7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2013 8:12 AM by wannabemekon RSS

Odd ProRes sequence set-up behavior in Premiere Pro CC

Kuhnen Brown Community Member

When I create a new sequence by dragging a ProRes HQ file onto New Item icon, it creates a DNxHD sequence.  My ProRes HQ footage is captured by the Blackmagic Shuttle2 recorder, and MediaInfo verifies it is ProRes.  Yet the sequence settings in Premiere Pro CC show:

Editing Mode:  DNX 145 1080i

Video Previews box:

Preview File Format: DNX 145 1080i 59.94

Codec:  DNxHD

I am on a Mac with Quicktime 7 installed.  There is no problem ingesting and importing the ProRes HQ camera video files into Premiere Pro.  I am just not seeing a ProRes sequence being created.  Is there something else I should test for?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Odd ProRes sequence set-up behavior in Premiere Pro CC

Answered.  By creating a Custom sequence in the New Sequence dialog to match the ProRes HQ clips, the sequence now agrees with the codec of the captured original video.  Maybe I was expecting to see "ProRes" listed as a codec setting in the New Sequence dialog.  In this iteration of CC, ProRes is NOT listed.

• 3. Re: Odd ProRes sequence set-up behavior in Premiere Pro CC
            mkammes Community Member

While creating a preset allows you to create a new sequence that is ProRes, when you try and conform a sequence to a codec (or drag a media file on the NEW ITEM icon to auto create an appropriate sequence), the sequence does not become ProRes.

I'm on a 10.8.3 Mac, with FCP 7 & FCP X instaleld, so I ahve the ProRes QT Component.  Maybe a limitation of the Trial version or am I missing something?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Odd ProRes sequence set-up behavior in Premiere Pro CC

Here is what I am getting after creating a ProRes HQ 1080i sequence preset in PPCC:  From the camera card I import ProRes HQ 1080i clips (recorded on Blackmagic's Shuttle2).  I drop a clip onto the New Item icon, and it creates a ProRes sequence from the ProRes preset I created.  To check this, I open the Sequence properties and under Video Previews it shows ProRes 422 (HQ), and the Preview File Format is Quicktime.   The clips in the sequence do conform to the ProRes codec because when I check-off Match Sequence Settings in the Export Settings dialog, it renders out a full blown Quicktime ProRes 422 HQ movie, which is verified MediaInfo.  Since I am able to ingest and export Quicktime ProRes 422 (HQ), it appears in this iteration of CC, Quicktime clips do conform to the Quicktime ProRes codec.  I am also on a 10.8.3 Mac with FCP 7 installed with the QT ProRes component.  Is this not working for you?

• 5. Re: Odd ProRes sequence set-up behavior in Premiere Pro CC
                mkammes Community Member

No, sadly.

I went into great deal about it here:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5457995#5457995 , and here :http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/942978 ; it seems to be a 'well known' bug?

I can work around the sequence not matching the clip properties, but I want the export settings to match the clip properties (which is why I wanted the sequence settings to match the clip properties; because then I can do an export using sequence settings).  I can't do that now unless I do it manually....anyway, see my first link above for the details.

Thanks!

~Michael

• 6. Re: Odd ProRes sequence set-up behavior in Premiere Pro CC

Thanks for the links Michael.  On CS6 I too would get the ARRI codec showing in Sequence Settings.  In the current CC I was getting the DNxHD codec.  I used the Karl Soulé recipe mentioned by Alan Craven earlier in this thread to create a custom ProRes 422 HQ sequence setting.  Apparantly the glue stuck, and its delivering a properly conformed ProRes export, using Match Sequence Settings.  One thing different on my system is I took PP CS6 off this machine after installing CC.  No CS6 DNA lurking in the background.  But that's just me.

Kuhnen

• 7. Re: Odd ProRes sequence set-up behavior in Premiere Pro CC
                    wannabemekon

Quite glad to have found this discussion and this solution. On my machine running PP 7.1, OSX 10.8.5, I get this result if I conform a sequence to a ProresLT 720p24 source clip (I'm editing with proxy files because my iMac is ancient):

Sequence settings: Editing Mode AVC-Intra 100 720p 60hz.

I was assuming that PPro couldn't edit this 'natively" until I got frustrated with it and tried to change it.

Making a new preset and simply creating a new sequence from the preset works fine. But it's impossible to create a sequence based on a Prores clip's settings that actually matches those settings.

So is this a known bug to Adobe? Happy to submit a bug report. It seems odd, though, that this persists.