21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 5:11 AM by Clint Porter

Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value

stuartbnewsom Level 1

Hello all, I'm at work and i'm getting this terrible bug where modifying a value for one of the Character settings result in some random large value. So far it happened for Font Size, Line Height, Character Spacing and Base Line Shift.

It seems this issue has been around since CS6 was released, with dates randing from Early 2012 to early 2013. Haven't found a solution nor has any updates fixed the issue. HELP! This greatly impacts my work production.

Thanks,

Brad

PS: The version of photoshop says 14.0

PPS: Just want to see if other issues were relevant and its true that when you transform the text, the character scaling goes wonky. So is there a solution to this yet? This issue has been around since early last year.

• 1. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
          Brett N Adobe Employee

Not seeing wonky behavior on my side. Will need more details:

Are you changing values in the Tool Options bar at the top or with the Character panel?

Are you typing values in or changing via scrubbing?

• 2. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
            stuartbnewsom Level 1

I'm changing the values by Scrubbing on the Character panel. Addionally the problem exists even on the Top bar. Again, it seems this only happens when you transform a text object it seems. Changing the values directly causes the same issue by replacing it with a number multiplied by the amount changed when transformed. It seems if you shrink an object, the value is multiplied by a negative, whereas enlarging an object will multiply it as a positive.

I think its the new way they CS6 is handling transforms that are causing this.

• 3. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
              charles badland Level 4

It is a known bug (both in CC and introduced in the last CS6 update)

Adobe says they are working on a fix.

Brett:

Check over at Photoshop.com in their Problems forum. This bug was introduced in the last CS6 update and is also in CC. It has been acknowledged and a fix is hopefully in the works for both CS6 and CC. It is a really annoying bug that occurs after text is scaled. All Character input with scrubby gets broken and all Tracking input (not just scrubby) is whacked after scaling text. A fix soon would be much appreciated.

• 4. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                stuartbnewsom Level 1

Its so fun walking around on egg shells with this program, attempting work with text without the excrucating need to transform uniformly. lol Yay!

• 5. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                  iChrisChatt Level 1

Every time I scrub the tracking or kerning it gives me a funky value so example ... I am working on a logo, the font standard is 26 pt with 420 kerning.  I enter in 420 on the kerning and it gives me a random value. 

• 6. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                    Brett N Adobe Employee

Charles, do you have a link to the feedback.photoshop.com post? I can get the bug number and check in with the engineers.

But I'm still not able to reproduce the behavior. Are there any extra steps I need to complete? Do I have to work with a file that was created in a previous version of Photoshop? I'm just opening a new blank document, laying down some random text, and then scubbing the size of the text. Everything is working just fine.

• 7. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                      charles badland Level 4

Hi Brett,

There are about a half dozen posts over at PS.com. Here is one: Scrub text leading jumps to high value.

In CC and last update of CS6, if you scale text via Transform, all scrubby Character Panel input gets broken and all input for Tracking (not just scrubby) is wonky.

Chris Cox chimed in over there that is is acknowledged and they are "working on a solution"

(on think in the OP in his "PPS" he says text was scaled. That is what parcipitates this problem.)

• 8. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                        Brett N Adobe Employee

If we have mulitple posts, we'll want to consolidate those.

No body has mentioned transform yet. So you have some text and do a Free Transform and scaling doesn't result in a correct mathematical change in the point size (e.g. 24pt scaled by 200% doesn't result in 48pt text)?

• 9. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                          charles badland Level 4

(e.g. 24pt scaled by 200% doesn't result in 48pt text)?

When you first scale the text, it shows correctly, but after it has been scaled all heck breaks loose in the Character Panel. It breaks scrubby input in Character Panel. And all Tracking input.

And it is not just scaling that breaks it. Looks like any Edit > Transform of text precipitates this problem.

• 10. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                            Brett N Adobe Employee

OK, well now I see the problem. Nobody mentioned anything about the root of this issue: Free Transform. But it's not wild and unpredictable, just simple math. It shouldn't happen, but it's predictable. If I scale up the text with a Free Transform by 200%, everytime I try to scrub the text size it doubles the value I stop at (applying the 200% transform again), regardless of moving the slider left or right. Exact same thing happens with 300% (triples in size). If you've applied mulitple transforms, then all that math gets applied (e.g. apply a 200% increase of scale and then apply a second increase of 200% and your scrubbed valued will be multiplied by 4). So if you use Free Transform multiple times, going to random percentages, you will get some pretty wonky seeming end values.

Work around? Stick to one form of changing the test size until we get this fixed.

• 11. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                              charles badland Level 4

Nobody mentioned anything about the root of this issue: Free Transform.

post 1

its true that when you transform the text, the character scaling goes wonky

post 2

Again, it seems this only happens when you transform a text object

post 3

All Character input with scrubby gets broken and all Tracking input (not just scrubby) is whacked after scaling text.

• 12. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                Brett N Adobe Employee

The funny thing about words is that means are up for interpretation. Without mentioning Free Transform, all uses of the word "transform" (lower case) would be appropriate language for simply changing a value in the Character panel (and on re-reading these posts in full, it still sounds that way). It may have been implied but it wasn't inferred. Sorry, I have to be very technical with the language, a lot of folks on the forums interchange words (my "favorite" is the use of the word "download" to mean "install").

• 13. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                  charles badland Level 4

It may have been implied but it wasn't inferred. Sorry, I have to be very technical with the language, a lot of folks on the forums interchange words (my "favorite" is the use of the word "download" to mean "install").

I bet. Sorry for the language tangent, but do you know the official Adobe term for the (sometimes) gray area around the Canvas in Photoshop. I never know what to call it. Apron?

• 14. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                    Brett N Adobe Employee

I kinda like "Apron", but I don't think there is an "official" name. In the past, I generally just called this the "Work Area". However, if you right-click in that area, you get options for changing it's color. If you go to Select Custom Color, the Color Picker will appear. The title bar of the Color Picker will say (in Photoshop CC) "Color Picker (Custom Canvas Color)", suggesting that this area is also called the Canvas (just as it is within the document boundaries). If you follow these same steps in CS3, the apparent name of this area is the "Background".

• 15. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                      BJN3 Level 1

I just installed Photoshop CC and the update that showed up at installation. The wonky character attributes showed up in my first job creating a set of banner ads. Scaling is essential for production of the same ad adapted to many sizes. What scares me is that this will corrupt the file for use in other Photoshop versions. I guess I'd better test that. The last big text bug in PS CS6 corrupted text layers and there was no recovery for the corruption even after the bug was fixed.

I hate being CC "live beta".

• 16. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                        BJN3 Level 1

A quick test shows the files open in PS CS6 but with a message that unknown data will be discarded if the layers are preserved. The tracking values still show up wonky in CS6 would allow editing of the text with no immediate disatrous results.

Furthur testing shows that the affected text layers are screwed up when opened and edited in PS CS6. When I open the files again in CC selecting a text layer shows not the text selected, but the entire image area. If I click on the layer with the text tool, the message "Could not use the type tool because the target channel is hidden" pops up. Fortunately, I can restore the text layer's editability by moving the layer higher or lower in order.

Dammit. In order to edit the corrupted text layers, I have to move the layer order each time I go back to edit it after working on another layer. This ends my current foray into Photoshop CC. I'll try it when/if it's ready for the real working world.

• 17. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                          jedi_twitch Level 1

Is there still no fix for this? Come on Adobe, this is a major flaw!

This is what's happening to me:

1) I create a new doc and type in a word

2) I adjust the type in the Character Panel; font, color

3) I use the Transform tool to resize the type; it will end up with a point size of somehting like "213.84"

4) I'll go into the size field of the Character Panel and try to round off the point size to "214" by highlighting the field and typing in "214" and hitting the Enter key

5) The result will show the text at something like "6206.45 pt" with an alert box that says "A value between 0.01 point and 1296.00 Points is required.  Closest value inserted."

6) I'll click the "OK" button, and then the alert box will pop up again ad infinitum, until I force quit and lose all changes

There are a lot of other buggy things with Photoshop CC, but this bug is not just a nuisance or inconvienence. When this happens in the middle of an evolved document it becomes detrimental to the entire job.

• 18. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                            Brett N Adobe Employee

This is being worked on and we'll have an update soon. Please describe other bugs in new posts.

• 19. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                              Clint Porter Level 1

Hi Brett, I appreciate your need to be technical with language. Along those lines, could you clarify your definition of "soon"? Thanks!

• 20. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                                David Mohr Adobe Employee

Hi Clint,

If you're referring to the bug with transformed text in CC, that is fixed in the latest release of Photoshop.

If you're referring to the same bug in CS6, a fix is currently under development. 

If this is another bug, please share the details and I'll look into it.

Thanks,

David

• 21. Re: Changing Character Settings Results in Random Value
                                                  Clint Porter Level 1

I just got the update today, and it fixes the issue (I'm on CS6). Thanks for getting this done. It's really helpful to be able to scale text lockups again without repercussions.