're talking about XMP sidecar files, then you do not have to rename them. When PPRO or another Adobe program cannot find an XMP sidecar file for a clip, it simply write a new one.

To clarify, Mark, I assume from previous issues with when PR sends, or does not send, chapter information, that chapter information (e.g. for Encore) is only in the sidecar, and that the other Adobe program in the usual case the OP is asking about, Encore, will not recreate it.

• 6. Re: Do I need to re-name sidecar files?
                    Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

If I understand correctly, then "Yes."  That was I was trying to convey in the second paragraph of my initial post. When no XMP file is found and a new one is created, it will be "vanilla," populated only with the information intrinsic to the clip.

@VengenceIMSTL: Keep in mind that when you originally export from PPRO, you can customize the name of the output file. If you do that, then the sidecar will be given the same name.