8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 5:30 AM by Peter Spier

ID picks CMYK colors as RGB

mysiak_667

Hello

The problem is: when I try to pick a CMYK color in InDesign, it immediately switches it to RGB. The method I pick the color doesn't matter, even if I pick my color from the swatches (C0, M0, Y0, K100), the object is colored with something like C79 M81 Y80 K100.

For you to realise how much "fun" I am having, I add some pictures

type in: C50, M50, Y0, K50

http://gyazo.com/02c492161a03113b1445f9e75d927d89.png

click OK, then immediately double click the color to enter the picker again, and there it is! ...or is it?

http://gyazo.com/961896f820f391add37b8bb2f0d36be4.png

select the swatch C0 M0 Y0 K100

http://gyazo.com/9510d62fcac06cf4e8a3c08637545dcb.png

double click the color to enter the picker, and there it is! ...or is it?

http://gyazo.com/be421bd2a34d7f7d0fd503aa3097113b.png

I use ID CS2 (running on Windows 8), recently I changed my computer, so, since the CS2 activation server is offline, I was forced to use the installer downloaded from Adobe's website. That's when it started, so either it's a problem with this particular distribution, or I had a setting on my old ID installation I'm not aware of. Either way, the usual "if ID acts strange, trash the preferences" method doesn't apply here.

This is wrong on so many levels I guess I'm missing something obvious. Help!

• 1. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To get CMYK out of the Color Picker you need to make one of the CMYK fields active. In all of your screen shots the R field is the active field.

• 2. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB
            mysiak_667 Level 1

The CMYK fields don't have the radio button, so it stays active in R, the indicator that I do have the CMYK fields on is the button 'Add CMYK preset' instead of 'Add RGB preset' (screenshot 1).
            In other screenshots I didn't even touch the color components, I just double-clicked the active color to enter the color picker and see what color I actually have picked.

I enter the CMYK components manually, then I enter the color picker again and I have a different CMYK color picked (I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's RGB, because Photoshop acts the same when I enter CMYK components in RGB workspace).

• 3. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB

This is why the color picker is a really bad place to work except for RGB. When you open it, it automatically converts the current color to RGB, regardless of waht space it really is. If you highlight one of the CMYK fields, the color picker will switch to save your color as CMYK in the swatches, but it won't fix the conversion that happened when you opened the picker.

Have you tried using the sliders in either the Color panel or Swatch definition dialog instead?

• 4. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB
                mysiak_667 Level 1

It's even more fun - when I open the picker and type in C0 M0 Y0 K100 and click 'add CMYK swatch' it adds... C77 M75 Y62 K81. What is the point of having a color picker that only works in RGB - beats me

Well, I guess I could use the swatch dialog, but this still leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling - to be sure I use CMYK black instead of RGB black I'd have to have swatches always open to see which one is highlighted (I can see the difference between them, the danger is using not real rich black, but the RGB counterfeit of K100 I mentioned earlier). I'm surprised I didn't have the problem before downloading the "activationless" installer, so now it's a matter of beating the habits.

• 5. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB

Are you really running CS2 in Windows 8? That could easily be the source of the problem (on rare occasions I run CS2 in the Windows Virtual Machine in Win7 and it seems to work correctly, but it will not run at all in Win7 directly). You can try trashing the prefs (see Replace Your Preferences) but if that doesn't do it you really are going to have to chalk this up to one of those things that just won't work with running an application released years before your OS and never tested in your environment.

• 6. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB
                    mysiak_667 Level 1

> Are you really running CS2 in Windows 8?

Haha, as long as it does it's job, why not? It costs more than I make in a month, so sorry, no yearly updates

>on rare occasions I run CS2 in the Windows Virtual Machine in Win7 and it seems to work correctly, but it will not run at all in Win7 directly

We've got two CS2 running on Win7 without a problem.

But yeah, I'm ordering CS6 right now

• 7. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB
                      mysiak_667 Level 1

But thanks, your tips will get me through the delivery period

• 8. Re: ID picks CMYK colors as RGB

mysiak_667 wrote:

We've got two CS2 running on Win7 without a problem.

There seems to be a wide success<->failure spectrum out there with running "really old" versions on new OS's. For some it works fine, for others not at all, and lots of experiences in between. I don't think I was able to get CS to install even in the virtual machine, but it ran fine in 2000 and XP.