4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 10:50 AM by tgrider

What 5.1 format will Premiere Pro CC import?

tgrider Level 1

I have selected several of the available export formats in Audition CC and PPro can't import any of them.  Has anyone had success with this and if so what choices did you make?

• 1. Re: What 5.1 format will Premiere Pro CC import?
          Charles VW Adobe Employee

When in doubt, go with WAV.  Which formats were you using?

• 2. Re: What 5.1 format will Premiere Pro CC import?
            tgrider Level 1

Yeah, thought of that one already.  It appears Auditon is creating the file in RF64 format and Premiere can't handle that and gives the Header Error message on the import.  In CS6 Audition, I found that .mov audio seemed to handle 5.1 files better, but it looks like that export option has been removed.

• 3. Re: What 5.1 format will Premiere Pro CC import?
              Charles VW Adobe Employee

How big is your file? The RF64 thing shouldn't matter unless your file is at or above 4 GB.

MOV file export is no longer supported because previously it was written by the actual QuickTime libraries which are 32-bit only.  With Audition being a 64-bit application now, we can't work directly with QuickTime, and we didn't have time to do it out of process like AME does.

My next suggestion would've been to save it as a 5.1 CAF file from Audition, but I haven't found a way to trick PPro to import it yet.

• 4. Re: What 5.1 format will Premiere Pro CC import?
                tgrider Level 1

The exported 5.1 file in WAV format is over 12gb, so that is why it is probably using RF64.  I kept experimenting and got a usable file in .wma format although it will only support 44.1k sample rate so I had to downconvert my 48k source files and when Premiere renders out the audio for Blu-Ray and DVD, it will upsample back to 48k.  I think this area needs some attention because it has gotten more difficult since the last release and as you can see, forces unnecessary format conversions.