17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2013 3:46 AM by HappyRobotGraphics

Extension Manager CC freezes on launch

StephenLinhart Level 1

Extension Manager CC sits with a spinning clock indefinately.  If I try to quit it freezes with Apples spinning rainbow disk.

Any ideas what I should do?

• 1. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
          Carl Sun Level 4

Please give more details. Does it happen when you launch Extension Manager or when you install an extension or some other cases? Have you ever launched Extension Manager successfully before?...

• 2. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
            StephenLinhart Level 1

Hi Carl -

It has happened every time I launch Extension Manager CC.  I have launched Extension Manager CS5 before without a problem.

Before the first time I launche Adobe Extension Manager CC I opened Adobe Exchange in Photoshop CC which works fine unless I try to install an Add On.  Trying to Install Dr. Brown's Services hangs at the spinner.  I mention this because I figure I could be related.

I tried Verifying my Drive, Repairing Preferences, and Restarting.

• 3. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
              artmartin

Same problem here. Extension Manager CC launches and all I get is the spinning clock and nothing happens. If I try to quit, the app freezes and I have to force quit.

The first time I opened it I installed two extensions without problems, but when I tried to install DevRocket 2.0 the problem started. I've tried a lot of things, even unistalling and reinstalling again, but nothing has solved the problem.

• 4. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                Carl Sun Level 4

DevRocket 2.0 is not free extension so I can't get it to investigate this problem. It will be highly appreciated if you could unzip this extension and paste the content of its mxi file here or send it to exman.beijing@gmail.com

• 5. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                  Carl Sun Level 4

Could you provide the download link of this extension? I found several download links in Russell Brown's website. I don't know which link is what you used.

• 6. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                    StephenLinhart Level 1

The way I tried to install "Dr. Brown's Services" was in Photoshop: Window>Extensions>Adobe Exchange.  From there I browsed the Free area, but you can get it by searching for the phrase "Dr. Brown's" (without the quote marks).

• 7. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                      artmartin Level 1

Just sent the mxi file.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                        Carl Sun Level 4

I downloaded the extension from the update link in the mxi file and installed it successfully on both Windows and Mac. This is a hybrid extension and requires admin privilege to install. Are you using Windows or Mac? Did dialog pop up to ask you input admin user name and password when you installed this extension? If not, please run Extension Manager CC as administrator to install it. on Windows, right click Extension Manager CC in start menu and select "Run as administrator"; on Mac, use sudo command.

• 9. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                          StephenLinhart Level 1

I'm running as admin already, but I tried launching Extension Manager CC using sudo in case it helped.  I got:

Extension Manager is starting up...

Extension Manager window becomes visible.

in the terminal window.

Extension manager lainches and hangs.  The log of the hang ends with quite a few instances of the following with different thread numbers:

Thread 0xb43830   priority 47       

9 thread_start + 13 (libsystem_c.dylib) [0x7fff96ec71e1]

9 _pthread_start + 327 (libsystem_c.dylib) [0x7fff96eda7a2]

9 unregister_ShockwaveFlash + 59410 (FlashPlayer-10.6) [0x1081716b2]

9 unregister_ShockwaveFlash + 59281 (FlashPlayer-10.6) [0x108171631]

9 ??? (FlashPlayer-10.6 + 185502) [0x107c8d49e]

9 unregister_ShockwaveFlash + 58859 (FlashPlayer-10.6) [0x10817148b]

9 __psynch_cvwait + 10 (libsystem_kernel.dylib) [0x7fff922800fa]

*9 psynch_cvcontinue + 0 (mach_kernel) [0xffffff80005b5bb0]

• 10. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                            Starunderscorestar_

This seems to have solved the problem, thank you.

I ran Extension Manager as administrator and it started up fine. I installed DevRocket, which took quite a long time (about 10 minutes) and now I can open Extension Manager again without running it as administrator.

Again, thank you.

BTW, I'm on a Mac.

• 11. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                              StephenLinhart Level 1

Sadly didn't solve the problem on my Mac.

• 12. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                                StephenLinhart Level 1

I noticed that the Version number of my Adobe Extension Manager CC is "null".

• 13. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                                  Carl Sun Level 4

It's possible if error occurrs before the initialization finishes or you click the Mac top menu before the startup finishes.

• 14. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                                    StephenLinhart Level 1

1) So, given that Adobe Extension Manager CC version number in the "About box" is "null" even after uninstall and re-install and is alwasy "null", is there anything I should do about it?

2) My Adobe Exchange -> My Stuff now contains ""Dr. Brown Services".  It is not compatible with Photoshop CC, but I can't find any way to remove it from My Stuff.  So it is suspect as a cause of my other problems.

3) My Adobe Exchange CC always hangs when installing anything.  My Adobe Exchange CS6 does not hang.  My Adobe Extension Manager CC always crashes on exit.  My Adobe Extension Manager CS6 does not.

4) My Adobe Extension Manager CC has a tab for "Exchange" which leads to a download link which is CS6 only (not compatible with CC).  So I'm taking it that Adobe Extension Manager CC is actually a Beta at this point.

• 15. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                                      HappyRobotGraphics Level 1

Hi,

Got the same problem. Running ExtMgr by sudo doesn't solve the problem in my case either. Please fix this ASAP.

• 16. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                                        StephenLinhart Level 1

After rebooting with the latest OS X system updates, Extension Manager is now working for me.

It does still give me unclear pasword requests from ExManCmd instead of clear full sentences in the password request from Adobe Extension Manager.

• 17. Re: Extension Manager CC Freezes
                                          HappyRobotGraphics Level 1

Yes, a reboot indeed made it possible for me to install an extension for Photoshop CC. Extension Manager CC was able to launch and it took quite a long time for the extension to be installed, but now it works.