7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 9:20 AM by TLL...

yet another colour management thread

getho Level 2

Here is a warm, saturated image worked on in lightroom, converted to adobe RGB on export, converted to SRGB on output from photoshop. (srg profile not embedded).

wheatleyst_7841.jpg

Its far too saturated and red

wheatleyst_7841-small-ignore.jpg

Here is the same image with the adobe rgb tagged.

wheatleyst_7841-SRGB-small-ignore.jpg

and as srg with the profile embedded.

Now my understanding is that in IE all of these will display the same (and they do, i've tested it), and they all look like the oversaturated red one.  I also understand that the gamut of your monitor will affect just how red they actually appear.

Windows also displays  them all the same - the uber red version.

So the question is - how the frick are we supposed to supply these to our clients?  Bearing in mind they all have different monitors, browsers, OS's.  I've just had the client on the phone complaining about the saturation and it just sounds like so much ******** waffling about gamut and colour managed browsers. 

Are you to just avoid warm saturated images?  Is there an application that we can distribute with the images that will display them correctly? Because if I leave them on a DVD I have no control over what viewer will mangle the colour management.

I'd love some feedback on how other photographers deal with this issue.

EDIT: and joy of joys, adobe obviously strips out the colour managment when these are posted - because the 2nd two look correct in the edit window, but the same as the first when I post it

• 1. Re: yet another colour management thread
          getho Level 2

Heres a screengrab that shows what I'm talking about - firefox on the left, IE10 on the right

2013-06-28_164908.jpg

• 2. Re: yet another colour management thread
            rob_ashcroft Level 1

If you produce on a calibrated monitor an image that looks 'right' to you (as you want it) you have little control over how other people see it on other monitors that probably are not calibrated. I used my wife's laptop last week, and all my FLICKR images had a bluish tint. I adjusted her monitor and now they are fine. You have no control over that normally. Is your monitor calibrated?

Think of it like you walk into a room full of people and make a statement. You know what you mean, but the people in the room could all get a different view of what you said. Just because it's bits and bytes with a digital image doesn't always get around that problem of interpretation.

The two shots you posted in your second post look the same to me.

• 3. Re: yet another colour management thread
              getho Level 2

Really the 2nd 2 shots look the same? Even my ipad I can see a difference. Unless that means that's safari on the iPad is not colour managed and your browser is fully

• 4. Re: yet another colour management thread
                rob_ashcroft Level 1

My wife (the final arbiter of taste and decision making) tells me the one on the right is quite a bit redder. But I can't see it. That might explain why I shoot a lot of BW! I just checked it on her laptop and I still can't see much of a difference, although it does look a little redder on the right. You see what I mean? I'm probably just saying that so I 'fit in' with what she and you are saying, and I don't want to appear that something is wrong with the way I see things.

It just reinforces what I said before - none of us see or hear things in the same way. It's only when the differences are considerable that a large number of people will notice something wrong.

• 5. Re: yet another colour management thread
                  gator soup Level 4

if your app or system doesn't use an embedded profile or assume the correct profile AND correct the colors to the monitor profile (as Photoshop does) it will display differently

the problem on your machine is your problem apps are not fully color managed (like Photoshop) so you get different results...

• 6. Re: yet another colour management thread
                    dutotone Level 1

Just to clarify.. There is a significant difference in saturation in your side-by-side post, the right one is 20-25% more saturated, especially in the reds. Rob Ashcroft, you must be color blind..! :-)

• 7. Re: yet another colour management thread
                      TLL... Level 3

I clearly see the differences in you screen shot, although my version of IE seems to obey the color profiles I embed in our imagery.

I deal with color management like others in this thread - I use calibrated monitors, I profile using sRGB (the lowest common denominator tag for general digital distribution IMO) and advise my clients to do the same (calibrate!). Some commercial clients require CMYK, in that case I edit completly in sRGB and only convert to CMYK when creating final delivery imagery. I use Adobe PS default CMYK settings and I specify this up front in contractual agreements. I have yet to get many complaints that cannot be explained by failure to understand the huge variations in hardware and software that a viewer of digital images might encounter. This allows me to do the best I can and you gotta just let the rest go .