4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 5:53 PM by Peter Spier

How do I number a ticket in 2 positions starting with 7001?

Momdukes16

How do I number a ticket in 2 positions starting with 7001?

• 1. Re: How do I number a ticket in 2 positions starting with 7001?
          MW Design Level 4

Have two columns in your CSV file for a data merge that begin with your starting number. Then place them in the two slots in your ID file. Run the merge.

Mike

• 2. Re: How do I number a ticket in 2 positions starting with 7001?
            Momdukes16 Level 1

Thanks Mike. I am not sure how to do the data merge as I have only ever numbered using the paragraph styles. I can make it work if I start with the number 1 but can't succussfully change the starting number. All of the numbering boxes end up having the same number in them. I do have the option checked for continuing across the page.

• 3. Re: How do I number a ticket in 2 positions starting with 7001?
              z284pwr Level 1

Data Merge is actually quite simple.

If you have Excel it's even easier.

Create 2 columns with column headers, maybe (Ticket #1, Ticket #2) and add your numbering to the rows as far as you need.  Save is as a CSV file.  Excel complains a few times so just keep clicking yes.  Close the file after you are done.  InDesign will complain the file is open.

In InDesign open the merging document.  Open the Data Merge panel (Window - Utilities - Data Merge)  With the window open Click the additional options button (down arrow with the 4 little lines) and choose Select Data Source to pick your CSV file.  Once selected in the main portion of the panel it should list the 2 different columns.  From there use the text tool to select where you want to number then click the column for one of the numbers from the data merge panel.  A blue marker will appear with the column header similar to <<Ticket #1>>.  Once that appaers you can click the preview check box in Data Merge and it will start showing your number.  When you have finished click the addtional options button again and choose Export to PDF to export the tickets.

• 4. Re: How do I number a ticket in 2 positions starting with 7001?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You really only need one column of numbers -- you can add the field twice -- but if you are doing multiple tickets per sheet you must make only one ticket placeholder on your tempalte inthe upper left position and choose "Multiple Records Per Page." ID will make the duplicates according to the spacing you set.

Data merge has developed a few bugs in recnt versions, so set your bottom and right margins to 0 to be sure you get as many tickets as will fit, and resist the urge to press the preview button.