7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2013 3:12 AM by Departure

Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish

aa_lique Level 1

Hi

I realize the forum is good sourc for javascript tips. But for us un-whiz kids that take advantage of all the gifts you geniuses at Adobe create, could there be a javascripting for Edge workshop? Coding from start to finish. If one does not know how to implement the code, that ONE is at a loss. I know that I could take EDge and fly with it visually but when it comes to the level of interactivity and animation, Istumble and come to an abrupt stop.

Is the javascript workshop/tutorials a posibilty?

Thanks so much,

Angelique

• 1. Re: Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish
          Edward Cotty

I would also like to see something like this.

• 2. Re: Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish
            jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

Have you checked out the Lessons within Edge Animate? The "Extend" lesson which covers the basics of adding Javascript to your composition comes with step-by-step instructions and a sample file.

Here's another lesson (with video) that may also be of help: http://helpx.adobe.com/edge-animate/using/add-interactivity-javascript.html

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish
              elainecc Adobe Employee

What type of things are you trying to acomplish?  Just basic "how do I play," or something more complex?

-Elaine

• 4. Re: Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish
                aa_lique Level 1

Thanks so much for replying.

I have been struggling with re-interpreting a puzzle that I created in Flash years ago. I want to recreate it in Edge.

I would like each pc to SNAP into place, a conditional counter that recognizes when all pcs are in proper place a "resulting reward is triggered". As I go thru the process of learning, I would be happy to create a tutorial  if you can help me with this, so that others can share.  The tutorial about "Drag and Drop" helped me a little, but that was only one aspect of my game.

Not being a javascript whiz, I don't ajways know how to decipher or how to implement what I am looking at when I see a pg of code in front of me. So a "step by step" tutorial does really help to understand exactly what each part of the code actually does as well as how we can implement and create variations.

Thank you for listening. You all at Adobe are so AWESOME!

Angelique

• 5. Re: Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish
                  Ethelwild Level 1

Hi Angelique!

I am in something of the same boat as You. I have found this forum to be very informative & the knowledgeable folks here are very generous with their time... but the information is all over the place and lacks the collimated immediacy of a thorough (indexed!) manual. Ditto the very helpful Animate videos & tutorials on the Internet which, while valuable, are often time consumming to track down specific information.

When learning a new discipline I do best with cogent printed manuals featuring a methodical presentation - which are also a snap to reference. Along these lines two books have caught my eye and I will be ordering... they might be of interest to You:

Adobe Edge Animate: The Missing Manual by Chris Grover (O'Reilly Media) - Pages: 306

Print: $24.99; e-Book: $19.99 (both for $27.49)

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920027553.do

The Missing Manual series has always proved a provident guide for what ever program I was seeking to learn. This book looks like it follows suit. In the example on-line files I perused Chris struck me as an elegant scripter.

Learning Adobe Edge Animate by Joseph Labrecque (Packt) - Pages: 368

Print (eBook included in price) $44.99; eBook only $22.94

http://www.packtpub.com/learning-to-create-engaging-motion-rich-interactivity-with-adobe-e dge/book

Joseph pulls a few shifts on Adobe TV's Animate tutorials & is excerpted in the edge_animate_reference.pdf. I like how he writes (and~or has a great editor)... concise explanations.

-------------------------------------

These books appear to offer info on a plethora of topics with valuable Javascript examples. Though no doubt there will be considerable overlap of subject matter I think these two books feature enough different material to make both worth purchasing.

• 6. Re: Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish
                    aa_lique Level 1

Yes I have seen those books and I have been combing the net to piece together what I need. It's still new so we are pioneering this process. The big problem and drawback is not knowing javascript enough to know what I need to create the interactivty I need.

If anyone out there knows a programmer for hire out there pls get in touch with me. Everyone i know is super super busy these days.

Elaine, (frm Jun 27th)

Did I answer your question?

• 7. Re: Coding with javascript in EDGE tutorials/samples from start to finish
                      Departure Level 1

Interaction Designers often do not execute their visions, and hire/collaborate with skilled talents for the specific type of production they have in mind. However, if you are young and enjoy Coding/Logic then I encourage you to learn JavaScript/Jquery to become a stronger Front-End and interaction designer. The problem is not that your creativity is not sufficient, the problem is that if you do not know the execution part (at least the main structures), then you fail to oversee opportunities and possible problems, when you actually concept for an idea. The best example is to compare Architects with Structure Engineers, An architect who has enough knowledge of Structure is far more wanted/capable of creating stronger designs. I always start learning in Lynda.com, and keep challenging myself with designing small applications. Games are amazing challenges to build INTERACTIVE muscles, you need to solve so many more interactivity puzzles compared to a website or a mobile app. The other problem is that even if you hire or ask another developer to teach you, each developer has his own way of doing things, specially when it comes to creative projects. So you wanna make sure you develop your own style of coding/thinking. If you learn the basics of programming CONFIDENTLY, you ll pick up any new language in few months...Learn the logics and core ideas in programming first, dont worry so much about the syntax when you start.