7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 5:44 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem with transition in elements 11

bubu 28

Just instaled my elements 11 and trying appying some transitions beetwen clips , drag and drop method which I saw on tutorials dosn't work any idea why ?

• 1. Re: Problem with transition in elements 11
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, a few questions please:

• What OS are you using?
          • What are the specs. of the Clips (both Video & Audio) on your Timeline?
          • What happens, when you attempt to drag a Video Transition, or an Audio Transition to the appropriate Clips on the Timeline? Remember, Audio Transitions will only go on Audio Clips, and Video Transitions will only go on Video Clips.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem with transition in elements 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bubu28

You should read the following thread for the most recent information on Premiere Elements 11 audio transition issues. This latest reports go to serious problems associated with the placement of audio transitions (Constant Gain and Constant Power)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1198480?tstart=30

If your problem is with video rather than the audio transitions, please let us know and which specific video transition you are having problems with. What alignment do you want, which one do you see after the drag and drop and before closing the Transition Adjustments Pop Up, and what alignment do you get after you click Done to the Transition Adjustment Pop Up. Are your Premiere Elements 11 transition problems related to setting the duration as well as the alignment of the transition?

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Problem with transition in elements 11
              bubu 28 Level 1

Hi thank you guys for quick reply

I'm using windows 7  64bit version

The problem I have regarding video only not sound .Once I've select  transition and trying draging that to chosen gap beetwen clips appers tiny sign -crossed circle which typicaly means that operation is not possible.

I've using short 10, 20 second long  standard footage from my Canon 60d nothing fancy really .

Any ideas? Thank you

• 4. Re: Problem with transition in elements 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

bubu28

Please state a specific video transition so that we can cross compare to rule out any glitches in a specific video transition. Are all or just some transitions not working for you? For a given transition, do you have problems placing it with all or just some of your video files?

After you drag and drop the video transition between the clips and then release the mouse, do you ever get the Transition Adjustment Pop Up?

Approaching this from another angle, that being not enough frames at the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second clip to make the transition work

Split off a few seconds at the end of the first clip and a few seconds at the beginning of the second clip. Right clip the gap between the two, and click on the pop up Delete and Close Gap. Now try to make the video transition placement.

If that works, I will go into trimmed and untrimmed clips, how to tell a trimmed clip from a untrimmed clip, and what is going on at the juncture of the two clips when you apply a transition between two clips.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problem with transition in elements 11
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like you are trying to add Video Transitions to Clips that do not have adequate Handles. Take a look at this article, and see if that helps: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3727485#3727485

Normally, if there are not adequate Handles, and the Clips ARE butted together, then PrE will give you a message about not having enough Video Frames, and that the last Frame will be repeated, which is usually not what one would want.

If the Handles article does not fix things, then I agree with ATR, that knowing the exact Transitions would be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Problem with transition in elements 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I have already introduced the clip handles angle on this with my request to bubu28 for the following

Split off a few seconds at the end of the first clip and a few seconds at the beginning of the second clip. Right clip the gap between the two, and click on the pop up Delete and Close Gap. Now try to make the video transition placement.

If that works, I will go into trimmed and untrimmed clips, how to tell a trimmed clip from a untrimmed clip, and what is going on at the juncture of the two clips when you apply a transition between two clips

So with the results of the test that I suggested, we may or may not need to know the specific video transition involved although it more complete the details.

We will continue to watch the thread for bubu28's follow up results.

ATR

• 7. Re: Problem with transition in elements 11
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

My purpose for offering up the article on Handles was to explain what they were, and how they can affect Transitions. If one never did any cine editing, or A-B Roll video editing, they can be a rather abstract concept. I wanted to share the WHY.

Hunt