1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2007 4:43 PM by Peter deHaan

Loading XML security error

pgbaldwin Level 1
      I'm trying to load an RSS feed into Flex but keep getting the error:

"Security error accessing url"

I've searched the web to find a solution, which all seem to point to the crossdomain.xml file. However, there is no file present, and I don't believe this is the issue. Trying to load the feed from a regular Flash file works no problem, but in Flex I'm having issues. I read about a fix that involved adding code to the flex-config.xml file, but this doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm using Flex Builder 3 Beta 2. Any solutions?
        • 1. Re: Loading XML security error
          Peter deHaan Level 4
          pgbaldwin,

For more information on cross domain loading and security, check out the security chapter in the Programming ActionScript 3.0 book: http://livedocs.adobe.com/labs/flex3/html/help.html?content=05B_Security_03.html

[quote]
          Website controls (cross-domain policy files)
          To make data from a web server available to SWF files from other domains, you can create a cross-domain policy file on your server. A cross-domain policy file is an XML file that provides a way for the server to indicate that its data and documents are available to SWF files served from certain domains or from all domains. Any SWF file that is served from a domain specified by the server's policy file is permitted to access data or assets from that server.

Cross-domain policy files affect access to a number of assets, including the following:
          * Data in bitmaps, sounds, and videos
          * Loading XML and text files
          * Access to socket and XML socket connections
          * Importing SWF files from other security domains into the security domain of the *loading SWF file
          [/quote]

Note that even though the remote files may load successfully when testing locally from Flex Builder or Flash authoring, it may not always work once the SWF files are uploaded to the internet due to various security reasons.

Hope that helps,
          Peter