3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 10:45 AM by archie2985

PC build and Disk Setup for a Pro-Wannabe

archie2985

Hi All,

I know everyone asks these questions and I thought I will not but, when you spend more than $3000 it feels their is no "Harm" in asking the question (but hopefully their will be Harm somewhere in the comments).

So, after waiting for the Mac Pro update for 2 years (just to fool myself that I may buy it), I have decided to move from the Mac OS to Windows after 4 years. I was only using a Macbook Pro to edit and feel now have the suitable experience to begin working on an actual machine.

If you ask my budget, I didn't have any so I went on a buying frenzy with my credit cards and will hopfully be driven to work harder to pay it off .

Here are the parts I have bought:

1. CPU - Intel 3930K (duh! I don't see a point in waiting for the 4th Gen)
      2. Mobo - ASUS P9X79 Pro
      3. RAM - GSkillz 32GB (8GBx4) @ 1600MHz 9-9-9 (as 3930K is limited to 1600MHz and 1.5V)
        Will buy this same set around end of this year to make it 64GB if I feel AE would eat it.
      4. Cabinet - CoolerMaster Storm Stryker (was buying HAF-XM but could not resist the looks of this).
      5. PSU - Seasonic 860W Platinum Plus (Thought 1k is overkill and 750 not future proof, pricey though)
      6. Storage (I thought I will get 1 cheap SSD and 1 Hybrid but then I read all the threads and went crazy)
        • Samsung 840 Pro SSD- 256GB - 2 nos.
        • Samsung 840 (nonPro) - 128GB - 2 nos.
        • Seagate 7200rpm HD - 2TB - 3 nos.
      7. Monitor (just fyi) - Dell U2412 (planning to buy ASUS PA '13 or Dell Ultra '13 24" after few months)
      8. .. finally GPU - Not bought yet
        • I ordered the ASUS GTX 680 4G as 780 was too costly
        • but then I read the actual successor to 680 is 770. So I cancelled my 680 but the seller still has not confirmed, just hoping they cancel. Then it turns out 770-4G is not yet sold in my country (am not from the US) so I may import from US (surprisingly importing from Amazon with duties costs the same as probable street price in my country). So I will mot probably buy a..
        • Gigabyte GTX 770 4G

So, Question 1> Any comments on the component list?
      As I plan to build this on my own, have not thought of overclocking as I am not a geek and feel I should first get comfortable. Fair thought?

And hence I have not bought any additional Fans or Coolers.

And now for the Question 2> disk setup! Can you please fill the blanks or suggest alternatives.

This is what I have planned:

C: > Samsung 840 Pro 256GB : OS and _____ ??

D: > Samsung 840 Pro 256GB: Previews and Renders and/or ____ ??

E: > Samsung 840 128GB x 2 RAID-0 : Footage and ___ ?? (the 128GB version has slowest write speed so assigned it to footage)

F: > Seagate 2TB x 2 RAID-0 HDD : Exports and General Personal Files (like Docs, Music)

G: > Seagate 2TB : Dedicated solely as Backup Drive for crictical data at any time (which for me can be on any drive, that is why no RAID3/5 I feel)

And I plan to use my old external USB2/Firewire/USB3 external drives (500GB/1TB) for manual backups.

I can buy 1 or 2 more 2TBs (not SSDs) if it is really critical for some configuration but not anything more.

Usage: I shoot only DSLR footage and use PPro and AE CS6. I have till now been using a 2009 17" Macbook Pro with an SSD. And could have been spotted sometimes using a Class 6 SD Card on a USB 2 card reader being used as the Media drive (Ouch!). I feel (a) now I have the skill to justify this as many times I end up not implementing an idea in AE as my machine just won't budge and (b) I plan to buy the BlackMagic Pocket Camera to learn capabilities of RAW media. Like many I do hope to make an indie in the next 2 or 3 years but I hope I can employ services of a professional who should at least give me respect when he looks at my machine

If you have made it till here, thanks for your time. Waiting for your comments.

Cheers!

Ps: And yes I am planning to subscribe to CC as its cheap for a CS6 owner. And then after 1 year will judge if I will continue with CC once upgrade pricing goes (hopefully yes as I wait for an extensively GPU using AE version soon).

• 1. Re: PC build and Disk Setup for a Pro-Wannabe
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

4 - if that is a mid-tower case, please reconsider

I built my computer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694 with a mid-tower, and part way through the build wished I had gone for a full tower with more room for cabling an cooling

My computer stays cool with the extra case fans I bought, but everything is very tight

I should have bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PC build and Disk Setup for a Pro-Wannabe
            JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding question #1, build list, and question #2 drive setup:

• everything looks great except...
            • add a good cpu cooler; lots of good choices out there including but not limited to: budget: Cooler Master 212 EVO, high-performance air: Noctua NH-D14, simple liquid: Corsair H110, full water cooling: many options (full water cooling is a pain to plan and build, but ooooohhh so quiet!)
            • RAM: suggest go for 64GB at the onset rather than trying to add RAM later
            • definitely plan on overclocking - 4 Ghz is a walk in the park and very safe since you aren't totally comfortable with overclocking, and the performance gain is rather significant for renders, etc.
            • One SSD is plenty to get started - 256GB would be good for OS, programs, as well as providing some room for AE and photoshop caching
            • 2 drives in RAID 0 would work pretty well for all projects, media, etc. If you really want to spend more in the drive area up the RAID to a 3 or 4 drive RAID
            • Suggest putting your backup drive in a hot-swap tray so you can remove it and provide off-site backup capability

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PC build and Disk Setup for a Pro-Wannabe
              archie2985 Level 1

Thanks John and Jim.

John, yes I was going for the HAF I will see when the Stryker comes and echange it if I feel it "just fits" stuff.

Jim, Thanks for the cooler and fan inputs will order one of these. RAM - well I don't have the cash for 64 but I will keep it in mind as a To-Do rather than a maybe. Honestly, didn't know the hot swap hard drive thing, things have changed since my last PC build (Pentium4) a decade ago.