16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 4:52 PM by stockdizzle66

Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export

stockdizzle66

I'm trying to get my import/export settings right--I keep getting black bars and a squished or stretched image when my videos export.  Since Elements doesn't read MOD I've been using miro to convert, which doesn't like to export to mp4 all that well to begin with (which furthers my diagnosis problems.)  I don't know anything about video image->pixel size (nor can I find anything online that makes sense to me) and canon's website doesn't tell me what my camera is shooting in in those terms, but I've been using the widescreen format--what is that size??  I'm not sure if this problem is because of defaulting project settings on import (Elements not picking up on the proper format and defaulting to something else), an exporting problem (I've tried all the different settings under publish+share>computer>mpeg4 and quicktime>NTSC DVD standard and widescreen, as well as every other export option I can think of), or a conversion problem (why doesn't Elements accept MOD to begin with?  Final Cut 7 does no problem!)  Everything looks good in the editing process, plays fine etc. 

Is this a simple fix?  The videos play fine in quicktime, but VLC catches the bars, which makes me think it's a simple solution to a complex diagnosis.  Please help, thanks.

CAMERA:

canon FS200

MOD file format (raw file image/pixel size is not shown, can't find it)

mac OS.10.8.3

Elements 11.0

Miro converter 3.0

• 1. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

MOD files are typically 4:3 or 16:9 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). From what you wrote you appear to be setup for NTSC. I am guessing that you shot MOD 16:9. If that is the case...

Open Premiere Elements 11.

Immediately go to FIle Menu/New/Project

and set the project preset for

NTSC

DV Widescreen

Before exiting the new project dialog, make sure to put a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project.

Back in the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, import your MOD Widescreen file into the project with Add Media to Project Assets. From Project Assets drag the file to the Timeline Expert view.

Right click the thumbnail of the file in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and, in the Interpret Footage dialog, go to its Pixel Aspect Ratio section.

In the Pixel Aspect Ratio section, dot the Conform to: and select D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121). Click OK to exit the Interpret Footage dialog.

When you look at the image in the Edit Mode Monitor, there should be little or no traces of black borders. If a trace, click on the monitor and use the handles of the bounding box around the image to drag it out to get rid of any traces of black border. Instead of using the bounding box handles for this purposes, you can highlight the clip, select Applied Effects to get to the Applied Effects Palette and its Monitor Panel expanded. In the Monitor Panel, you can use the Scale property there for scaling purposes to get rid of any traces of black border.

Please let us know if the above resolved your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A couple MOD discussions that may help

Read Hunt on Using MOD/TOD files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990

-and Canon FS300 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1013177?tstart=0

Also, MP4 is highly compressed and therefore is not a good choice for editing... what other codec options does your converter allow?

• 3. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
              stockdizzle66 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes A.T., importing MOD files directly and following your instructions solved the display problem!  

John--thanks for the links!  I've been able to convert MOD into Quicktime (MOV) files via Mpeg Streamclip with good results, however now I have the same squished display problem with the MOV files when using AT's suggested settings, but without the black bars. 

Yes, I am shooting in 16:9.  At least that much is clear.

• 4. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

Thanks for the update.

Let us look into the following next, one problem down (the aspect ratio), next the quality of playback of your Timeline as seen in the Edit Mode Monitor.

1. Given that you are working with .mod widescreen 16:9.

a. Open a new Premiere Elements 11 Mac project. Go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset yourself in the new project dialog. You want NTSC DV Widescreen. Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

b. Once back in the Premiere Elements workspace, go to Add Media/Files and Folders and import your mod.widescreen into Project Assets.

c. Right click the .mod widescreen file in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and, in the Interpret Footage dialog, dot the Conform to: and set that to DV/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121).

d. Drag your .mod widescreen to the Timeline from Project Assets. Do you see no colored line over the content, an orange line, or a green line? If an orange line, render the Timeline with the Render button or pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard. Is the .mod widescreen now display the same, worse, or better than before we started all this?

Also, right click the monitor, select Playback Quality, and see if there is any difference in what you are seeing if you use Highest instead of Automatic as the set. Also check to see if Magnification there is "Fit" rather than other.

Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

Please review the above and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

Although conversion .mod widescreen to another format is always a consideration, it has not been found to be necessary in essentially most cases. Classically, if an import problem with this type of file, the renaming of the .mod file extension to .mpg prior to import took care that while Interpret Footage took care of the aspect ratio issue.

I just saw your note about MPEG Streamclip. That works great for Windows for conversion to DV AVI. Never tried it for a .mov export for Mac. But remember there is an option for 4:3 or 16:9 in that dialog (or there should be...I will take a look if you do not find it). So no distortion expected since MPEG Streamclip should be supplying that problematic 16:9 flag.

• 5. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                  stockdizzle66 Level 1

Thanks again for the detailed help.  Looks like you are correct and MOD files can be used without alteration (makes things WAY easier!)  Everything seems to be good: playback (it was the playback quality) and deinterlacing (on export) and everything is good to go!!

Thanks again. 

• 6. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

Great, great news. Thanks for the follow up.

It is so good that you are moving forward with your projects.

Continued success.

ATR

• 7. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                      stockdizzle66 Level 1

New question--should I do a new thread? 

I'm having issues now when sharing/exporting to Quicktime.  The NTSC DV setting makes it widescreen, squashed with black bars on top/bottom.  The NTSC DV 16:9 option makes it squished in standard size.  This is with the current settings as above.  I've noticed that under advanced export settings I could change the video codec, but I don't see anything that references our current project settings. 

• 8. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

For now I would stay with this thread.

It would follow that one of your export opportunities should be NTSC DV 16:9.

Let me give this a first hand look. I think I have a .mod widescreen file around somewhere.

But right now, I am understanding:

Project preset set by you before importing file, NTSC DV Widescreen with a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project.

You use Interpret Footage to set the Pixel Aspect Ratio to Conform to: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)...I noted a typo in an earlier post...DV/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121) but I cannot get at it to correct the DV/DV... to D1/DV, but you get the idea.

Returning to your thread soon.

ATR

• 9. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

Road tested this one with QuickTime, VLC Player, Windows Media Player. It should get you a H.264.mov file with great 16:9 aspect ratio for your QuickTime export derived from your .mod widescreen Timeline content.

Premiere Elements 11 Mac

Setup as previously discussed

Project Preset set by you = NTSC DV Widescreen

Interpret Footage = Conform to: DV/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121).

Now this may be cheating a bit, but it works at least in my Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bti

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset, set the Export Settings as shown in the following screenshot...

QTExport.JPG

Other than what you see in the screenshot, please leave everything else as is for now. Please let us know how that works as I think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                            stockdizzle66 Level 1

Here's what I have.  I tried setting it to square pixels but I got the bars on the top and bottom.  What does progressive, lower, higher refer to, and how does it affect the final product?  Look like this works well though, and plays in VLC and QT10.  Is 720x480 a smaller widescreen size?  Just checking.  Thanks again Romano!

Screen Shot 2013-07-02 at 8.32.26 PM.png

• 11. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

In the previous post I was trying to work around the difficulties of 16:9 recognition by the players involved.

The VLC Player seemed to be the most accommodating with regard to respecting the 16:9 aspect ratio of the export. So, that we might force all the players (Windows Media Player, QuickTime, VLC, and others to display this video as 16:9, I was suggesting an export with the following essentials

Width changed from 720 to 856 pixels

Height left at 480 pixels

Frame Rate 29.97 frames per second

Field Type Progressive

Aspect Square Pixel (1.0) ...when this is the setting, you get what you see for the Width and Height in pixels, that is 856 x 480.

I suspect that when you tried my suggestion, you left 720 x 480 and did not change that to 856 x 480 as shown in the screenshot.

NTSC Standard and Widescreen have the same frame size of 720 x 480. The difference between the two is that widescreen includes a 16:9 flag that stretches the video for display after encoding. The generally accepted "stretched" is to 856 x 480, roughly speaking. So, I was attempting to bypass the need for the player to have to recognize a 16:9 flag in order to display your video as 16:9 since I had removed the need for a 16:9 flag with the frame size given and the use of square pixels for the Pixel Aspect Ratio.

If you get a chance, could you give the suggestion another look in that context?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                                stockdizzle66 Level 1

All went well.  One question: I will be displaying these videos in a blogsite that uses a JW player with a different default size; is this export option going to be set for all players?  If so then the videos will be too big for the blog (hang over the blog post window).  Thanks. 

• 13. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

Have you been using the JW player a long time or are you just getting started with it?

I have not used it so this one will need to come from what I have searched out and read. I wonder if you have more first hand information.

But I will get back to you with what I find.

ATR

• 14. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                                    stockdizzle66 Level 1

I have contacted my developer about the custom parameters he's made for JW.  Will let you know when I do! 

• 15. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stockdizzle66

We will be watching for further development. Will you be giving him the specifics for this 856 x 480 pixels to factor into his recommendation?

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Black bars alongside video+squished aspect ratio on export
                                        stockdizzle66 Level 1

I have done so.  Thanks for suggesting.