Can't seem to get "Layer > Rename layer ..." to activate with Actions, whether I try "Insert Menu Item" or "Record Action".
I have created and used many actions over the years in Photoshop, and almost all of them seem to work fine in Phothsop CS6, except this one.
In CS 6.x that command has been removed from the LAYER PALETTE MENU. Instead, the COMMAND has been renamed "Rename Layer..." in the MAIN MENU, and it no longer brings up a DIALOG. Editing is now done directly in the LAYER NAME TEXT FIELD and it was clear that the old ACTION can't work as-is.
SO, I deleted it and rebuilt it as folllows:
- I created a NEW ACTION
- From the ACTION PALETTE's MENU I selected
- The ALERT POPUP came up
- From the MAIN MENU I selected
- The ALERT POPUP updated to show "Layer:Rename Layer".
- I clicked OK, but nothing showed up under the new ACTION in the ACTIONS PALETTE
- with the ART LAYER visible and selected I clicked RECORD
- I selected and again.
- This time the ART LAYER activated properly .
- I changed the LAYER NAME and hit RETURN.
- In the ACTIONS PALETTE, the SET CURRENT LAYER ACTION was automatically added.
- I know I don't want "123" to be the LAYER NAME, but I thought I could manually edit the ACTION by adding a DIALOG BOX control.
- I clicked STOP to try out the KEY COMMAND
- I manually changed the LAYER NAME back to and hit RETURN to set it.
- I ran the ACTION by typing CMD-SHFT-F9
- As expected it dutifully edited the LAYER NAME
- Now I wanted to intercept the renaming step, so I ticked the DIALOG BOX option in the ACTION thinking it would give me some method of keying in a name during PLAYBACK.
- The first few times I ran the ACTION SCRIPT, it brought up the LAYER STYLE dialog. What?
- I thought something might be amiss with my FUNCTION KEYS, so I checked my KEYBOARD settings in SYSTEM PREFERENCES.
- This option was originally ONso I UNCHECKED it OFF and closed SYSTEM PREFS.
- Back in PS it didn't seem to make a difference, so I thought maybe I needed to RESTART to activate this level of SYSTEM PREFERENCE.
- I RESTARTED, double-checked that the FUNCTION KEY OPTION was UNCHECKED, and tried the ACTION again.
- Now the ACTION didn't run at all, so I knew the FUNCTION KEY OPTION was supposed to remain CHECKED.
- I RECHECKED it, RESTARTED, and returned to PHOTOSHOP.
- When I ran the ACTION this time, the LAYER STYLE dialog DID NOT come up. The LAYER was simply renamed "123" with no way to edit it during PLAYBACK. What?
In the end, I played with inserting a STOP or CONDITIONAL, I tried PLAYBACK OPTIONS, I inserted other random COMMANDS and played with reordering them. Everything works perfectly, but I simply can't seem to gain control over editing the LAYER NAME itself with an ACTION.
I assume the root of the problem is that there is no longer a DIALOG BOX that controls the LAYER NAME, and therefore there's no moment in PLAYBACK that can give me DIALOG BOX control over the name.
But I refuse to believe that this very simple, very useful ACTION can't be done. I used this feature hundreds of times a day in earlier versions of Photoshop, and now I'm relegated to tediously double-clicking the LAYER NAME every time I need to edit.