8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2013 9:31 AM by joshweiland RSS

Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?

musicbydavidrosen

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to export a video that's basically 1 minute of high res images (taken on a Nikon D800 & D90) that fade from one to the next every 3 seconds, and a piece of music plays behind it.

I don't care what the final file size ends up being. I just need to export this video and have it look perfect. On my computer monitor however, so far in about a dozen combinations of file format / preset, they look completely pixelated and awful. The best I've gotten so far was an Mp4 (forget the exact preset I used, but I'm sure I could figure it out), but even that doesn't even look close to perfect on my computer monitor, and I'm sure once it's displayd big on a big widescreen TV it will look even worse. If I just display the images they look great (they're really high res after all), so it's obviously something with the various export settings...

Can anyone provide any help / insight into what good settings would be for a project like this? Again, file size doesn't matter at all. Not trying to save space. I just want this slideshow to look as good as if I was just flipping through a bunch of images on the computer in a image viewer...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?
          J. Simon Community Member

Start in Photoshop.  Set up a script to batch resize the images down to HD resolution (1920 x 1080), or near abouts.

In PP, create an AVC-Intra sequence using the AVC-I 100 1080p24 preset.  Add the images to that.  Add music and adjust as necessary.

Export using an H.264 HD 1080p 23.976 preset.

• 2. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?
            musicbydavidrosen Community Member

wow, you just may be my hero. :-) i've had so many people sending me ideas on facebook and none of it worked. one thing though, I actually didn't get to the resizing the images part, for some reason I was just curious about the AVC-Intra sequence, so I jumped straight to that step, and while I still need to export, it looks in the preview at least like it's gonna be perfect.

i'll post back once i test an export (it's exporting now)... if it doesn't work at first i'll go back and resize then do it agian...

• 3. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?

It'll probably be fine.  PP can resize the images.  It's just that PS does it a little better.

• 4. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?

it worked! awesome. thanks so much. that was driving me nuts. haha.

while i waited for the export to finish i googled what AVC-Intra is, and I kinda get it, but if you don't mind telling me, is this a like, REGULAR thing that people that know video use on a regular basis? I'm a music composer actually, and I was just trying to put together a slideshow for this presentation on music & video. i normally don't have to do this side of it... video editing is more of a means to an end thing for me that I mess around with sometimes and I don't know all the ins & outs of. I'm still learning on a case by case, as needed basis. would love to know if this is like one of those "most video people know it" kind of things like when it comes to the various audio formats and options that I deal with on a regular basis...

• 5. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?

Panasonic is the only manufacturer of AVC-Intra cameras, and they only make one model that's 'affordable' at about $5,000.  So no, it's not a commonly used format round these parts.  I just happened to know that the preset would work for your purposes.

• 6. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?
                    Steven L. Gotz Community Member

Before you nominate Jim for sainthood I have a quick story to tell.

I just now put some pictures into Premiere Pro that were 4608X3072 and I dropped them on a sequence of the same frame size (by dropping them on the "New Item" button). Then I dropped that sequence on a 1920X1080 sequence and used motion to scale them down. I then exported to my usual 1080p YouTube settings and the pictures are as sharp in the video as they are in Bridge.

I used a DSLR preset for my project, and the new 1080p sequence uses I-Frame only MPEG for previews.

i am not saying to not do it Jim's way. In fact, if you do not plan on panning around your images, using Photoshop to scale the images is the fastest and easiest way.

However, it is not really necessary to scale them all the way down, and if you are panning, then certainly they need to be closer to full size.

Now, your camera shoots 7360X4912, a lot bigger than my little sensor can shoot, so you might want to resize to 50% or even 60% of the original size if you want to pan. Just know you don't have to go all the way to an HD frame size.

Also, I don't doubt that the AVC-Intra setting works great, but my DSLR setting does not cause me any problems.

Just to give you something to think about.

• 7. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?

haha right on. i will try your method too on the next thing... i think the main takeaway from all of this is not to use the default DV Sequence type. I actually have a little video I started on a month ago and am gonna finish in a couple weeks, and I'm actually gonna have to go back to that and try switching everything over to a different Sequence preset... I bet it will look way better.

• 8. Re: Still Image Slideshow Looks Awful... Export Setting?
                        joshweiland Community Member

DV is standard definition.  So yes, the video will look pixelated when enlarged.

Both Jim & Steven's suggestions are HD.  Stick with HD.