15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2013 2:28 PM by Stephen Pickering122

Can you give suggestions on new editing hardware?

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi there,

I try not to post at multiple places but I've already posted at CreativeCow and haven't received a response.  I'm wondering if anyone here has some suggestions for me.

After searching around I came across Videoguys DIY build suggestions.  Not being a hardware guru I thought it would be best to find systems people are happy with and customize only if needed.  I looked at their 9.5 build and it's about $1,700 without an OS or hdd. Below are my specs and prices from Newegg. But I have a few questions I'm hoping more knowledgeable people could give some guidance with.

1. I'm wondering if enough time has passed since the 9.5 build that you might recommend other parts or combinations for same or less price?

2. It would be nice to cut the cost a little since I still need an OS and SSD for booting, but not at the cost of regretting it later. It will primarily be editing Canon DSLR footage and I'm finding myself doing more and more After Effects work too. Would I be unwise to try to cut costs by downgrading any of the current specs below?

3. The video card they recommended on one page was GeForce GTX 670 ($370) (no CUDA support by adobe). Another page said to go with a QUADRO 4000 ($700+). Currently I'm using an outdated card with the CUDA hack... which... is lacking. I would like CUDA support but I am still on a budget. Any suggestions for a budget GPU with CUDA support?

Here's the current shopping cart at Newegg:

Motherboard
      ASUS P9X79 Pro Model
      $224.00

Processor
      Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz
      $570.00

RAM
      32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 8x4 GB kit
      $275.00

Case
      Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
      $65.00

Power Supply
      CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
      $124.00

CPU Cooler
      COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
      $35.00

Blu-ray Burner
      Pioneer BDR-208 Blu-Ray Disc Burner
      $90.00

GPU
      EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670
      $370.00

OS
      NONE

HDDs
      NONE

TOTAL PRICE with Shipping
      aprox $1,700.00

Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Stephen