4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 9:46 AM by davidp158

merging C4D 3D objects with AE camera tracked video

davidp158 Level 1

I am able to use CC AE's camera tracker track video, create a ground plane, targets, nulls, etc., and get objects created within AE to move along with the camera movement of the video that was tracked.

However, after I create a C4D "layer" (file), I am unable to align the 3D space of the C4D scene with the 3D camera generated by AE's camera tracker. After matching the position and perspective in C4D, the 3D object remains static and disregards any movement in the video. Selecting either the "Centered Comp Camera" or "Comp Camera" makes the C4D layer shink to about 1/20th of its size compared to the "Cinema 4D Camera".

Can anyone suggest a comprehensive, clearly explained tutorial on how to merge C4D 3D objects with video footage in After Effects?

thanks!

• 1. Re: merging C4D 3D objects with AE camera tracked video
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you are using the right camera.

• 2. Re: merging C4D 3D objects with AE camera tracked video
            davidp158 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Rick. Unfortunately, as I am confused about which camera to use for this particular application, I don't know what "the right camera" may be. I have experiemented with all the cameras, but the results are confusing at best, and I haven't grasped how to implement them. Clues to the solution are appreciated, but what I really need is a comprehensive tutorial that explains this process in full detail.

• 3. Re: merging C4D 3D objects with AE camera tracked video
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You start by running AE's 3D camera tracker on your footage. Then you select tracker points and set the ground plane and origin. Then you either select another set of tracker points or use the same set to create a null and a camera or a solid and a camera.

Now you go to File>Export>Cinema 4D exporter. Save the File. You will get a C4D project with the Ae Camera and any other 3D layers you included in the comp.

Now add your elements in C4d and then import the C4D file into AE. Drag it to the timeline and select use comp camera.

That should do it. It's prety easy if you follow these steps.

If you created the c4D file first, then tracked the footage, you have to select Comp Camera in Cineware, then extract the comp camera in Cineware, then re position your elements inside c4D. This can be done but it is much more cumbersome.

I hope this helps. Just make sure that Cineware is always using the comp camera and that youare using the 3D Tracker Camera from AE in C4d when you are trying to arrange your scene.

Grayscale Gorilla has a tutorial that kind of shows you how to do this. They miss setting the origin and ground plane and there are much more effecient ways to arrange objects in the scene, but it should give you an idea of how this works. The best part of the tutorial is on lighting and color matchin inserted 3D objects.

• 4. Re: merging C4D 3D objects with AE camera tracked video
                davidp158 Level 1

Thanks for the info Rick, but its still not working for me. Every attempt I have made creates horridly out of sync scenes, and I really need a comprehensive tutorial that explains in full detail. I had already watched the Grayscale Gorillia tutorial, but I will watch it again and try to figure out what I've overlooked.

I am familiar with setting the ground plane. I hoped that would be a significant help in this process, but as I am botching something important in this process that feature is lost on me.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations of AE's camera tracker and integration with C4D. For simple things it works well, but results are inconsistent. With video, I have yet to achive anything with acceptable tracking.