12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 6:18 AM by nicolek81159300

When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?

ggreenbe

I have created a master spread which contains master elements on that page (color background, footer text) and then a child-masters which inherits from the masters but allows for a change in certain text elements since this is for a 400page book divided by section and chapter.

The child-masters when loaded into a different document than the master document mess up with their formatting.  I can't figure out what is causing this.  Anyone know from first glance what might be the problem?

Software: Adobe Indesign CS5.5

Here is what they are supposed to look like:

regular-format.png

Here is what they look like when loaded into another document: (Red header box has overset text & text above blue bar is shifted to the left)

incorrect-format.png

Thanks for any help. Let me know if I need to specify additional info.

• 1. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First question, did you also move the parent master? Second question, are you patched to 7.5.3 in ID?

• 2. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?
            ggreenbe Level 1

Just upgraded to 7.5.3. (Thanks for the notice)

I moved the red header textbox around and noticed that the text appeared and was not overset anymore.  I think it might have something to do with the baseline gridalthough I don't see how.

As for the ofset textbox over the blue bar, still have no idea what is causing that.

I've attached 3 screenshots for the formatting of the red header textbox at least:

fontformat.png

selection.png

font-format2.png

• 3. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?

Does the problem persist if you move the masters after the upgrade? And again, are you moving the parent as well? Does it also have a unique name/prefix that does not appear in a default document?

Have you considered saving the master file as a template, then creating new files from the template and making the necessary changes?

• 4. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?
                ggreenbe Level 1

If I move the textbox around without resizing it's size, the text inside appears which makes it seem like a grid problem.  The name is the same on all the documents as the master.  I simply synched all the master pages with the other book documents.

I have considered savingt he master as a template but I currently have around 40 documents that would then need to be converted.  Is there any easy way to make these documents use the template without redoing all the text, etc.?

edit:

I don't think templates would work in my case as I need the master file functionality where if I change an element such as coloring or spacing, it will change in the other documents as well. From my understanding,t he template file is just a template and does not inherit any properties,.

• 5. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?

OK, you didn't mention this was a Book before, so that changes things a bit. All docs have the same set of masters? Did you also synch the styles? I wouldn't be surprised to see overridden master objects reasserted after a page synch, but objects moving is not expected, and I suspect probably a bug.

And I don't think I understood before that you want to make them all the same rather than having slight differences from chapter to cahpter (like different color page borders or something).

As far as making exisiting files use a new template revision, the best I can offer is to make a new file from the template, then move the pages from the old file into the new one, choosing Before Page 1 to keep the spreads intact, then delete pages that were in the new file before the move. I'm not certain this will work anymore, however. Seems ID now makes new copies of master pages with a new prefix when you move them with the same name, instead of using the master from the receiving file, and I haven't tested to see what happens to document pages.

• 6. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?
                    ggreenbe Level 1

Let me try to explain my current work process (it is/was my first project with InDesign so I might have used improper conventions)

book is divided into sections (example: Dogs, Cats, Fish) and within each section there is a chapter/sub-section (Pitbull, Golden Retriever).  The design for the header and the footer is the same (color, position, shape) through the entire book.  The only thing I change document to document is the section name (I use a master text variable) and the chapter title.  I sync all documents int he book with the first file I created which contains all the master style, spreads, etc.

The problem I am currently getting is that upon syncing the spreads, the header textboxes are not working in al of the files apart from the master.  Two problems:

1) The top boxes containing page number and section becomes overset unless I move it about .5in up or down from the master position where the text then comes back into view.

2) The chapter ehadings are all shifted half a page to the left. 

It seems some style perhaps is conflicting although I've had trouble figuring out what since I don't think they are inheriting another style.

Hope that explains it all better. Thanks againf or your time.

• 7. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?
                      ggreenbe Level 1

I just tried to paste the original textbox into the same spot and it was hidden until i moved it up ever so slightly.  It's like something has a large padding/spacing issue..?

• 8. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?

Try selecting the frame, going to Text Frame Options, and checking the box to Ignore Text Wrap. Either there's a grid you're aligning to, or there's text wrap on something you aren't seeing, I think. I stah frame overridden onthe document page? It could actually be the same frame on the master page behind it.

I think the headings shift is a bug, but make sure all the chapters and spreads are using the same ruler settings and zero points.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?
                          ggreenbe Level 1

ah it looks like your send part is right. I am overriding a master spread (inherit) and it looks like the one it's overriding is causing trouble witht he formatting for the header textbox.  If I remove the box from the master, it appears without overset.  Is there any way around this or will I simply have to remove the box from the master?

• 10. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?

Whenever a master page is reassigned overridden objects are preserved on the master document page, AND the master object reappear in their original locations and withthe original parameters. YOu can delete the overridden objects from the document page, or hide them and override and delete the new master objects, but you can't avoid the issue.

• 11. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?

reassigned overridden objects are preserved on the master document page,

Shoul not have the worrd "master" in it, so it says just document page...

• 12. Re: When loading master page into new document, formating is all wrong...?
                                nicolek81159300

I think I am having a similar problem but can not seem to correct it.  I have text boxes in my master pages where I am putting the chapter headings.  Each time I make an adjustment to the master page and re-sync it with the rest of the document, my text boxes are all shifting  (not consistently with each other either though, some are moving just a little bit and others are moving a good half page away from their master page location).

my text boxes are colored in and have been lined up to a guideline with the width only being adjusted to the left when text is entered in the page (ie: i have it set up so when I type in the next chapter page, the right side of the text is always in the same spot and just the distance to the left is changing depending on the length of the title).

The same is happening to my headers which are centered on the page, but have the width to the left and right both adjusting so the title is always centered on the page.

I have tried walking through the steps on this page and non of that seems to be helping. Hopefully there shouldnt be too many more adjustments to the master pages, but I just dont want to get to the end of the 300+ document and find out i have to go back to each page and manually fix the alignment of the text boxes should there be a last minute change to make on the master document.

(NOTE: I have one document with the master pages, and individual documents for each section of the book which are being synced through ID's book feature)

If anyone has any fix or suggestions let me know!