5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 11:14 AM by Netcommercial

Layer does not stay opaic for duration in PreComp

Netcommercial Level 1

HI All,

I have a little confusion on a PreComp I am working on. 

Background:

Pre made Template is 15.10 seconds long. I am adding Text. I am using 3d Ray Traced text (FWIW) At 11 seconds I am losing the visual on one of my layers in that PreComp. I lose the text 13 frame short of desired length. My T.L Shows longer available then 13 frames, yet I am losing my visual at the last KF Position. My Scale and Opacity are 100%. I have this PreComp nested into another Comp and the same result in both preveiws. The Text is not visible for the desired length, inspite of what appears to be a long enough layer. 

See pics for clarity, advise for layers desired to preview. layer in Question is open in pics

Thanks for direction on this.

PreComp is 11.15 length

Drop out is at 10.02

cap1.PNG

cap2.PNG

COMP that PreComp is nested in..

cap3.PNG

• 1. Re: Layer does not stay opaic for duration in PreComp
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for the screenshots but I'm not seeing the all properties for the layer that is disappearing and I don't see a handles on the text layer that appears to be selected. What happens when you solo the layer? A flow chart would also be helpful with the disappearing layer highlighted in the flow chart so we can see what the origin of that layer is. That is the first place I would look.

• 2. Re: Layer does not stay opaic for duration in PreComp
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As Rick said, it's hard to decipher what's going on without more detail of the problem layer.

The only thing of note is that, in the first image you posted, there's a Light (layer 10) that ends at the same point that your text is disappearing.  If you extend this light does the text remain visible?

• 3. Re: Layer does not stay opaic for duration in PreComp
              Netcommercial Level 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your attention on this.. Rick, I do not know what this means and if you care to expound? "I don't see a handles on the text layer"

I also do not know how to utilize a drop down menu while using a screen grab from Windows7 'the built in scissors', or screen grab ? It seems whenever I try to leave a drop down menu open when using my 'screen grab' the drop down closes when the scissors, or screen grab launches.

Andrew, No, the light layer has no affect on the outcome.

However, I did have success after clearing my Cache' it seems that the Cache was not clearing and leaving me with a stale preview.....

Again thank you for your attention to this, and Rick if you care to share for further on using a screen grab with a menu open for later troubleshoots, it is welcomed.

Regards

NC

• 4. Re: Layer does not stay opaic for duration in PreComp
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you have a layer selected you should see handles. If you go past the out point of the layer then the handles go away. The most likely cause of your disappearing layer is your cache not refreshing. Purge it. Also, make sure AE is up to date.handles.jpg

• 5. Re: Layer does not stay opaic for duration in PreComp
                  Netcommercial Level 1

Ahhh Those handles...I will watch for that 'tell-tale-sign' of a stale cache. I did not know that was a marker for that.

Thanks for pointing it out.... The strange thing about it on my end, was the Layer was always pulled to the end as when created they go to the full length of the comp. I then chop the beginning to desired start spot. commence ediitng.

However as stated with a stale Cache or not, it did not want to show frames to the end of the layer? "Ghost in the Machine, Sting?" FWIW.

Yes, Updates are on for Adobe. Strange Brew.  Things have been a bit funny for AE ever since I had the issue of not getting a ful render. (Which you helped) Via having me kick down the preview quality. Which has nothing to do with the Cache. Maybe an update from Adobe Win7 did not agree with?

.I guess you don't know about the screen grabs and the open menus too...Diff forum for diff software....LOL.

Thanks again guys.

NC