6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 5:35 AM by Steve Grisetti

audio out of synch with video

foxdown88 Level 1

I recently converted a Hi 8 analogue tape into PeE V 11 via firewire. The tape is 19 years old and there was some

jumping of frames at the time of capture. PE seems to do a good job in ironing these out presumably by dropping the offending frames.

My problem is that at the start of the video voice is synchronised with the video but about half an hour in it is not. I think the audio is in advance of the picture.

My question is 1 is this to be expected when the source tape jumps a little  and 2 is there any way to try and shift the audio track within key frames to synchronise with the picture?

Thanks

• 1. Re: audio out of synch with video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How did you digitize the tape? Hi-8 analog tape won't feed directly into a computer. (Digital8 will.)

If this is indeed Hi-8 tape, it's likely that whatever device you used to convert the video to digital is what's causing the your sync problems.

Otherwise, when you add the video clips to the timeline in Expert mode, is there a yellow line above them?

• 2. Re: audio out of synch with video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OOS (Out Of Sync) Audio is common with some digitizing hardware and its software. Sometimes that OOS will be static (off by X Frames all the way through, and easy to fix), or dynamic (drifting more, with time - can be fixed, but requires more work).

However, if you are removing Video Frames, that will also cause OOS. When Video Frames are Deleted, can you also Delete the associated Audio?

For some general discussions of OOS issues, this FAQ Entry might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436751?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: audio out of synch with video
              foxdown88 Level 1

Thank you Bill.

I have dynamic ie creeping delay which I suspect is caused by PE dropping dodgy video frames but retaining the audio.

Your FAQ entry seems to have the answer but I don't understand your instruction to ' turn OFF Snap ( a key toggles it )'

I press alt and hold down mouse button and try and drag the audio but nothing happens

can you advise please

• 4. Re: audio out of synch with video
                foxdown88 Level 1

Thanks Steve

i imported the Hi 8 tapes using ADVC 55 . Because the tape is a bit jumpy I think video frames are being dropped which causes a creeping delay with audio. It is much worse nearer the end of the video clip.

There is a yellow line  above both the video and audio clip.

I am following Bill Hunts advice and am hopeful I can get it to work but as you will see in my latest post I don't understand his instructions and am awaiting a reply

Many thanks

• 5. Re: audio out of synch with video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

While I have not done this with Hi8 tapes, but with old VHS tapes, it has yielded very good results.

I play the tape from start to finish, then play it backward (not Rewind, but a reverse Play). While this does create a bit of head wear (no more than just playing a tape), by doing a Play, then reverse Play, the tape is retentioned, and usually wound onto the hub more carefully.

Often, tapes are stored partially played, rather than being rewound. This can contribute to what is called "Hub Bump," where the area of attachment to the spool distends the tape there.

Before Capture, you might want to Play, then reverse Play, to get back to the beginning.

Hope that smooths things out with the tape, and then the Capture.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: audio out of synch with video
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The ADVC will capture great analog video, assuming you've got any reference to timecode or dropped frames turned off in Premiere Elements' Capture Device Manager.

But, if you're getting a lot of dropped frames and your video lags behind your audio (or vice versa) it is possible you've also got some background interferring with your capture. How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and what operating system are you using?

If your computer's hardware is marginal (ie, dual-core processor or less) or you have less than 4 gigs of RAM, it's possible that something like Windows Indexing, your mail program, your antivirus program or a program like Norton 360 is interferring with your capture. In fact, even if you've got a really fast machine, I'd recommend you turn off your mail program, Windows Indexing and any automatic defragmenter or similar process so that they don't randomly pop in and cause frames to drop.