2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2013 11:52 PM by Test Screen Name

How do you get Acrobat/Reader to use timestamp server rather than computer clock for "Signing Time"?

The signing time (that appears optionally on the signature block) is set by Adobe (Acrobat or Reader) to use the Computer time ***not the configured trusted timestamp server****.   I have a CDS PDF-signing digital ID and timestamp server.   I have the timestamp server configured and set as the default timestamp.   Spent lots of time with Adobe on the phone - they promised to escalate for me.  But it's been 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything.  

I can set my clock on my computer to 1 week ago.  The embedded timestamp on the digital signature is correct but the Adobe-displayed signing time is 1 week prior.   I am concerned about having two timestamps on a digital signature that could conflict and offer the opportunity to repudiate the signature.

Anyone else have this problem and find a way to solve it?

• 1. Re: How do you get Acrobat/Reader to use timestamp server rather than computer clock for "Signing Time"?
          Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

This is going to get a little esoteric. The signature appearance, in other words what you see on the page, is not the signature, but rather a graphical representation of the actual signature. The actual signature is a blob of hex encoded, ASN.1 formatted data that conforms to the CMS/PKCS 7 standards written into the PDF file and is not something you see unless you open the file in an text editor.  If you move the computer clock back and sign a file, and the signature does not contain a time stamp no one would be the wiser.  However, if you move the clock too far back the signature creation time would fall out of revocation information's usable time frame, you wouldn't have any valid revocation collateral and the signature would be in an unknown state.

However, you were asking about the delta between the trusted time stamp server and the computer time. If it really is a reputable time stamp service and it's trusted by the document recipient, no one would pay any attention to the computer time displayed in the signature appearance.

That begs the question why can't the timestamp time be displayed in the signature appearance, That's because the signature appearance is created prior to the file being signed so that the appearance is covered by the digital signature. That way were someone to try and modify the signature appearance it would break the signature. So, the appearance is created before the actual digital signature is created, the other part of the equation is the timestamp is procured after the signature is created. In reality, the timestamp is a digital signature over the document signature. That is, the document signature is created and once it exists it is digested (hashed) and the digest is sent to the timestamp server to be signed.

What you end up doing is trusting the time that came from the timestamp server because you know they have no reason to fuss with the computer time that runs the server. Their business model is dependent on supplying accurate times, and as a disinterested third party they have no reason to lie about the time. However, by the time Acrobat gets a hold of the time from the timestamp token (the response to the timestamp request) all of the document signature has been committed to disk (that's another security issue) so the timestamp response has to be written into an unsigned portion of the signature object since it's really not part of the signature proper.

And that's probably way more than you wanted to know.

• 2. Re: How do you get Acrobat/Reader to use timestamp server rather than computer clock for "Signing Time"?
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Nobody looking at the validity of a digital signature should use ANY information on the page. I know they might, but it is quite wrong to do so. Accepting the date is only one step away from accepting the entire appearance at face value, and it would take only minutes to fake that.