9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 6:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere 9 crashing

TheHoppster99

I am running Windows 7 Intel i7 8GB ram.  I had Adobe Premiere 9 for some time and now it crashes everytime I try and open it. I tried some of the troubleshooting steps I read but nothing works.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TheHoppster99

Do you have the 9.0.1 Update installed?

Does the problem exist for old and new projects?

How far do you get before it crashes...opening the program, opening the project, or other?

Have you optimized your computer, especially in term of clean up and clear out

a. Adobe Folder...preview and conformed audio files (cfa and pek sets)

b. Edit Menu/Preferences/Media to get to Clean Button for the conformed video files (.mcdb)

c. Have you run the ccleaner with your computer, regular and registry cleaner?

d. Where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

Are video and audio card drivers up to date, according to the web site of the manufacturer of the cards?

You realize that you are running a 32 bit application with all the resource limitation of a 32 bit system even if you have Windows 7 64 bit. So let us look at the available RAM situation (should be 3 GB or less) and free hard drive space.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I am with ATR, and especially on the audio and video drivers. The most common cause for PrE to not launch fully, is an obsolete video driver, so that would be the first thing that I would look into. I recommend going to the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site, checking the latest driver for your card, and then comparing that with the installed version. If you do not have the latest version, I would download and install that, then test.

Please let us know a bit more, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
              TheHoppster99 Level 1

Do you have the 9.0.1 Update installed? YES

Does the problem exist for old and new projects? YES

How far do you get before it crashes...opening the program, opening the project, or other? Opening a new or old project.

Have you optimized your computer, especially in term of clean up and clear out

a. Adobe Folder...preview and conformed audio files (cfa and pek sets)

b. Edit Menu/Preferences/Media to get to Clean Button for the conformed video files (.mcdb)

c. Have you run the ccleaner with your computer, regular and registry cleaner?

d. Where are the Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

a. thru e.  Not sure what you are asking.

Are video and audio card drivers up to date, according to the web site of the manufacturer of the cards?  I updated them.  ATI Radeon HD5450.. from 8.960.11.1000 to 12.1.04.0.0 

You realize that you are running a 32 bit application with all the resource limitation of a 32 bit system even if you have Windows 7 64 bit. So let us look at the available RAM situation (should be 3 GB or less) and free hard drive space.  Not sure what you are asking.  I have almost 500 GB of free hard drive.

AFTER UPDATING THE VIDEO CARD DRIVER, THE PROGRAM IS WORKING AGAIN.   THANK YOU!

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

AFTER UPDATING THE VIDEO CARD DRIVER, THE PROGRAM IS WORKING AGAIN.   THANK YOU!

Great news, and thanks for posting of your success.

While the video driver is not the ONLY cause for such issues, it IS the #1 cause, so that's why questions about the video card/chip and the drivers are asked about so very often.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
                  TheHoppster99 Level 1

How important are your a. thru e. suggestions?  I would follow them too if you think its necessary.  I just would need a little more info.  Is ccleaner an independent program?

Ken

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Keeping one's computer turned up, and lean & mean, are very important. Large working files can build up rather quickly.

I fell that those suggestions by ATR are very important, and something to always think about - even if they might not be useful in solving a problem at hand - great working practices, so very important.

When I do much editing, my first stop, before I shut the computer down, is to completely defrag every HDD, though I do that weekly, in general practice.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

The Hoppster99

Thanks for the good news that you are moving forward with your project.

Since your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application in your computer environment, it needs all the support it can gain from a optimized computer, optimized including points as suggested in a prior post in this thread. You would be expected to gain advantage in getting your editing and exporting taken to a successful conclusion, especially been you are pushing limits with larger projects.

That ccleaner is a free 3rd party software that can be accessed from the following link.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I use the cleaner portion of the program routinely...weekly, and the registry portion when indicated. So far, no horror stories to report as some have encountered with some older Microsoft products and others used for registry cleaning for left overs from incomplete uninstall or failed installs.

Continued success. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
                        TheHoppster99 Level 1

I hope you don't start to get annoyed with me.  I am running ccleaner right now.  Can you explain a. and b. to me?

You opened up a can of worms asking me questions.

Ken

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere 9 crashing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

Never too many questions.

ccleaner

Open the ccleaner to the following interface with the Cleaner icon selected...

ccleanerCleaner.JPG

Go with the defaults and click "Run Cleaner". Click OK to the intital dialog. Best have your browser closed so it can do a complete job.

Next, using the same opening interface, select the Registry icon

(I use the program's default settings)

Registry.JPG

Click on Scan for Issues button.

When Scan for Issues is 100% complete, then click on Fix Selected Issues

As a result of clicking on Fix Selected Issues, a ccleaner dialog will appear asking you "Do you want to backup changes to the registry?

Click Yes and save the backup file to your computer Documents.

Then click  Fix All Selected Issues in the next dialog that appears.

When the cleaner finishes its task, click Close.

Please check out the above. And, do not hesitate to ask for clarification if I have left anything out or anything seems out of place in the program path given. Remember, never too many questions.

We will continue to watch for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR