8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 5:48 PM by the_wine_snob

Editing clips = changed timeline?

ultfris05

Hello all!

I am new to Premier Elements (11), so please excuse the newbie question. I'll appreciate whatever help you can give!

I'm in the process of editing a short commercial that has many clips with several layers. When I edit a clip to make it longer or shorter, all of the following clips move down the timeline. For example, if I extend the length of one clip by 00:00:00:10, then all of the following clips move up by the same amount. Editing one clip moves all of my other clips around and changes the whole video!

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ultfris05

I believe you are observing the normal ripple effect of the Timeline movement under the circumstances that you describe.

Please check out the following Adobe Tech Note on arranging clips in the Timeline Expert view.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS9B8F8208-EAE8-4b49-A79B-9479B46A8981. html

After you go through the how to article, if you still have any questions on adding and arranging clips on the Timeline, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
            ultfris05 Level 1

Hi ATR!

Thanks for your reply. I read through the article, and I'm not sure that it addressed the issue. Let me try explaining again with some screen shots.

Here's what the timeline looks like before I edit a clip:timeline 1.PNG

And after I decrease the time of the toes2-2.jpg clip on the left:

timeline 3.PNG

The desired result would have been for the middle column of clips (gas tank 2.jpg) to stay where it was (ahead of the :24 mark) instead of rippling down to below the :24 mark.

Does this help clarify the problem? Did I miss anything in the article that could help with this?

Thanks a ton!

• 3. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ultfris05

Please try the following using what are called keyboard modifiers Alt or Ctrl key of the computer main keyboard. In this specific case, the Ctrl Key.

a. Before you decrease the time of the toes2-2.jpg, hold down the Ctl key and then decrease the time with the mouse cursor.

Let us start here and see the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Per ATR's suggestion to use the modifier keys, when you do, your Cursor will actually change, indicating that you are no longer in Ripple Mode.

That should solve the issue, but if not, do not hestitate to report on your progress.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
                  ultfris05 Level 1

ATR,

That's perfect! Exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot! You saved me a lot of editing and reediting.

• 6. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
                    ultfris05 Level 1

Hey Hunt,

Thanks for letting me know about the cursor change! Is there any way to keep the cursor in that non-ripple mode, or do I need to hold down Ctl each time?

Many thanks!

• 7. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ultfris05

Thanks for the follow up. Glad that suggestion worked for you when decreasing the duration of a clip and stopping movement of some nearby clips.

The keyboard modifiers are meant to be used to control the native behavior for specific instances not to stop the native behavior on a permanent basis.

A tip for another time involves the use of the Alt Key of the computer main keyboard and holding it down as you drag media into a Timeline already populated with media. This protects from disturbing the tracks contents which includes spontaneous splitting of audio.

Continued success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Editing clips = changed timeline?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know of any global way to alter the default behavior.

Interestingly (at least to me), the default for PrPro is the opposite - defaults to Insert Edit, and the modifier keys then change it to PrE's default. Why Adobe chose to do things in the opposite order, has never been addressed, but would assume that the designers felt that the "average" operations would differ between PrE and PrPro users?

As I go between the two programs, I have to remind myself which one I am in, to determine if I need a modifier key, for my intended operation - tough in the early AM, before my first cup of coffee...

So glad that you got your answer.

Good luck and happy editing,

hunt