4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 11:52 AM by stevefal

Scopes in Premiere Pro cause slowdown on MacPro?

COFilms Level 1

Hi,

I really hope that someone can shed some light on this for me as it is my one hate of editing in Premiere at the moment.

So, edited piece all good to go and ready for a quick colour correction then grade. I switch my workspace over to Color Correction from Editing (in Premiere Pro CC by the way) and open up the Reference Monitor so that I can see some scopes. I like the three scope set up with Waveform/Vector and RGB. I start playback and realise a clip needs correcting so stop, add an effect (normally Fast Color Corrector or RGB curves), then start tweaking parameters and the system suddenly is about as responsive as a cat with a full belly of milk! Not at all!

The machine was whizzing through the footage a second ago before I switched into the Color Correction workspace and opened up the scopes!!

Here are my specs:

Editing on a 2012 Mac Pro 12 core with 32GB Ram. Application is on internal SSD and footage is on internal hard drive (three 3 TB raided together - striped). The GPU is Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac which supports CUDA and GPU acceleration. I am running two displays - on main monitor and one HDTV both connected directly to Graphics card via DVI and Display Port to HDMI.

Does anyone here know what the problem is???

My thoughts are it could be one of the following:

• GPU not powerful enough
      • Hard Drive Bottle Neck
      • Second Screen
      • Too many scopes at once
      • Connecting monitor/screens straight into GPU rather than via a breakout box like Matrox MX2 Mini Max or similar
      • Premiere Pro's fault

I have tried losing the scopes and tweaking parameters and whatever workspace I'm in it works as expected. Silky smooth and responsive control of parameters. I can't begin to think how much this is slowing me down when it comes to Color correction.

Really grateful for any help or advice.

Cheers,

Alex

• 1. Re: Scopes in Premiere Pro cause slowdown on MacPro?
          stevefal Level 1

Hi Alex,

I just subscribed to CC after some experience with CS6. I immediately saw the same issue, but didn't know it was related to the scopes, which were already on in the first project I brought in. Thinking CC was crap, I called tech support in a last ditch before canceling my subscription within 30 days of purchase. While troubleshooting on the phone with support, I discovered the relationship to the scopes. I informed support and they said they would investigate offline and get back to me. That was a few days ago. I got one email saying they are still researching, and nothing further so far.

Today I thought I'd research online, and found your post. It's a little distressing that you hit the same issue so long ago. I'll point your case out to my contact. Please tell me if you ever find a solution before Adobe does.

[EDIT] A slight refinement on the repro case for this issue. For me it's not that merely that a scope is ON that causes the intermittently frozen timeline, but that the reference monitor is Ganged to Program Monitor. If you ungang, the timeline works properly. Of course this makes the reference monitor less convenient, because it's not looking at what you are. But at least you don't have to open/close it so often.

• 2. Re: Scopes in Premiere Pro cause slowdown on MacPro?
            COFilms Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for writing on this thread. I haven't had the chance to really check out this issue much more but when I do I will reply here and let you know what I find. I recently updated our hardware to the new Mac Pro 2013 model with dual d700 GPUs so am expecting to see this issue go away.

Be in touch soon

Cheers

Alex

• 3. Re: Scopes in Premiere Pro cause slowdown on MacPro?
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Stevefal,

I would try using your system with only one monitor and then seeing what happens.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 4. Re: Scopes in Premiere Pro cause slowdown on MacPro?
                stevefal Level 1

I would try using your system with only one monitor and then seeing what happens.

Running one monitor has no effect on the issue.