4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 8:21 PM by Rick Gerard

Confusion on motion tracking...

VidNoob Level 1

OK I have a comp. I want to track the video. AE won;t let me just track the video from this comp, I need to double click the comp and it opens a separate comp window with the video in it. Now I can select the video and track. i create a null layer to attach the track data to.

Now this is where I'm confused.

What I am trying to do is track a mask which i will use for color correcting. I want the mask I'm guessing on the null layer since it has the track data. But do I work with the null layer in the second comp window that was opened, or am i supposed to copy that null layer into the original comp window?

Also if I work with the second comp window (Titled after the video file name) then the track data on screen wont go away. is there a way to egt rid of that?

• 1. Re: Confusion on motion tracking...
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The AE tracker works on a layer view not a comp view. That is what you get when you double click the footage.

You then go back to the comp, select your target, like a null, and apply the tracking info to that null. You can't add a null to the layer window.

Just go back to the comp to work on the comp. The layer window is only for looking at and working with that single layer. You can not work on anything but that layer in there.

There are dozens of motion tracking video tutorials out there. Most are ok. I'd take a look at a few.

• 2. Re: Confusion on motion tracking...
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here's a whole workshop on motion tracking:

http://www.lynda.com/After-Effects-tutorials/Motion-Tracking-Stabilization-After-Effects-C S55/123474-2.html

If you don't have a Lynda.com membership, you can start a free trial membership that'll last plenty long enough to watch that 98-minute series.

• 3. Re: Confusion on motion tracking...
              VidNoob Level 1

Rick, when I go back into the comp tab after tracking in the layer view, I am no longer able to pick a source to apply the tracker data to. I can only apply it to whatever is in the layer tab, for instance if I create a null layer in there it will let me choose it as a target... So do I do that then copy the null from there to the comp view windows? Otherwise,  I really cant go back to the comp layer to work on it.  Confusing. I will check more motion tracker tutorials though i have watched a few in the past and have successfully done motion tracking on some projects before, I just dont understand why this one is seemingly giving me hassle.

• 4. Re: Confusion on motion tracking...
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have a null in your comp and you track your footage, then when you are in the tracker, with the footage layer selected, you can edit your target and apply the tracking info to the target.  It has always been that way and it is explained in every tutorial I have ever seen on the use of the tracker.