10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2013 11:33 AM by mpc999

Building ads onto layout

Brockton76

What would be issues with building ads directly onto the layout of a newspaper or magazine?  How could it possibly affect printing?

• 1. Re: Building ads onto layout
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Makes no difference as far as printing, but it's less versatile in terms of being able to use the ad in more than one place -- you have to copy/paste the ad instead of placing it. I've done a LOT of advertising prep, both for publications (my own or where I was employed) where I had control of the layout, and for submission where I don't have control.

I gave up making ads direct in the layout years ago because it just didn't make sense any more when I can place both PDF and .indd. You work with a single object in the layout without the hassles of having to group or ungroup to tweak something, and I can keep the ads in the clients' assets folders so I don't need to do a lot of searching if I need to see if we've got something we can modify for a new use.

• 2. Re: Building ads onto layout
            Brockton76 Level 1

Thanks again, Peter!

I'm dealing with a magazine this time.  I wasn given not notes from the printer as far as exporting goes...  I saved a beautful pdf wherein everything looked terrific & everything looks terrific on my inDesign layout.  They sent back proof where many of the pdf ads with smudgy backgrounds and all of my pages that I'd built right on the layout are perfect.  I don't know anything at all about magazine printing ut it seemed odd to me that they sent back a file 10x smaller than the picture-perfect one I'd sent them.  This is my first job of THIS nature (been working with newsprint a few months now) so I was certain there'd be problems - I just have no idea what's causing this one.

• 3. Re: Building ads onto layout

They sent a digital proof? it may have been heavily downsampled or low-quality jpeg compressed to make it mailable if the intent is to check position and spot typos rather than judge the quality of the printing. Did you pull a print of the layout yourself (from the file you sent them) to check the quality? The screen can be deceiving.

But as I said, placing an ad is not going to lower the quality all by itself. Either the ads are not up to snuff to begin with, or perhaps there's a color conversion going on whenyou palce them that is causing blacks to go to 4-color which can make type look fuzzy in print, but I wouldn't expect to see that on screen in a dgital proof.

You really should ask the printer why the ads look bad if you think they are OK when they leave your computer.

• 4. Re: Building ads onto layout
                Brockton76 Level 1

I KNOW they're okay leaving my computer - the ads I didn't make are from the previous issue, which looks perfect.  The lady at the printer told the project coordinator that it looks a bit better printed out - looks less smudgy - what's coming out smudgy is texy and the backround - almost like ti was a tiny file that got stretched out - which isn't the case.  My pdf that I sent via ftp to them is what I send to my other offset company - which they print from - the file is about 101 MB - they sent me back a file of 11 MB and told me to look at how terrible it looks - that's all the info I got through the project coordinator.  My first thought was export settings but I haven't heard anything back from the PC...  Of course, I'm under deadline (today) so I'm trying to get some answers and covering all my bases by asking questions here (since I'm still a bit green with InDesign) - my newspapers are looking GREAT though thanks to YOUR help in particular!

• 5. Re: Building ads onto layout

Did they give you a color profile to use?

• 6. Re: Building ads onto layout

Is the PDF they sent back imposed into flats for the press? I can't think of any way they could have ripped a 100 mb file and gotten a press ready file back out at 11 mb.

• 7. Re: Building ads onto layout
                      Brockton76 Level 1

They've given me no information whatsoever.  I also cannot understand how they got the file that small and expect me to make heads or tails of what they're talking about - they've run off a few of the problem pages and are giving the PC descriptions over the phone instead of scanning and emailing.  I've never dealt with either the offset company or the magazine - was hoping to make a good impression but I'd rather not keep jobs like this.  No matter what, the layout guys will take the heat for funky images or proofs!  Hahahaha!  Why didn't anyone warn me!?  I'm biting my nails because I honestly don't what to do! 

• 8. Re: Building ads onto layout

I detest having to work with two layers of people who don't have a clue waht youare talking about between me and the pre-press technician. If there's any way you can talk to the production department at the magazine or the printer directly, do it.

• 9. Re: Building ads onto layout
                          Brockton76 Level 1

Thank you, Peter!

You really have been a key figure in my training - your patience and direct answers are greatly appreciated.  I don't even know the name of the printing company at the moment - but I'm going to make some calls and see what's up.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

• 10. Re: Building ads onto layout
                            mpc999 Level 2

Check the PDF in Acrobat's preflight to find the resolution of the bad ads. I'll bet they just gave you a low-res "proof".