16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 9:45 AM by A.T. Romano

My play button will not work!!!

05jenni13

My play button will not work!!!

• 1. Re: My play button will not work!!!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

o5jenni13

The answers are in the details and very little details offered by you to help us help you.

Major: What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Then...

1. Where is this play button?

a. underneath the Edit Mode Monitor

b. underneath the Preview Window Monitor

b. underneath the monitor of the disc menu preview section of the program

2. What is your project preset? And what are the properties of what you are putting on the Timeline track of the project?

3. What do you computer resources look like with regard to available RAM and free hard drive space?

Please review the above. Do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: My play button will not work!!!
            05jenni13 Level 1

Hello,

I'm using 9.0

The button is under the edit mode monitor.

I'm sorry I don't understand question 2 & 3

• 3. Re: My play button will not work!!!
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2 Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

3 Windows or Mac... how much installed Ram... number and size of hard drives

• 4. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                05jenni13 Level 1

Hello,

I'm currently on a windows

I'm not sure where to find that info

• 5. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

05jenni13

What version of Windows do you have...

Windows XP 32 or 64 bit

Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit

Windows 7 32 or 64 bit

Windows 8 32 or 64 bit

Generalizing...in the absence of specific edition of Windows

a. If you want to find installed RAM...right click "Computer", select Properties, and you should see a screen with that information

b. If you want to find drives set up...left click "Computer" and view the drives. Typically there will be Local Disk, and then any other drives.

free space and total capacity for each drive typically can be found under the icon for the drive.

As for project preset...when you open Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, you are greeted by the new project dialog. What are you doing with it? Just clicking OK or setting a project preset that matches the properties of the source media that you are importing into the project? If you do nothing, the default is NTSC DV Standard for an NTSC setup and PAL DV Standard for a PAL setup. Which one of those are you?

Hope the above information helps. Please let us know. And, do not hesitate to ask for further clarification on anything that I write.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with John T's links, this article might be useful in helping you find the answers to ATR's questions: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3220274#3220274

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                      05jenni13 Level 1

Hello,

I have Windows 7

With 8.00 GB for RAM

When the screen greets me I open the project I am working on. Whenever I burn a disk it normally says NTSC DV

• 10. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

05jenni13

To recap,

We have established that you have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit with 8 GB RAM installed.

On to the next phase...

It sounds to me like your are accepting the default setting for the project that is NTSC DV Standard.

What are you importing into the project, photos, videos, musics...? After you import these files into the project what happens after you press the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard. Does the playback start automatically when the rendering process that you cause to start ends?

Do you get playback if you press the spacebar of the computer instead of clicking on the play button of the Edit Mode Monitor?

The problem that you brought to us, it is the type where

a. It worked before but not now

b. It never worked before

Since you wrote  "Whenever I burn a disk it normally says NTSC DV...", that sounds like this is an issue type "it worked before but not now".

If you start a new project, do you have this same problem in the new project?

Let us stop here for the moment to give you a chance to answer all of the above questions. The answer to just one will not help. We need all to get an overview for troubleshooting.

We will be watching for your progress and have other things for you to do depending on what you tell us.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                          05jenni13 Level 1

Hello,

Yes the recap is correct.

Yes i'm editing a 1st communion video and I've imported photos, videos, and music. It used to play automatically after rendering but I tried rendering it now and it does not playback. Before I could press the spacebar or click on the button and it will play but now neither of those ways work. Yes, this is the first time this has happened. I opened a new project and no the play button works just fine there as well as in another project. It is just this project that does not play.

• 12. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

05jenni13

Thank you. Your information was very helpful. Here are some things that I would like you to explore and then let us know the outcome.

1. In the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that there is a check mark next to

Play work area after rendering previews.

PE9Preferences.JPG

2. In Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 workspace, right click the Edit Mode Monitor and select Playback Settings.

Do your Playback Settings look like the following?

PlaybackSettings.JPG

3. If 1 or 2 above does not target the problem. Then go to File Menu/Save A Copy in order to say a copy of this project. Close the project. Then shutdown the computer. Restart the computer, open the Copy project in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and see if the play button problem is gone.

4. If all does not solve the problem, we could think about this some more, but it might be quicker to start a new project were you know that the play button and playback in the Edit Mode Monitor is possible.

We will continue to watch for your progress.

Thanks again for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 13. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                              05jenni13 Level 1

Hello,

Ok I have tried all of the following and still the button nor spacebar work.

If I start a new project I will have to start all over and I am almost done with the current project.

Will the play button have an effect when it comes to burning the project into a DVD?

• 14. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

05jenni13

Will the program allow you to finish this current project? If so, I would invest the DVD disc and try to burn to disc DVD.

Your problem in the Edit Mode Monitor may reflect other problems in the program, but it may not.

So, give it a try before starting a new project from the beginning.

Hoping for success in the current project.

Thanks for the update and following through on the troubleshooting.

ATR

Add On...I forgot to mention, we will be looking forward to your results.

• 15. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                                  K@P Level 1

Can someone corroborate my possible solution to the spacebar dilemma?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1515737

• 16. Re: My play button will not work!!!
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

K&P

Did you post in the Premiere Elements Forum by mistake to ask for conformation of a Premiere Pro spacebar issue/resolution since your solution seems to evolve around the export of an .xml file from Premiere Pro?

I ask since there is no export for a .xml file that I have ever run into in Premiere Elements (any version).

As I suggested to the Premiere Elements user here, perhaps the project might be salvaged by exporting it and then

reimporting the export into a new project rather than starting a new project from scratch.

ATR