7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 8:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble

LucyC

I recently had to re-install Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 to my new hard drive.

All of a sudden I am no longer able to import AVI files.

I have done this literally thousands of times in the past and now I am prevented from doing so.

There is probably a simple fix and I'm not sure about Codecs nor do I need to learn about them,

I just want to import some simple AVI clips. help. HELP. HELP ME PLEASE before I go mad

(I am a windows user)

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble
          A.T. Romano Level 7

LucyC

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 installed on.

AVI is just a wrapper format for the video and audio compression among other things. What is the video and audio compression of your ,avi files. Not all files with an .avi file extension have the same compressions. So that type of information is needed.

If you do not know the properties of these .avi files, you can use free program such as the following to find out and let us know

Overall

MediaInfo

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Good Especially for Codec Information

gspot

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/quick_start.html

Is the problem just with importing these .avi files or do you have trouble opening existing projects that have these .avi files included?

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>not sure about Codecs nor do I need to learn about them

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

An additional question would be regarding your OS. Did you do a complete install of it, or did you perhaps work from an image, or backup?

As CODEC's are installed into the OS (exception will be a few video players, like MediaPlayer Classic HC, which has its own set), it is very likely that your OS does not now have the necessary CODEC, as it did before the HDD replacement.

ATR's questions, and John T's links will help you to help us find out what is needed for your AVI files.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble
                LucyC Level 1

Hello ATR,

First, I want to thank you for responding to my post and forgive me for taking so long to respond to yours.  had to step away from this mess for a few days, I couldn't look at the problem anymore, needed a break.

So. My o.s. is Windows XP.

I don't know what the compression of my AVI files are. I've done this literally thousands of times in the past, and at this point, I don't really want to load more and more software to do things to files I don't know how to do. Also, I don't see why I need to when I didn't before.

In answer to your final question, the problem lies in 'get media', so it's only in 'untouched' AVI files, not in old avi's that I've already worked on, such as existing projects.

thanks so much

sincerely,

Lucy C.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...

Charles Dickens

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble
                  LucyC Level 1

Hello John and thanks for responding

I know the definition of a CODEC but I believe my problem lies in that I've done this literally THOUSANDS of times before,

why, after re-installing the product, can I no longer upload a simple 20 second AVI file from my Canon powershot?

I have no problems at all loading existing projects, just with new ones (after I re-installed on new h.d.)

thanks

Lucy C.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one small creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up?"...

Charles Dickens

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

LucyC

Thanks for getting back to us on this issue.

Based on what you just wrote, let explore the following direction for the troubleshooting. If this approach works, great; if not, we think about this some more.

If you say that these untouched .avi files are from the Canon Powershot, I am guessing that they probably are MotionJPEG.avi. That MotionJPEG video compression can be a nuisance to deal with at times. Sometimes it appears that the matter is more the availability of this video codec to the project rather than its absence in the system.

Did the Canon Powershot come with a utility that you had installed on the old hard drive? And, did you reinstall that utility after the hard drive replacement? If not, that is a consideration. Some believe use of the camera's utllity is a way around the Premiere Elements MotionJPEG issue when it pops up.

Another approach would be to download and install the tryout Morgan MotionJPEG codec (for now for troubleshooting purposes) so that we can rule that aspect of the issue in or out.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/morgan_m-jpeg_codec.cfm

We will be watching for your follow up when you get a chance.

By the way, did you remember to reinstall the 9.0.1 Update for version 9?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9 AVI file trouble
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Lucy C,

Thanks for that information. I agree 100% with ATR.

The AVI files have likely not changed at all, but there is now a difference on your computer - the MJPEG CODEC is either missing, has become corruted or is no longer available to PrE. His recommendations are exactly what I would suggest, also.

Good luck, and please let us know how things work, when you get that MJPEG CODEC installed. Should work a treat!

Hunt