Exit

Attempting to update flash: Privileges issue

Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser: Firefox 22.0

Plugin version: Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700

My Role (on my computer): Administrator

Firefox is no longer auto-loading Flash anywhere on the web for me-- ironically, including the popups here on the Flash Forum's WYSIWYG editor.

Each Flash instance contains a blank placeholder and a link to the Firefox Plugin Status page (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/), which indicates that my current Flash plugin (11.7 r700) makes my computer vulnerable.

Clicking their "Update Now" button sends me to Adobe's Flash installation page (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) where clicking the "Download Now" button quickly downloads the standard disk image and installer for Adobe Flash Player.

Running the installer and then entering my (correct) user name and password has repeatedly returned the following error message:

"Host

The user does not have sufficient privileges to install Adobe Flash Player."

I've seen questions about this throughout the forums, but no helpful response or guidance on fixing this extremely annoying issue. Can anyone help?

Much gratitude in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello? Has anyone found a solutionm to this (apparently very common) issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've deleted all instances of Flash Player and the Flash internet plugin. I have re-downloaded the installer from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) and atteplted to install the Flash player/plug in, and STILL the same problem, though now, it's even worse necause I cannot activate even the older version of Flash because it's gone! Seriously, for the number of times this issue has appeared (with NO HELPFUL RESPONSE), shouldn;t there be an Adobe staffer who will answer our pleas for help?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you might find these steps repeating but please try the exact steps as mentioned below.

1. Download the appropriate uninstaller from the following page: Uninstall Flash Player | Mac
  2. Close all browser windows, mount and run the uninstaller
  3. Restart OS X
  4. Delete all remaining files and folders locating in the following folders:
    1. \Library\Internet Plug-Ins\Flash Player.plugin
    2. \Library\Internet Plug-Ins\flashplayer.xpt
    3. ~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player\
    4. ~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player\

At this point, Flash Player should be fully removed from your system.  To download the most recent version of the Player for installation, please visit http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

One the installer is downloaded close all browser windows, mount and run the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. I was beginning to think I was the only one who could see my post.

As mentioned in my previous posts (above) I've done ALL of that and the problm has worsened. This is becoming a time-sucking nightmare for my computer, the library, the ACL, etc. I would like to beat the CRAP out of Adobe and Mozilla right about now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error and the reason is because like every other stupid software company in the world, the assumption that Adobe has made (erroroneously) is that every one is an Administrator on their machine.  I need to install the Flash Plugin for Firefox NOT IN the Program Files or Windows directory but some place where I have the privledges to write.

So if you can tell me how to run the Installer on the command line so I can install into a different directory...  that would be helpful.  Any chance of that happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that there is some issue with disk permission. Please repair disk permission by running disk utility.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/repair-disk-permissions-running-disk.html

if this doesn't help then create a new mac user account and install flash player in that account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines