7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2013 7:28 PM by Mike M RSS

backgound colors for IE8

JJkeeganVI Community Member

i built a landing page and micro site but the backgound colors dont appear in IE8 what do i have to do to have my backgound colors and styles appear in IE8?

• 1. Re: backgound colors for IE8
          Nancy O. CommunityMVP

Answers are in your code.  Can you share a link?

IE8 doesn't support CSS gradients.  If you're using them, you'll need to add MS filter alternates.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: backgound colors for IE8
            Mike M Community Member

background: #000000;

or

background-color: #000000;

should both work with IE8.

I never had any troubles with that. Check your CSS for missing punctuation too.  ":", ";" or "}" missing can or will throw everything after it off.

• 3. Re: backgound colors for IE8
              Nancy O. CommunityMVP

rgba (color & transparency)  is not supported in pre-IE9 browsers.

You'll need to feed older browsers an IE conditional comment with hex color codes.  Put this below all other styles and links to external CSS files -- just before the closing </head> tag.

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
              <style>
              body {background-color: #7CEF09;}
              </style>
              <![endif]-->    

That said, transparency isn't well supported either.  So you would need to use some opacity filters for that.  However I caution against using Filters as they create other unpleasant side effects such as disabling Clear Type.

I'll be so glad when IE8 is dead!

Nancy O.

Message was edited by: Nancy O.   Code got munged in the forum.  Let's try again...

• 4. Re: backgound colors for IE8

Www.replacementwindowsct.net/kitchen.html

• 5. Re: backgound colors for IE8
                  Mike M Community Member

body                    {background-color: rgba(102,204,0,.5);}

change that to

body                    {background-color: #6C0;}

and drop the opacity since older browsers won't "play well" with it anyway.

I try to stay away from RGBA color declarations and use hexadecimal. It's a personal preference which most likely makes no difference, but I can't see the purpose in decalring an opacity in a background.

• 6. Re: backgound colors for IE8

I was using the transparency to lighten the colors how should I go about doing hex and get the lightened colors

thanks

jim

• 7. Re: backgound colors for IE8
                      Mike M Community Member

http://www.javascripter.net/faq/rgbtohex.htm

There's a converter at that link.

Transparency is not a property that older browsers "do well" without a lot of tweaking.  Pick solid colors and leave them 100% if you want full compatibility with older IE.  I detest having to add all kinds of extra junk to a page just to make it work with a browser that should be more compatible with 2013 web standards... especially one from a company whose OS is on more computers than any other. It forces me to "keep it simple" in a lot of my designs, but I tell clients and I even put on soem sites I build that "this will look better in a browser other than IE". I really think Microsoft sould get out of the broiwser business. after all, they've demonstrated over the last fifteen years that they can't even get Windows right until a version has been around for ten years, and then what do they do? Replace it with something that people can't stand.