27 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2015 7:31 PM by station_two RSS

CC (14.x) Bugs

Trevor.Dennis CommunityMVP

I've got to the stage where I have to say something, because Photoshop CC is definitely buggy in my experience to date.  The one that annoys me the most is that I suddenly get stuck with a small brush tool that won't go away without restarting Photoshop.  I can be doing pretty much anything, and suddenly the tool I thought I was using turns into a small brush.  Thank goodness it lets me save the file before I have to restart Photoshop.

I also get Photoshop freezing for about 30 seconds when nothing is happening.   It was impossible to embarrass my NLE system with CS6.  I couldn’t even make it lag, yet alone freeze.

Am I alone with these particular problems?

Message was edited by: Moderator. Please create a new post for Ps CC 2014 (15.0) issues. The OP for this thread had driver issues that fixed most of his issues with 14.x. thx!  

• 1. Re: CC Bugs

No one else?  These don't feel like OS or hardware specific problems, and never happened with CS6 over hundreds or hours use.

• 2. Re: CC Bugs
            John Waller CommunityMVP

Which operating system, Trevor?

And what hardware specs?

• 3. Re: CC Bugs

Windows 7 64bit

GTX570 with latest driver

32Gb RAM

I have Photoshop CS5, CS6 and CC installed, although I do have a problem with the Application Manager which does not recognise Photoshop CC and InDesign CC being installed when they are.  I also have InDesign CS5.5 installed on this system.  I have been advised that I need to unistall and reinstall everything to fix the Application Manager problem, but that's going to have to wait till I have the time.

• 4. Re: CC Bugs
                JJMack CommunityMVP

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=cc&style=problem

When compared to CS6 release its bug free.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=cs6&style=problem

When I tried to run Adobe application manager it wanted update itself.  Instead it replaced itself with an Adobe  Creative Cloud lonin application. I could not agree with it condition so I can not use it.  Then I went to Adobe Web site and downloaded the their latest version of Application Manager.  It Failed to installed with a meaasge that I needed to install the Adobe Advisor application so I downloaded that. It reported that it found nothing wrong. That I should call Adobe.  Why I'm not a candidate for CC.

• 5. Re: CC Bugs
                  JJMack CommunityMVP

About my Adobe Application Install problem. I just tried to delete my User ID local temp files and could not delete all.  Because a file was open in Adobe Creative Cloud Helper.  It seems like the update that the old Adobe Application Manager replaced itself with was up and running on my system even though I declined to accept its terms of use. So I went to the control panel programs and features and remove Adobe Created Cloud whatever.  Then tried the newer version Adobe Application Manager install I found on Adobe's web site that sypportd CC and CS6 which I had tried to install several times but it always failed.  This time there was no failure. There was also no shortcut installed on my machine for the Adobe Application Manager.  However when I use Photoshop CS6 menu Help>Updates and Bridge menu Help>updates an Adobe Application manager window open up. sates I'm up to date and preferences shows  my products.

MyP.jpg

• 6. Re: CC Bugs

Hi JJ.  The AAM is definitely a disaster, but to be fair, I suspect it is having to deal with an impossible number of installation variations from previous versions, and that once it is only deallying with CC apps, it will be problem free.  That's not to say it isn't a PITA as the moment!  The instruction to uninstall all my copies of Photoshop and InDesign, and start again, kind of rankles, and I am not going to do it until I absolutely have to - and maybe not ever.

So I sort of understand and forgive the AAM problems, but the Photoshop CC bugs are annoying me for sure.

• 7. Re: CC Bugs
                      JJMack CommunityMVP

Fair to me would be something like  Adobe software releases after Photoshop CS3 have consistently been buggy.

• 8. Re: CC Bugs
                        g.kurzemnieks Community Member

I'm having the same problem - brush tool gets stuck no matter what other tool is selected. This happens very often and It is very very annoying.

i7, gtx780, win8 64bit, ps CC 64bit

• 9. Re: CC Bugs
                          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Cursor getting stuck is almost always due to a bug in the video card driver.

Update the driver from NVidia's website.

• 10. Re: CC Bugs
                            artjungeone Community Member

Hi

Yes I got freeze Problems too and a bunch of other Bugs but at the moment no one has replied to my smashing freeze Problem OMG.

My Photoshop CC 64bit freezes during use of different Image Tools sometimes it freezes using Scaling tools or drag tool or it hang up while opening an existing Document.

if your Photoshop freezes is the Operating System Running or does it freeze the whole System so you must restart (reset) ?

at the moment im using the 32Bit version of Photoshop CC but this is not a big deal running an

win 7 64bit pro with i7 3930k, 32Gig RAM, AMD 7970 Ghz Edition GPU...

• 11. Re: CC Bugs
                              chrono1081 Community Member

You're not the only one having issues. Photoshop CC is terrible. Its like going back to CS3/CS4 days.

Right now I can't even erase layers with the eraser tool, or selecting and hitting delete. This is after repeated restarts. I also can't select with the magic wand tool anymore, it simply highlights the entire image instead of the specific color I choose.

Unreal.

• 12. Re: CC Bugs
                                Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Other people aren't having those problems.

Check the tool options, and check your system.

• 13. Re: CC Bugs

There's an interesting news article on DPReview this week about website comments.  They identify some of the stereotypes including posters who come from nowhere with no posting history spouting unfounded vitriol.  The best way to deal with such posters has not changed since Usenet — don’t feed the trolls.

BTW I disassociated myself from this thread ages ago as the problem I had was 90% fixed by updating the tablet driver.  The cursor still gets stuck occasionally, but nowhere near as bad as it used to.

• 14. Re: CC Bugs
                                    soffpaw Community Member

I'm getting tool freezes as well, not to mention the random flattening of smart objects. Overall I love CC but these bugs are pretty awful, and I am going to have to go back to CS6 to get my work done.

Sad bear.

• 15. Re: CC Bugs
                                      jimsanderson Community Member

I have a couple of irritating bugs in CC 2014.  I can't adjust the flow or opacity with the stylus wheel with my Wacom airbrush. I can't adjust the text size for any options in the drop down menus so that the size is teeny/tiny and causes major eye strain.  Sometimes keyboard shortcuts for tools don't want to work.  A number of irritating things. The first two mentioned have me working in CC rather than CC 2014 most of the time.  CC has it's own bugs, but it's better than CC 2014 for me.  I'm glad that CC was left on the computer when I installed CC 2014.  Hopefully Adobe will be able to work these things out.

• 16. Re: CC Bugs
                                        darkHouse Community Member

CC is really buggy. It's really hacking me off. I'm getting very used to seeing a PHOTOSHOP HAS STOPPED WORKING message. I've never had any bug problems with any previous versions of PS I can still remember. But CC is constantly having issues, sometimes on opening files (recent files too) it will just crap out, and often with SAVE commands - whether SAVE / SAVE AS / SAVE FOR WEB. Often when saving, the shell explorer is started without the ability to navigate to a location - it's like it's only half loaded the window. Sometimes you can cancel out and try again and it works. Other times it won't play ball or it just crashes. And before anyone says it's a Windows problem, I don't have this problem with any other apps, I never had it with CS5 either. I never had it with CC on this system initially but as time goes on it gets more unreliable. I've had serious loss of work moments. It's pretty unbelievable in 2014.

WIN7 PRO x64 SP1 / AMD Radeon HD 7700 series / Core i7-3770k 3.5gHz / 16GB RAM

• 17. Re: CC Bugs
                                          Noel Carboni Community Member

It's not buggy for everyone, and your "as time goes on" comment implies that there may be some things about your system in particular that the latest version is not happy with.

Probably the first and foremost thing you can do is to check your display driver version.  With a Radeon 7000-series card I believe you should be using ATI Catalyst 14.4 at this point.

3rd party plug-ins can also sometimes cause problems.  As can misconfiguration or corruption of preferences.

If a display driver update doesn't solve your issues, in Photoshop go into Help - System Info, copy the info, and post it here.  Perhaps there's something showing there that experts here can spot, which will lead to more specific advice.

-Noel

• 18. Re: CC Bugs
                                            Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Please remember that the number one cause of crashes in Photoshop is bugs in third party software.

And also remember that the save dialogs are controlled by the OS, not the application.

• 19. Re: CC Bugs
                                              JoeDu22 Community Member

Lots of little bugs. Tab key didn't reveal panels after I hid them. Currently can't show the options bar. Weird little things.

• 20. Re: CC Bugs

Hm, when I use the Tab key all the panels hide, then when I press it again they all show.

My Options bar shows in the expected place.

From my perspective "lots of little bugs" simply does not apply.

Joe, if you wan to try to get some help diagnosing your issues directly, please start a separate thread.  I have a feeling either you have misplaced expectations about what certain controls do, or you have some specific problems with your installation.

-Noel

• 21. Re: CC (14.x) Bugs
                                                  SG... Employee Hosts

Hi,

Adding to Noel's excellent suggestion, please create a new post for Ps CC 2014 (15.0) issues. The OP for this thread had driver issues that fixed most of his issues with 14.x.

regards,

steve 

• 22. Re: CC Bugs
                                                    darkHouse Community Member
                                                    • Windows up to date
                                                    • AMD Catalyst and drivers up to date
                                                    • New version of CC2014 installed (failed to install twice with the CC app, then worked on the third time. Of course I never have any problems installing software with normally packaged .exe files, but I expect that is the fault of my system too, rather than anything to do with Adobe's installation layer, right?)
                                                    • No plugins or third party software in CC2014
                                                    • Third time of running CC2014, wasn't even doing anything with it - appcrash - see screenshot

PS-crash.PNG

• 23. Re: CC Bugs

I mean no disrespect to you or your system, but if you're seeing crashes and others aren't, where would you imagine the problem is?  I'm not trying to assign blame here; I'm trying to help you find and fix the problem.  Who knows, it's possible that a particular hardware driver on your system isn't providing Photoshop what it needs.  Or maybe you just got a bad download.

Photoshop demands a lot of a system.  Everything regarding the network, GPU, RAM, and disk I/O subsystems must work perfectly.

Have you tried any or all of these things?

• Clear all of Photoshop's preferences to factory defaults.
                                                      • Change the Advanced preferences in the Performance panel to other settings.
                                                      • Change the amount of RAM Photoshop is allowed to access.
                                                      • A full removal and reinstall.

That your system failed to install several times from the Creative Cloud application is an indication that you may have had some kind of errors occur during download.  Anyone could imagine that a downloader ought to be fully protected by a hash or CRC or something, and that's certainly how I'd program it, but we just don't know.  Maybe there WAS some kind of download failure.  It's a bigass file, most of a gigabyte.  Perhaps you could try to download the installer separately for Photoshop CC 2014 and check the MD5 hash.  Such a download is possible through following a procedure listed on the ProDesignTools.com web site.

You've already been asked to provide more info than you have (Help - System Info).  Why have you not done so?  If you'd like to explore more possibilities to try to get Photoshop to work with other users who have made it work right, are expert in both Windows and Photoshop setup, and are willing to help you for free, this is the place.  Start a new thread and provide detailed info.  If you're just here to complain, you've already done that - I hope it made you feel better.

-Noel

• 24. Re: CC (14.x) Bugs
                                                        station_two Community Member

JJMack wrote:

…When compared to CS6 release its bug free…

JJ,

That remark coming from you, I can only surmise that the Windows version of CS6 13.x was an unmitigated disaster compared to 13.0.6 that I've been running on my Mac.  Bummer. 

• 25. Re: CC (14.x) Bugs
                                                          maraziwazi Community Member

It gets stuck with me too! I'm really disappointed in the product

Seems no-one is testing software at adobe. The relie on user based testing. Soo I have to mention everything that doesn't work correctly.
                                                          I want my money back!

I've spended hours on solving ****, which all worked fine in abobe photoshop cs 5

I got the fastest system iMac retina! It should work like an oiled machine

Fix your **** adobe!

I've already started writing bad stuff about you on every forum I cross to find solutions for your bugs! Not good for your name

• 26. Re: CC (14.x) Bugs

Just a clarification in general, not necessarily referencing this or any other post:

BOILERPLATE TEXT extracted from the FAQ:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0

Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive, demanding, accusatory or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

• 27. Re: CC (14.x) Bugs

maraziwazi wrote:

I want my money back!…

Unfortunately, only Adobe customer service can assist you with your issue. These are user forums; you are not addressing Adobe here.

Click on the link below, and after that click on "Still need Help? Contact us."

Then on the next page, click Chat

There is also a phone option. 1 (800) 833-6687

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?step=PHXS_downloading-installing-setting-up_licensing- activation