8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2013 11:53 AM by marcos.lloret@gmail.com

Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?

marcos.lloret@gmail.com

Hello,

If you drag a transition in the timeline between two clips, before you release the mouse button, you can place it at the left, centered or at the right of the clips  (the cursor looks like a kind of flag and changes depending on the position between clips).

Theorically this should be the same than changing Alignment in Transitions Adjustments dialog box but it doesn't work to me, wherever I release the mouse button it selects Between Clips Alignment.

I'm reading Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Classroom in a book and in chapter 7 Creating Transitions it says "In the test software used while writting this lesson, where you dropped the transition did not affect the alignment shown in the Transition Adjustments dialog........". 

It seems that this functionality hasn't been improved since Premiere Elements 11 was being tested.

Does anybody can tell me if this option works correctly, please?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

marcos

I have written about the Premiere Elements transitions, video and audio, in great depth. The discussion of the video transitions is already posted in my blog. I am just about to publish the audio transitions part any minute. Will be back shortly to post the links to the blog posts. But for now, consider...

What are you having problems with in Premiere Elements 11 assumed Windows for now...video transitions or audio transitions or both with the new Transition Adjustments Pop Up?

In either case, when you drag your transition between the two clips, the "snap to" alignment will depend on whether or not the edges of the two clips are trimmed. And, you can different outcomes depending on scenarios such as:

2 untrimmed clips

1st clip untrimmed, 2nd trimmed

1st clip trimmed, 2nd untrimmed

2 trimmed clips

In the case of the audio transitions, there is a new wrinkle in the mix in that the Transition Adjustments Pop Up alignment choices are inactive and, when you close the Pop Up, the alignment is probably being pushed to Left Clip.

More later. If you have more information to give about your situation, please put it.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure that I have seen this behavior in PrE 11. When I drag a Transition to the junction of two Clips (each with adequate Handles), I immediately get the Transition dialog box, where I can adjust the Duration of the Transition, or the placement of the Transition - End of Clip A, Between Clips A & B, or Beginning of Clip B). Do you not immediately get that dialog box?

Are you on a PC, or a Mac?

Also, are you working with specific Transitions, and if so, which ones? [I am almost always using Cross-Dissolve, or Dip-to-Black.]

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?
              marcos.lloret@gmail.com Level 1

Thanks for your kind and fast reply A.T. Romano.

Both clips are trimmed.

Of course this is not a big problem and can be overrided selecting the right option in the pop-up screen.  I'm only asking in order to be sure that I'm doing it right.  But I understand that dragging the transition nearer the left video, centered or nearer the right video should avoid viewing the pop-up screen where you can select the transition alignment... Or why  the program distinguishes the position where you release the mouse button?

KR

Marcos

• 4. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?

Thank you very much for your time Bill,

Yes, the dialog box appears inmediately as you release the mouse button and I can choose alignment from there, so this is not a big problem.  But my doubt is about the purpose of releasing the transition over the left clip, centered or over the right clip.  What's the difference if I always get the pop-up screen where I should select the alignment?

I'm on a PC and I tried with Iris Diamond Transition in Expert Mode.

KR

Marcos

• 5. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

marcos

I should be ready soon to post my links to very detailed information on Premiere Elements video and audio transitions.

But of immediate report..

If I have two trimmed video clips on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline and I drag the Curtain video transition to either Left Clip, Between Clips, or Right Clip, the Transition Adjustments Pop Up will appear. I find no case yet where I can stop it from appearing with the placement of the transition. And, under the circumstances described (2 trimmed clips), the auto "snap to" will be to Between Clips, and that alignment will not be changed when I click Done on the Transition Adjustments Pop Up.

All of that is in accord with the Adobe Guidelines that it has published for what to expect for transition alignment for trimmed and untrimmed clips.

If I wanted Left Clip or Right video Clip alignment, I would have had to have selected that option before I clicked Done to the Pop Up.

Do you see anything significantly different from that when you are doing the same with trimmed video clips and video transitions in Premiere Elements 11?

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?

You're right!

It has to do with trimmed videos.  I tested with a transition between one trimmed video and one un-trimmed and it works as expected, the pop-up screen still appears but the alignment value selected is according to where I release the transition.

Thank you very much!!

• 7. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

marcos

Thanks for your follow up report. Much appreciated.

These are links to the blog post that I have created

PE:Video Transitions - Part 2 How They Work

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-video-transitions-part-2-how-they.html

PE: Audio Transitions Problem

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-audio-transitions-problem.html

Continued success with your project. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Does dragging transitions to timeline work in Premiere Elements 11?

Thanks for your valuable help!

I've skimmed some articles of your blog and all the information published on it seems to be very interesting.  I'll read it thoroughly.

KR

Marcos