10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2013 4:57 AM by mrdigitalboy

Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?

mrdigitalboy Level 1

Just revamped one of my stations with a new GPU and SSD.  I also purchased an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.  Loggin in to my usual subscription I realized that Premiere Pro CS6 is no longer available and ver.7 is now ''CC.''  This is great and the revamped machine is working wonderfully.  I couldn't be happier.  My wife will mainly use this machine to edit some hobby stuff.

However, the point for this thread is that my main workstation in the den still has CS6 and I did not receive an e-mail to update it or ''upgrade'' (however it's to be called) to the new CC.  So am I to log in to the new CC interface login and download everything again on my main system and delete the old CS6 install?

Thanks a bunch!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
          cvid01 Level 4

CC is not an upgrade. It's a new "internet" method of using PrPro. You are basically renting the software. Read the various forums that discuss the "Creative Cloud". You may or may not want to get it.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
            [r]Evolution Level 1

I would say DO NOT UNINSTALL CS6!!! At least, not yet. Wait till you determine whether or not CC meets all your needs (ex: Disc Burning)

Also, you need to know that if you go to CC, there's no turning back.

If/when you decide to stop renting CC... your projects will be no longer accessible.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
              cscooper2013 Level 2

CVid, you are both right and wrong.

CC actually is a very worthwhile upgrade from CS6 (or it will be when it's finished).  Here is my top list of time-saving new features (and there are many more):

- NEW:  Automatically Sync separate audio and video clips based on their audio waveforms.  AWESOME! (but doesn't work, yet).

- NEW:  Merge Clips right from the project panel, including auto sync on audio.  WAY COOL!  (audio sync doesn't work, yet).

- NEW:  Subclips can be created with "soft" handles you can adjust later (works great!  Except Subclips cannot be created from a Merged Clip)

- NEW:  Use the scroll wheel—or better, yet, the keyboard—to quickly resize all video (CTRL+/-) and Audio (ALT+/-) tracks on the timeline. (LOVE IT!)

- NEW:  Both "Clip Gain" and "Clip Volume" now have keyboard shortcuts (not sure why they didn't before.  Small, but important time saver for me!)

- CHANGED:  "Solo" button replaces "Toggle Track Output" on the timeline.  (but to truly isolate a clip takes 2 ALT CLICKS and 1 MORE CLICK!)

- IMPROVED:  Link Media dialogs.  Very cool!  (haven't tried it, yet.  Wouldn't surprise me if it crashed Premiere)

- BUG:  One-take Multi-Cam Editing.  Make your first pass count, cause there's no second chances in the Multi-Cam editor.

- BUG:  Selecting more than 3 clips on the timeline will crash Priemiere.  See video:  http://youtu.be/DPOUinOSzDE

And these are just the few features / bugs that I've encountered in the first week!

You are correct, though.  You now RENT the software from Adobe.  No purchases.  But, this doesn't bother me, much.  I've been renting CS6 for over a year, now.  MrDigitalBoy, since you have a subscription, you should see BOTH CS6 and CC products in your Creative Cloud updater.

And, I would definitely agree with [r]Evolution, DO NOT INSTALL CC, yet.  It is not even CLOSE to being ready for prime time.  It has cost several editors on these forums, myself included, days of wasted time and lost income grappling with this broken software.  I believe it will be great!  I'm looking forward to it.  But wait 'til the first product updates, at least.  And then procede with caution.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
                mrdigitalboy Level 1

Thank you guys so much for the feedback.  I'll stick with the CS6 on my main workstation and wait till you guys approve the latest improvements and stability for CC.

However, I'm confused!  Since I already subscribe for Premiere Pro, I had installed CC on my alternate workstation in a different room and it runs fine.  Am I being charged for both CS6 and CC or is it a consolidated fee in one? 

By the way if you guys are interested to know OpenCL works great with CC as I tried different rendering benchmarks of FullHD H.264.  It's fast.  This particular machine is using a Radeon 6790.  The stream processors seem to be hitting the nail hard.  My main workstation CS6 will stay Quadro.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

CC is not an upgrade. It's a new "internet" method of using PrPro.

That is not entirely correct.  While it's true that Creative Cloud apps can only be downloaded over the Internet (there is no CD or DVD you can purchase to install from), the programs themselves are actually installed to the local hard drive and do not require the Internet for day to day operation.

So a more accurate statement would be CC is an Internet method of distributing the software, not of using it.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Selecting more than 3 clips on the timeline will crash Priemiere.

I cannot reproduce this on either my Win 7 edit rig or my Win 8 personal computer.  I can select as many clips as I want by whatever method and it all works fine.

The specific error you're getting (c000005) seems to be memory related, and can be caused by many things.

DO NOT INSTALL CC, yet.  It is not even CLOSE to being ready for prime time.

I've already finished up two projects with CC7, and got them done faster thanks to some of the new features.  Aside from the known multicam issue, if things aren't rolling smoothly for you (and judging from above crash they seem not to be), you may want to think about a system wipe and fresh start.  A new version of the Adobe suite is always a good time to clean house.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
                      cscooper2013 Level 2

In order to keep this thread on topic, I'll refer you to my original thread to continue the discussion on the crash that occurs when Selecting Multiple Clips:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5454210

But to answer your question breifly, the issue is not tied to this specific system.  The computer is a 3 month old laptop with very little else installed; editing being the express purpose of this machine.  I have tried this on my other system 2 years old: 

i7-2600K (not overclocked)

Win 7 Pro, 64-bit

GTX460 1GB GDDR5

16GB RAM

The same crash happens there.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
                        Greg Baber Adobe Employee

Having the Cloud subscription means you can upgrade at any time for free.   You can install CC and leave CS6 on the computer, and the two programs do not interact.  So, if you have the Cloud subscription, install the new one and try it - leave CS6 installed so you can work there if needed.  That way you get the best of both worlds.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 - (ver.7) CC upgrade protocol auto update?
                          mrdigitalboy Level 1

thanks Greg!  That's what I needed to know.