4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 10:40 AM by WCarp

Bayside Beat Issue in Style the Navigation Bar

WCarp

I am having a problem with the Bayside Beat Tutorial in Style the Navigation Bar. When I set all of the margin and padding values to zero with the chain symbol closed in Dreamweaver CC, the menu items do not move over to the left side of the page as shown in the tutorial. Why is this? I have tried it several times and it doesn't work.

• 1. Re: Bayside Beat Issue in Style the Navigation Bar
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Without seeing your HTML and CSS, it's impossible to say why it's not happening. It's almost certainly due to an error somewhere in your code.

I have written a much more detailed tutorial series based on the same design. It goes into exhaustive (some might say exhausting) detail with step-by-step instructions on how to build the site. You might find it helpful in understanding how Dreamweaver CC works with HTML and CSS. It's a six-part series. Part 1 is here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.edu.html.

• 2. Re: Bayside Beat Issue in Style the Navigation Bar
            WCarp Level 1

Padding Issue.JPGThe CSS code I'm using is in your main.css file which was included with the tutorial files. I did not do anything with the links, other than the steps you mentioned. When I got to the zeroing out section, that's where the problem occured.

Actually, it appears that the Padding control is not working properly. Whenever I restart Dreamweaver CC and go back to main.css and select #mainnav ul, or do something else and then reselect those last mentioned items, the Padding box has only a 0 on top and the all the others are grayed out. This occurs even though I have clicked on the chain links to connect them and clicked on the top 0 to select it and then clicked away before and then all of the Padding box sides have zeros.

So, Dreamweaver is not keeping the setting, which I had just set to all zeros on each side earlier but only on the top side.

Because of this problem, I cannot go any further with this tutorial! I just tried to look at the Style the navigation bar session, again and I cannot view it, probably becasue of a downloading issue, which may be caused by an overloaded server.

• 3. Re: Bayside Beat Issue in Style the Navigation Bar
              David_Powers Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

If Dreamweaver is not keeping the setting, it means that you haven't saved the style sheet (File > Save All Related Files).

Looking at your screenshot, the link in the centre of the padding tool is in the default state. This is what it looks like before you start:

padding1.jpg

When you click the chain icon, the links join together like this:

padding2.jpg

When they're joined together, you can set all sides to the same value by changing just one.

padding3.jpg

If the link in the chain icon is broken, each side must be set separately.

padding4.jpg

• 4. Re: Bayside Beat Issue in Style the Navigation Bar
                WCarp Level 1

Yes, I am familier with this. When I went to File-Save all Related FIles, it was grayed out as if it was already done. If I make the selection so all sides of the padding box are zeroed out, with the chain links connected, and save the file using Save all Related files, and then reopen Dreamweaver and go back to where I was, the padding box only has a zero on the top side as shown in my earlier screenshot.