17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 3:32 AM by schnudiesounds

Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?

BenFreedman Level 1

Howdy..

I apologize if this has been discussed before...

I'm using CC, but I believe this was an issue on CS6 too...

When I have a job encoding in Media Encoder, and I switch back to Premiere, the AME job 'pauses' every time the timeline in Premiere is playing.

Is there a way to stop this activity, so the Media Encoder does not pause?

Best,

Ben

• 1. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think so.  AME was designed to do that, I believe.

• 2. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The only way to stop the pause is to sop playing in PP.

• 3. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
              Andrew_S Level 3

Don't use File > Export. Send the sequence to AME and let it process in the background. It will take longer to process, as AME is not using the GPU.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

AME will use the GPU if PP had it turned on when you sent the sequence over.

• 5. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                  Andrew_S Level 3

Is this a difference between CC and CS6? With CS6, if I use File > Export, AME reports that it will take 24 mins to process the sequence as its using the GPU. Of course I cant do anything with Premiere during this time. However if I run AME and import the sequence into it, select the same export preset, it says its going to take 58 mins to process the sequence. This can of course then run in the background whilst I'm using Premiere in the foreground.

It sounds like this process works differently with CC?

From the description in the original post, it looks like CC AME can be configured to use the GPU at anytime (or does so by default) and so when Premiere is running and hence using the GPU, then AME has to stop as it cant use it. Have I got this correct?

• 6. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                    jasonvp Level 3

Andrew_S wrote:

Is this a difference between CC and CS6? With CS6, if I use File > Export, AME reports that it will take 24 mins to process the sequence as its using the GPU. Of course I cant do anything with Premiere during this time.

You're not using AME when you do that, until you then hit the Queue button in the dialog box.  If you don't hit the Queue button, you're letting PPro handle the export.

• 7. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                      Andrew_S Level 3

Yes, I understand that. I was describing the two ways I export media. But the original post said that AME pauses when Premiere plays. I've never seen that happen. The original post said that he thought it also happened under CS6. So I'm trying to understand under what circumstances this problem occurs.

• 8. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                        jasonvp Level 3

Andrew_S wrote:

Yes, I understand that. I was describing the two ways I export media. But the original post said that AME pauses when Premiere plays. I've never seen that happen.

The way you phrased this:

Of course I cant do anything with Premiere during this time.

led me to believe you were exporting through Premiere.  Exporting it and queuing it over to AME still allows you to do edits.  But as noted, whenever Premiere and AME are in contention for resources (say, the MPE), Premiere will win out.

• 9. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                          Andrew_S Level 3

Jason Van Patten wrote:

But as noted, whenever Premiere and AME are in contention for resources (say, the MPE), Premiere will win out.

And when does that happen? I cant make this happen with CS6.

• 10. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

if I run AME and import the sequence into it

It won't work that way.  You need to send it from PP to get the GPU acceleration in AME.  At least, it was that way for CS6.  I haven't testing importing into AME CC7 yet to see if acceleration would work.  There is no setting in AME for hardware acceleration, though, so I suspect it's still dependant on the setting in PP for it to work.

• 11. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                              Andrew_S Level 3

How do you send a sequence from PP to AME? The only ways that I know are to use File > Export, OR open AME and import a sequence OR drag and drop the sequence from PP into AME. So what is this "send" option? There's nothing in Dynamic link or any other PP menu that I can see. What am I missing?

• 12. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

File>Export will 'send' it.  Opening AME and importing from there will not use GPU acceleration.  I don't know about drag and drop.  I've never tried it as I always have both prorgams full screen on a single monitor.

• 13. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                                  Andrew_S Level 3

After a bit more testing, I now see what the original post was saying. He's saying, that from within PP use File > Export > Media, set up the required parameters and then click the queue button. This launches AME, so it can run in the background whilst still using PP. However AME stops processing whilst PP is playing back a sequence. But why would you do that anyway? That's because (taking one of my sequences as an example);

(In the examples below, I have omitted setting up the relevant codec parameters etc.)

A) Using File > Export > Media and clicking on the Export button shows that it will take 25 mins to complete. It uses the GPU to speed things up. You cant do anything with PP during this time.

OR

B) Opening AME and adding the relevant sequence into AME and then starting the export, shows that it will take 58 mins to process. It does not use the GPU, so you can run PP at the same time (if your computer has the power.)

OR

C) Use File > Export > Media and click the queue button. This opens AME and starts the processing within AME so freeing up PP to do other things. This still takes 58 mins as it does not use the GPU. However if you start to play media in PP, then AME stops processing.

I think I now understand what the original post was saying. Its just that he never mentioned clicking the Queue button.  Since you can do the same thing as C) but with B) you don't need to use C). Steps B or C both take the same time to process.

• 14. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I thought your numbers were strange, so I ran some tests as well. Using a roughly 1 minute AVCHD clip exporting to H.264 1 Pass with one accelerated effect going through AME in all cases, here's what I found:

CC7

GPU Off, No Effect - 1:01  (Baseline)

GPU Off, One Effect - 1:23  (Takes longer, as it should)

GPU On, No Effect - 1:03  (Within a normal margin.)

GPU On, One Effect - 1:23  (WTF?!)

This didn't seem right, so I tested CS6 as well:

CS6

GPU Off, No Effect - :47  (Hmmm, identical settings, yet faster than CC7)

GPU Off, One Effect - 1:11  (Takes longer, as expected.)

GPU On, No Effect - :48  (Within margin.)

GPU On, One Effect - :50  (Ah, HA!  I knew CS6 was using acceleration through AME!)

Wanting to make sure, I added a second effect:

GPU Off, Two Effects - 1:26  (Longer still, no surprise.)

GPU On, Two Effects - :47  (Definitely using acceleration through AME)

So here's the take away.  CC7 is no longer using hardware acceleration in AME!

Why, Adobe?!

• 15. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                                      nw42 Level 2

confirmed - if you export 2h material with resize in 2K 10bit max quality GPU + CPU will send this as DXP out to HDD in about 3h...

CPU only will take 9h per export

with AME CS6 + GPU I can set up a queue and export 3 features overnight

with AME CC7 without GPU I can set up a queue and export 1 feature overnight

ups - doesnt need the queue any more :-(

that behaviour of AME doesn't make sense - hopefully it's only a bug that get fixed...

• 16. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                                        Sven Brencher Level 1

There seems to be a difference in how you start Media Encoder. When you use the Media Export command in Premiere Pro and launch the Media Encoder from the Export Settings dialog it will pause encoding when you playback in Premiere Pro. But if you just start the Media Encoder like any other tool and then drag and drop clips or sequences into the Render Queue it will not pause – even when you playback in Premiere Pro. But avoid using Premiere Pros Export Dialog because it will change that behaviour until you restart the Media Encoder.

I think the idea behind that behaviour is that you if you launch the Media Encoder from within Premiere Pro or use the Export command from Premiere Pro the editing application gains priority for smoother playback. But if you launch it as a separate program Media Encoder has higher priority and you might end with more drop frames during playback in Premiere Pro.

I tested that on a Mac, so I can't confirm wether it behaves the same way on windows.

Best regards

Sven

• 17. Re: Media Encoder Pauses When Premiere Plays - Can I stop this?
                                          schnudiesounds Level 1

Sven is pretty right with this, even on WIN. Many Thanks.

best, Sebastian