9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 12:54 PM by A.T. Romano

Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers

nicknap Level 1

If I want to show the project to a colleague and change from headphones to speakers, it won''t play - I have to save & re-open first.  Then when I want to go back to headphones, I have to do the same again to get the project to play.

Any suggestions?

Nick

• 1. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is probably due to your audio hardware configuration settings.

Are either of these devices USB? If not, do you you exactly the same jack in your computer for your speakers as you do your headphones?

If you don't know how to configure your hardware or set your ASIO, we can help you -- but we'll need to know what hardware you're using and what operating system you're running.

• 2. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
            nicknap Level 1

Hi Steve

Neither are USB, but I am using different jacks for speakers & headphones - leaving the speakers in permanently at the rear jack, and plugging headphones in at the front jack.

I'm using Windows 7, 32 bit.

Nick

• 3. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First try going to Windows Control Panel/Sound and make sure Playback is configured to your Speakers.

Then go to Premiere Elements' Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click the button to open the ASIO Settings. Make sure that your speakers are checked under the Output tab and you should be good to go.

• 4. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
                nealeh Level 5

Also check device manager to see how many sound devices you have. It may be that the front headphone jacks are seen by Windows as from a separate device. I sometimes get problems if I plug my headphones into the jack on my USB keyboard because that is actually a separate sound device.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 5. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
                  P1965 Level 1

I also encountered this problem.  All I had to do was click on the sound icon in the task bar (lower right) on the desktop and check or uncheck which ever the sound output was set to.  IE: It should show a volume level of speakers and the headphones and one or the other will be muted and typically one overrides the other when connected.

• 6. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
                    Fermented_Goat

Hi,

I am having it would seem, the same issue. When I change audio output from speakers to headphones my project will not play back. The headphones are working fine and all other audio emitting from the computer will play, but the project will not resume preview playback. This seems pretty ridiculous, and was wondering if you found a solution.

Thanks,

Josh

• 7. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Josh

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? Does not look like anyone in this thread asked that question. So not sure if version specific or Premiere Elements (any version). Since this is a June 2013 thread, Premiere Elements 12 would not have been around since it was released in September 2013.

Does nicknap's forced workaround work for you at all?

I have to save & re-open first.  Then when I want to go back to headphones, I have to do the same again to get the project to play.

I will see what I can find out about this matter if I can find headphones for my computer. I use a desktop microphone (computer jack kind) and Speakers.

ATR

• 8. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Josh

I am still working on another computer setup for this, but here is a quick look put together as follows....

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

This is a laptop with a built in microphone and speaker system. Also comes with a input for a headphone.

No headphone, Premiere Elements 12, mp3 music import, press Edit area monitor play button - music sound

Stop Playback by pressing play button, plug in the headphone, hit the play button - music sound

Stop Playback by pressing play button, unplug headphone, hit the play button - music sound

and so on.....

I have other versions of Premiere Elements with which to try this.

I am looking for components to do this on my Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit desktop which does not

come with built in microphone.

Please let me know if I am targeting what you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Project won't play after changing from headphones to speakers
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Josh

This is the rest of the story...Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit and going between headphone and speakers.

In my case, I needed to go through the Realtek HD Audio Manager after plugging or unplugging the headset and speakers.

Sound.JPG

When I plugged the headphone into the back of the computer (green jack), I obtained the "The current connected device is:" dialog and

placed the check mark next to Headphone. Then clicked OK to that dialog. Realtek made the adjustments and no problem using the

headphone instead of speakers at playback of the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline in the Edit area monitor.

If I wanted to revert to speakers, then I unplugged the headphone, plugged in the speakers in the back panel of the computer to get

"The current connected device is:", and placed the check mark next to Front Speaker Out, followed by OK to the dialog. When back

in Premiere Elements 12, sound from speakers was operative.

All this time, the Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware ASIO was set with check mark next to all the Output options.

I am not seeing any other opportunities to go between headphone and speakers in my computer environment.

Please let us know if your situation is comparable to my laptop of desktop computer models presented.

Thank you.

ATR