6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 4:36 AM by able123

PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion in Premiere

howard.z Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have come hat in had to ask the gurus here about format conversion. I have a Lagarith AVI that is PAL, 30 FPS & progressive. If I am encoding that to NTSC, what steps should I be taking?

Thanks!

Howard

• 1. Re: PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion in Premiere
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PAL is 25 frames per second.

So its already ntsc.

• 2. Re: PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion in Premiere
            Level 4

you dont have to have hat in hand... nobody is gonna bite your head off.

this is place where users of programs like YOU help each other.

To do that sometimes questions are answered with an eye toward fixing ( educating ? ) a person about the underlying causes of confusion. This means spending a moment to explain things sometimes...rather than just blurting out the obvious and making a poster look for the answer somewhere else.

NTSC is based on the electrical grid of 60 cycles per second... and so half of that is 30 frames per second.

PAL is based on an electrical grid that generates AC current at 50 cycles per second.. so half of THAT is 25 fps.

This has to do with broadcast TV. It has NOTHING to do with what your camera actually shoots, your options with your source material... it ONLY has to do with broadcast TV.

If you live in a country that is PAL ( like the UK ? ) then they broadcast PAL at 25fps.

If you live in a country like the USA then they broadcast at 30 FPS.

What you need to do is determine what country you want to send your product to... broadcast it...or make DVD for local TV's to watch it...

Do you live and work and want to deliver your video in PAL or NTSC ?

Again, this has NOTHING to do with what you shot your video with. It only has to do with what your delivery is.

If your original source material ( video you shot ) is 30 FPS... than it is in line with being NTSC...cause that's what the US and other places using 60 cycle per second electric generators use for their main power grid.

That is what Ann meant by saying it is " already" NTSC ".  she was referring to your source material if it is in fact 30 FPS.

What YOU do with that in your editing export etc to accomodate different 'markets'  ( pal and ntsc etc ) is up to YOU.... and there are different ways to do that...depending on which way you are going....

For example, interleaved is nice for some broadcast markets ... instead of progressive.  It all depends on stuff you want to deliver to.  It has nothing to do with what you SHOT it at...or your source material.

Google NTSC and PAL and progressive vs interlaced and you will start to see what is going on...

good luck !

• 3. Re: PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion in Premiere
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Convert NTSC <--> PAL http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1209530

NTSC = 720x480 with PAR .9 display at 4:3 or PAR = 1.212 16:9

PAL = 720x576 (I don't do PAL, so don't know PAR settings)

• 4. Re: PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion in Premiere
                Level 4

One more note about broadcast tv in general... which gets more compicated...

Some broadcasters ( depends on country and also the actual broadcast 'station'...) use digital broadcast or analog.

For example, in my new home town in MN. USA, the public access channels use analog broadcast to a cable provider. The analog broadcast from public access is then in turn " intepreted and delivered " via their equipment to digital broadcast.

So the public access broadcast 'station' likes NTSC 30 fps interlaced ( http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/progressive_scan.htm )

After THAT.. it goes to a cable provider to the neighborhood through THEIR equipment...and is delivered via that newer digital technology. THEN the cable box at a consumers 'home' interprets what it is getting..and gives your particular TV or monitor what it wants to show the picture as best it can.

If you are shooting to deliver exactly 30 fps... from source to consumer.. you are bound to realize that it is an exact frame by frame transfer.... which would give you the best quality in terms of translations or conversions.

it does get mind boggling for everyone.

• 5. Re: PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion in Premiere
                  streamthis Level 1

"...rather than just blurting out the obvious and making a poster look for the answer somewhere else."

able123, while the OP may be appreciative of your answer, perhaps the simple answer was all that was required.  "Oh, cool.  It's already NTSC!". The internet is awash in such explainations, so what's the harm in a few more clicks if they want to learn more?  Blurting out? Hardly.  The beginning of a discussion?  Perhaps.

Maybe the OP should tell us how the video will be used.  DVD, broadcast, laptop?

• 6. Re: PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion in Premiere
                    Level 4

the question obviously says something about what is known and not known. spend your time answering as best you can with details to help the poster know what to search for instead of giving me your opinion about my post. I dont care what you think.