13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 7:30 AM by Peter Spier

Indesign cc memory problems ...

MATSATI

I was previously using Indesign CS6 with no memory problems.  I uninstalled CS6 and installed CC when two days after it had become available.  I have installed all updates to indesign.  I have this installed on two systems.

1) Laptop:  Windows 7 64-bit, 4Mb RAM, 1.65 GHz

2) Desktop: Windows 7 64-bit, 6Mb RAM, quad core 2.0 GHz

This same issue is occuring on both systems, open indesign 64-bit, and a small document (5 pages of text) and the system memory is consumed until nothing is left.  On the laptop I run both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions indesign that were installed, same issues.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and is there a work around? 

-- Duane --

• 1. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
          MATSATI Level 1

Note to everyone, this has nothing to do with confusing between 32-bit and 64-bit.  The previous release (CS6) I experienced no problems.  This release, computer creeps because of poor memory usage by indesign cc.

-- Duane --

• 2. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
            MATSATI Level 1

There is a bug in indesign CC, opening a CS6 document, indesign cc will respond very slowly as a result of poor memory usage.  Open the task manager and watch the system memory while typing words or copy/paste into indesign cc. 

I was able to resolve this issue but creating a new file and copy pasting the contents of the CS6 file into the CC file.  No more memory problems and no more slow responses.  Note that saving the CS6 as a CC file, then saving in compatibility mode, and then back into CC, does not resolve this issue.  Thankfully, copy/paste into a new indesign cc file does resolve this issue.

FYI to anyone who is experiencing this problem!

-- Duane --

• 3. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why would saving in compatibility modes make a difference???

It's not recommended to open older files Directly in a newer verison. The workflow for migrating older files to a newer version has always been to export the file from Old Indesign as an IDML file and then open that in the New InDesign.

You really should read the Help Files.

Save an InDesign Markup (IDML) document

In some cases you may want to save an InDesign in interchange markup format. It’s especially useful to save in this format when you open a QuarkXPress or PageMaker publication in InDesign, when you open a document created in a previous version of InDesign, or when you’re experiencing problems with your document, such as not being able to delete color swatches.

1. Choose File > Save (CS6) or File > Export (CS5).
              2. From the Save As Type (Windows) or Format (Mac OS) menu, choose InDesign Markup (IDML).
              3. Click Save.

You can open the saved IDML file in InDesign CS5 and InDesign CS4 but not in any previous version of InDesign.

For information on using IDML for development purposes, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_id_indesignmarkup_cs4_en.

• 4. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
                Rene Andritsch Level 1

I am on a Mac and experience the slow performance in newly created files. http://forums.adobe.com/message/5465858#5465858

• 5. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
                  MATSATI Level 1

Eugene,

If Indesign will not open older files, this is poor programming practice on Adobe's part, I considered this a bug and poor practice and with others having the same problem, Adobe needs to reconsider the open/export requirment!  When working with 20-30 files while writting a book (chapter/file), it is impractical to export every file.  That is a very poor use of time when time is money!  In additon to this, referring customers to the help file is also poor advice. 

Oh well, I hope this helps someone who is experiencing the same issues!

-- Duane --

• 6. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...

The Help Files are there to Help you - it's good advice to read the manual before operating any software, or anything really.

I'm not saying it's practical - but it's always been that way - there's a good article here about why there's a variance in file structure http://in-tools.com/article/whats-with-back-save-to-earlier-versions-of-indesign/

It explains why Newer InDesign files cannot be read in an older version of InDesign.

And it's true when you open an old indesign file in a new version - there can be similar issues with the file structure.

Am I saying it's perfect? Nope - but that's how it works.

It's not for every file either - the Help file specifically says "or when you’re experiencing problems with your document"

So it's Good Advice to do this to clear up your problems. It's all in the Help Files - which everyone should read.

• 7. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I only do that if there's a problem. I've seen none moving to CC from CS6.

That is no way a denial that people are having issues. They most

certainly are but to go through that process is just a waste of time for

anyone not experiencing them.

I've also seen at least one post from someone who tried that and found

it didn't help.

Bob

• 8. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...

This seems to be system specific for small number of people.

We need all the information we can find to help narrow down the cause.

Adobe engineers, AFAIK, are monitoring these threads so any info you

have, even if you think it's meaningless could be a help.

• 9. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...

Bob Levine wrote:

I only do that if there's a problem. I've seen none moving to CC from CS6.

That is no way a denial that people are having issues. They most

certainly are but to go through that process is just a waste of time for

anyone not experiencing them.

I've also seen at least one post from someone who tried that and found

it didn't help.

Bob

That's exactly why I pointed them to the Help article about exporting to IDML - because they were experiencing problems.

It is a waste of time if you're not experiencing dificulties.

I've seen dozens of posts that said it didn't help too - but equally I've seen another dozen that says it did help.

I've seen another few that said they tried it and it didn't help, but went back and "did it again" and it worked all of a sudden.

Who knows what the issue was? Could have been anything at all.

But it's always a good bet to export from CS6 or CS5.5 or CS5 or whatever version you have to IDML and open that in the later version you have.

It might work - it might not.

• 10. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...

Agreed. And it's important to export it from the original format (which

you pointed out). Opening it in CC and the reopening is not, apparently,

going to fix anything.

Bob

• 11. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
                              MATSATI Level 1

I read that forum post too on creating a new file and pasting the contents from CS6 file, etc, that is where i got the idea.  I thank God it worked for me!  Anyone continuing to experience this problem and have this symptom dont stop trying until various things until you resolve your issue.

-- Duane --

• 12. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
                                Andy Wickes

Hi Eugene,

I'm puzzled by the comment:

It's not recommended to open older files Directly in a newer verison. The workflow for migrating older files to a newer version has always been to export the file from Old Indesign as an IDML file and then open that in the New InDesign.

We work on a shared server, so I'm not sure how I would know what version another member of the team used to create a file?

How would I know that the file was created in CS3 and that I needed to open in CS3 and export to IDML before opening in CC?

All the file icons appear to me in the style of CC as that is what I have installed?

Am i misunderstanding something here -  I hope so?

A

• 13. Re: Indesign cc memory problems ...
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

On Windows you should be able to see the correct version icon, but on Mac I think you see only the icon for the latest version you've installed. You could install the Soxy plugin from Rorohiko.com that will open files in the version from which they were saved (if it's installed), or you can run the script from Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File, or you can just open the file and check the file history if (Converted) is appended to the name in the titlebar.