4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 10:31 AM by jubrent

Does this program have the ability to update/refresh to a new page based on how a question is answer

jubrent

Does this program have the ability to update/refresh to a new page based on how a question is answered? For example, I created a list of foods and based on what the person answering the question picked the pdf can update or skip to a specific page for that specific food.

• 1. Re: Does this program have the ability to update/refresh to a new page based on how a question is answer
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

FormsCentral allows you to create a form that can be distributed using a URL to a web form and/or using a PDF you could email or post for download from a website for users to fill out in Acrobat or Reader.

One feature of a paid account is Page and Skip Logic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5jPh9Ul1U

You did say PDF however and skip logic does not work in the PDF. 

You could however edit a FormsCentral PDF form in Acrobat as long as you are careful what you do/change, you would not want to modify the fields names/values etc but just add "Actions" to the fields to go to the desired page.  If you are interested you could get some help on adding those action to the PDF on the Acrobat forums http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat

If you do go this route you would need to remove the Reader enabled rights of the PDF before editing, edit the PDF, test submission and then re-enable Reader rights:

Open PDF in Acrobat

File > Save a Copy...

Open the copy

Tools > Forms > Edit

Do your modifications. Be careful as some changes could break the submission.

Close Form Edit Mode

Tests your form submission

File > Save as Others... > Reader Extended PDF > Enable More Tools (include form fill-in & save)...

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Does this program have the ability to update/refresh to a new page based on how a question is answer
            jubrent Level 1

So if I have paid for the Adobe Acrobat Program XI, I would't have access to the skip logic function?

Also, when you described how to edit FormsCentral PDF, will this process give me the same effects as skip logic? When you mentioned that I would be able to skip to a desired page did you mean that once a specific answer is choosen this will redirect the page? I guess I'm just confused as to how adding actions will allow the PDF to skip to a new page.

Thanks for your help!!!

• 3. Re: Does this program have the ability to update/refresh to a new page based on how a question is answer
              Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Purchasing Acrobat XI and having a "paid" level FormsCentral subscription to have acess to the paid features are two different things (different products) so having Acrobat does not give you a paid level subscription in FormsCentral.  But Acrobat Professional XI comes with a FormsCentral desktop application, with that application and Acrobat get the "Save submission enabled PDF" feature is enabled and you can save and distribute PDF forms. 

If you want to use a web form as opposed to PDF you could have skip logic with a paid account, but with a Free level FormsCentral account you could not use the skip logic authoring your form.  If you want to use PDF, then your subscription level doesn't matter as much when you have Acrobat Pro XI, and per my previous response you could edit that PDF in Acrobat XI adding actions to the fields to create a similar functionality.  It will not be the same as the skip logic in a web form that can show/hide fields and jump to pages based on answers, but you can accomplish a lot using actions especially if you can write javascript for any fields that don't support a simple "Go to a Page View" action.  Here is a quick intro to Actions in Acrobat XI http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7c9e.w.html# WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7c9a.w

To answer your second question, yes choosing one specific answer would go to a specific page.  I tested it out with a single choice field in a 4 page FormsCentral PDF form and for one choice I had it go to page 2, the second choice went to page 3, and the 3rd choice went to page 4.  It all worked great and submitted fine.  I would be careful with adding required fields since they would still be required even if the user skipped over the page where the field was (as opposed to skip logic in web form that ignores any fields not exposed). 

After saving a copy of the PDF and opening that copy, I clicked the "Tools" button and clicked on "Forms" and selected "Edit":

Edit form.png

Once in Edit mode I double clicked on field/choice I wanted to trigger the page change when selected and in the Properties panel go to the Actions tab. 

Actions.png

I set that to "Mouse Up" - "Go to a Page View" and after clicking "Add" a dialog comes up telling you to scroll to where you want to link and click "Set Link", I scrolled to Page 2 and clicked "Set Link".

Repeat the process for any fields choices you want to do this with and be sure to test your form.  Some field types require adding javascript to do what you would want so you might choose field types that hae the "Go to a Page View" action available for the choice (for example this woudln't work with a drop down field, you would have to script a drop downs actions in javascript).

Thanks

Josh