6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2015 11:28 AM by GraphicguyCanada

CS6 Lighting Effects-Missing Control Handles / Crashing

SDAgency Level 1

I have read several other threads on this issue where the control overlays are missing when you go to Filter>Render>Lighting Effects. The "answer" from Adobe always seems to be, "updated your video card drivers."

I have a ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 560v for my Dell laptop running Windows 7 64bit. I have checked both through Dell and the ATI page and I have the latest drivers but Lighting Effects don't work properly. So now what?

I tried messing with the Preferences for Performance based on other posts. No luck. When I go to View>Extras>Show All I do then see the controls, however, the program freezes then crashes every time.

So is there a fix for this or do I have to go back to CS4 to do all my lighting effects?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: CS6 Lighting Effects-Missing Control Handles / Crashing
          Level 7

Make sure you have the Photoshop CS6 updates installed, then check with AMD about clearing out leftover bits of your video card driver and installing a clean copy of the current driver.

And yes, we keep telling people to update their driver when we know the driver is the problem.

• 2. Re: CS6 Lighting Effects-Missing Control Handles / Crashing
            SDAgency Level 1

Chris, Thanks for responding.

I do have the latest Adobe Photoshop CS6 Creative Cloud updates installed according to Adobe Application Manager.

I have emailed AMD/ATI. I'm not sure how one goes about "clearing out leftover bits of your video card driver and installing a clean copy of the current driver." If I uninstall that driver would I be able to see anything onscreen?

The AMD/ATI Website doesn't list the driver that came with my Dell computer. When I go to Dell I can see I do have the latest driver.

• 3. Re: CS6 Lighting Effects-Missing Control Handles / Crashing
              Level 7

AMD has a "driver cleaner" app on their site.

Dell's drivers are usualy a year or two out of date (almost as bad as Microsoft).

You really need the latest drivers from AMD, and ignore the obsolete Dell and Microsoft drivers.

• 4. Re: CS6 Lighting Effects-Missing Control Handles / Crashing
                SDAgency Level 1

Chris,

99% SOLVED! I think the problem here is that Photoshop users don't know the tech speak surrounding driver technology.

For instance when you started talking about AMD I was thinking, "I have an ATI driver, who is AMD?"

Also, quite frankly the AMD/ATI site is a very poor unser experience. I searched for my Dell Studio 1747 Laptop driver (ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 560v) several times and it found no drivers to update even though there is a whole page dedicated to that processor.

I never did find what you called a "driver cleaner" on the AMD site, however I stumbled (yes, stumbled after looking at tons of pages on AMD) on this AMD Driver Autodetect. I installed that and it recommended I replace my driver with AtI Mobility Radeon HD 4650. The process went smooth other than everything on my screen getting tiny for a bit. After the forced restart everything looked right.

I opened a Photoshop doc and tried Filter>Lighting Effects and still NO CONTROLS / HANDLES, however this time when I went to View>Extras>View All the handles showed like before BUT PHOTOSHOP NO LONGER CRASHES. I can now manipulate those controls/handles and use lighting effects.

I know this is not all of Adobe responsiblity, but I'm writing this post hoping anyone wlse who is frustrated will taked your advice, go to the AMD Driver Autodetect link and get it sorted out.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: CS6 Lighting Effects-Missing Control Handles / Crashing
                  PixbyTed Level 1

I still think there is a pesky insect lurking in Lighting Effects. The past advice was to update video drivers when experiencing the lost handles issue. This works for a while then the issue pops up again. I've found the only way to restore lighting effects is to do both 1) update video drivers, b) blow away the Photoshop preferences file which is a Royal PITA.

My presumption is lighting effects is wonky ... it is the only filter that exhibits this behavior and it seems to emerge whenever either Photoshop is updated, and/or the video driver is updated. Granted it hits the GPU hard, but it smacks of instability.

• 6. Re: CS6 Lighting Effects-Missing Control Handles / Crashing
                    GraphicguyCanada

I 100% agree.....it is not a stable plug-in. I can never get it to work for more than 1 use and even then its buggy at best.