2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2013 1:37 PM by HenryPB RSS

Am I approaching this fold animation the correct way?

HenryPB

Hi guys,

I am using Flash CS6 on OSX 10.8.2. I am trying to create an animation of a box that is folded in half down the middle before opening up with a concertina movement. (I've attached an image that will hopefully be able to explain what I am trying to make a little better!)

Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 12.26.14.png

This is how I have gone about trying to achieve this:

I have created two rectangle shapes each on a separate layers and converted them to movie symbols.

The top symbol has a nested animation which is a 3D rotation.

The 3D rotation centre point is set on the centre of the top edge of the symbol and rotates on the x-axis.

The bottom symbol has essentially the same nested animation however with the 3D rotation centre point set on the centre of the bottom edge.

The bottom symbol then has a motion tween (not nested) to move downwards as the nested animations play.

As the animation is playing though I am having a bit of a problem making everything line up correctly! I've tried few other ways of trying to achieve this (shape tween) but with no real luck. Am I approaching this the right way? If anybody had any feedback or advice I would really appreciate it! I'm trying to get the basic animation correct first before I make it more complicated!

Thanks in advance

Henry

• 1. Re: Am I approaching this fold animation the correct way?
          Ned Murphy CommunityMVP

Have you tried making the bottom a child of the top where it is attached at the bottom of the top one and the bottom has its registration/axis at its top instead?

• 2. Re: Am I approaching this fold animation the correct way?
            HenryPB Community Member

Hi Ned

Thank you for your advice it was very helpful. I did as you suggested the panels now move together seamlessly when they rotate

I have been experimenting this afternoon and added two more pannels. My only problem now is that I am having trouble getting everything to line up properly after the animations are complete. Allthough each panel is set to rotate at the same angle for the direction it is suppose to rotate in everything looks out of place on the final frame. Has this something to do with the perspective and vanishing points? The vanishing point is currently set at the center of the stage and the perspective angle is 55. (I've attached the another image so you can see what I mean!)

Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 21.24.58.png

Also I was wondering why sometimes when I try to edit the co-ordinates for the 3D centre point in the transform panel that it automatically defaults to another value? Say for example I set the centre point on the X-axis to 200 pixels on an object sometimes it automatically defaults to 201.1 or 198.9.

Thanks again for your help.